ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: New rack: JOB DONE!  (Read 32808 times)

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
Re: New rack: work in progress
« Reply #45 on: Time Format »

Hey Max, so you don't know if it works yet ? I'm sure it will be fine LoL. As I said the light in the B200s power switches always dies  :facepalm: (my experience with them) and they may just have replaced it with one that works  :whoohoo!: and decided to orientate (a word I use rarely, not to be confused with oriented) the switch in a the more intuitive (ie down = on) direction. You'll love it BTW, the B200s goes "perfectly" with MP-1/2  :thumb-up: .

:headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger:
 :metal: :metal: :metal:
 :banana-guitar: :banana-guitar: :banana-guitar:
On the run again!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #46 on: Time Format »

Ok, I take it that all is good and you are in ADA heaven  :whoohoo!:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Iperfungus

« Reply #47 on: Time Format »

Ok, I take it that all is good and you are in ADA heaven  :whoohoo!:

Not yet...I miss cables still...but this evening....  :lol: :lol: :lol:
On the run again!

Iperfungus

« Reply #48 on: Time Format »

Ok guys.
I bought a couple of good speakers cables and 4 patches and connected everything.
Then I powered THE THING on.

At first I had a small heart attack, since one B200s channel had very low volume...then I powered it off, disconnected cables from cabinet, connected again and powered on...and everything was working f**king right!  :thumb-up:
Played for 2 hours and no issues.

Then I discovered that B200s + Blackstar 2x12 cab is a completely different beast and I have to re-eq all my patches...but...WHO THE HELL CARES???  :banana-guitar:

And...finally, for the first time, I heard how an ADA MP-1 sounds!
I enjoyed the stereo configuration a lot...clean tones (tube or solid state) are awesome with a small amount of chorus (MP-1 chorus, of course...), delay and reverb...and overdrives...well....overdrives....  :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger:

To answer rnolan..Am I in ADA Heaven???

f*ck YES!!!  :metal:

@rnolan: they also shortened the power cord...but it doesn't matter...and the on/off button works fine with its red light!

Some pictures...
The guitar is one of my Bruno Traverso's Silky custom guitars.

« Last Edit: Time Format by Iperfungus »
On the run again!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #49 on: Time Format »

:whoohoo!:

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #50 on: Time Format »

Ok guys.
I bought a couple of good speakers cables and 4 patches and connected everything.
Then I powered THE THING on.

At first I had a small heart attack, since one B200s channel had very low volume...then I powered it off, disconnected cables from cabinet, connected again and powered on...and everything was working f**king right!  :thumb-up:
Played for 2 hours and no issues.

Then I discovered that B200s + Blackstar 2x12 cab is a completely different beast and I have to re-eq all my patches...but...WHO THE HELL CARES???  :banana-guitar:

And...finally, for the first time, I heard how an ADA MP-1 sounds!
I enjoyed the stereo configuration a lot...clean tones (tube or solid state) are awesome with a small amount of chorus (MP-1 chorus, of course...), delay and reverb...and overdrives...well....overdrives....  :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger:

To answer rnolan..Am I in ADA Heaven???

f*ck YES!!!  :metal:

@rnolan: they also shortened the power cord...but it doesn't matter...and the on/off button works fine with its red light!

Some pictures...
The guitar is one of my Bruno Traverso's Silky custom guitars.

Man congrats on your awesome rack there Iperfungus!!! Yes I agree once you here that overdrive tone from an MP-1, or 2 or any ADA preamp you'll be hooked forever!!!   :headbanger:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter

Iperfungus

« Reply #51 on: Time Format »

Oh yes, guys!

I do enjoy this thing...

The B200s is a very good companion for the MP-1 and I love the 100% stereo image of the overall sound.
Rich you were right: I'm addicted!  :thumb-up:
I've tried to run the setup mono, just to compare the 2 solutions...and stereo wins 6-0.
I always loved Frank Hannon and his guitar tones with Tesla (Mechanical Resonance is a great album still!)...with my SG into THE THING...well...the drives are very close to Hannon's drives: thick and creamy.
I do not have to push MP-1 OD1 and OD2 too hard to get a very good distorted sound...with 7.0 and 7.0 I'm in metal zone already.
And I also love tube and SS cleans.

The match with the Blackstar cab is very, very good.
Probably this cab is better than any 1922 or 1936 Marshall cab.
I just have to fine tune MP-1 eq a little more with the new rig, but it's near to be ok.

Today I started to use the EQ within the G Major and first results are interesting.

I just regret I cannot crank the volumes up, since to me it's when you go after 7 with both channels volume that you unleash The Beast...but I've so many parameters to set the overall volume (MP-1 outputl level, GMaj input and output levels and B200s channels level) that I can get very good tones also at home leveles (without being arrested or risks of divorce...).

