ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: New rack complete!  (Read 58618 times)

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
New rack complete!
« on: Time Format »

Well Folks I thought I would share this since everyone has helped me so much in coming back on board with the ADA rack setup.
So here's the complete rig, which is beyond simple - stock MP-1 into the Mesa Boogie 2:50 power amp ( 6L6s ) and into Peavey 5150 cabinet with the stock Sheffield 1200 speakers ( rewired to 8 ohms ).

Now here's what I'm curious about what you guys think  ;D
Believe it or not... I preferred the fx send into my noisegate and delay then straight into the power amp over using the stereo outs of the MP-1! ( see my pic of the rear shot ) Has anyone tried this?
Why did I do this? The tone was a lot fuller and lively I felt than going into the stereo outs.

Just thought I would share  :)
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter

vansinn

Re: New rack complete!
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Looks very clean. Nice separation between the devices.
Fun with your usage of Fx as Outs; someone might want to test you claims and check out the schematics for difference to explain..

No external effects at all, except what's in the MP-1; not often