Now it's time for some tubes rolling.  :facepalm:
Then the MP-1 will go to MJMP...
On the run again!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #52 on: Time Format »

Hey Max, the B200s was designed for the MP-1  >:D they got that soo right  :thumb-up: . Interestingly (FWIW) I'd been agitating for a decent SS poweramp with a tube preamp from when I was 16 (over 40 years ago  :facepalm: when Mick Sampson was making BAEZ amps (great amps BTW) in Newcastle (Australia)). Anyway ADA did it and IMHO did it best...  :whoohoo!: .

So you Blackstar cab is open back  :thumb-up: , I had great success with a 2 x 12" open back (in stereo) (2 x 50w 8 ohm fender twin speakers) running a very similar rig, awesome  >:D .

Yeah once you've gone stereo, it's hard to go back..

Now volume is the thing, you'll have to tweak your master vol patch settings (and tweak your patches) at stage vol then wind the overall back (or, be all at sea LoL.. this is important BTW).

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #53 on: Time Format »

Well Iperfungus I have been watching this thread about your rig and you guys have me really curious about the B200 for my second rack.
Something Richard just mention though -

Hey Max, the B200s was designed for the MP-1  >:D they got that soo right  :thumb-up: . Interestingly (FWIW) I'd been agitating for a decent SS poweramp with a tube preamp from when I was 16

Richard what are your thoughts on the Micro Tube and would you still chose the B200 over it? Share your thoughts  :D
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #54 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC. I had a US version (ran on step down tranny) MT100 for a brief while. I traded it with Dante for a B200s (many years ago).  I wasn't enamored with the MT100, not that I used it for long.  Others here like the MT100 and MT200.  I like the concept and particularly the 1 RU size.  From reports here they are not as robust as the B200s (neon light issues).  Also they have 2 transformers which I would have to change to make a US version 240v.  They are a hybrid amp where the tubes "control" the mosfet output transistors.
My personal preferences for poweramp are:
B200s (or a G500s if you can find one)
Carvin TS100 (all tube and you can buy them new, nice amp BTW).
Carvin DCM200L (1 RU, very light, you can buy new, sounds great with MP-2/MB-1 rig) Mike ran through my rig on Sunday into a single (wired stereo) ADA slant split stack.

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #55 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC. I had a US version (ran on step down tranny) MT100 for a brief while. I traded it with Dante for a B200s (many years ago).  I wasn't enamored with the MT100, not that I used it for long.  Others here like the MT100 and MT200.  I like the concept and particularly the 1 RU size.  From reports here they are not as robust as the B200s (neon light issues).  Also they have 2 transformers which I would have to change to make a US version 240v.  They are a hybrid amp where the tubes "control" the mosfet output transistors.
My personal preferences for poweramp are:
B200s (or a G500s if you can find one)
Carvin TS100 (all tube and you can buy them new, nice amp BTW).
Carvin DCM200L (1 RU, very light, you can buy new, sounds great with MP-2/MB-1 rig) Mike ran through my rig on Sunday into a single (wired stereo) ADA slant split stack.

OK good stuff to know Richard - thank you!

I will be on the look out for the B200 because I know the MP-1 was designed and voiced to be matched up with that amp. For my main rig I'm keeping the Mesa because I have got a great tone and SCARY volume with it but for my second rack I think I want to go with the B200.

The other reason is that it would be nice to here all my settings in the plus registrars instead of all the EQs in the negative because of how much coloring the Mesa does. Plus I know that most of all the original ADA users had the B200s in their racks.
 Not only that but I bet the B200 will cost nothing compared to the $1599.99 the Mesa 2:50s go for!!!!!  :o
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #56 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, I hope you find a decent B200s, they are a good amp and a real solid workhorse.  Either the TS100 or the DCM 200L would also make you happy, they are both very transparent amps and work well with ADA preamps.

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #57 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, I hope you find a decent B200s, they are a good amp and a real solid workhorse.  Either the TS100 or the DCM 200L would also make you happy, they are both very transparent amps and work well with ADA preamps.

OK thanks for all the info Richard! I will be on the lookout and keep everyone posted  :D
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Iperfungus

Re: New rack: JOB DONE!
« Reply #58 on: Time Format »

Now we can call this thread JOB DONE!

The rack is complete and I'm deep in "tubes rolling tunnel".  :facepalm:

Fine tuned chorus, OD1 and OD2 trimpots.
Also started working with GMaj EQ after the Noise Gate...wow...
Awesome.

In short times it will go to MJMP...

The B200s is ok too, but I will post about it in the right topic.  :headbanger:
Great amp!!!
On the run again!

Iperfungus

« Reply #59 on: Time Format »

Well Iperfungus I have been watching this thread about your rig and you guys have me really curious about the B200 for my second rack.

Danny, you've to find a B200s!!!  :wave:  :banana-dance:

It's a perfect match with the MP-1.
They could have minor issues, but you can easily fix them in case.

It's a reliable stereo power amp, dead silent, very transparent, powerful and rich sounding.
On the run again!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up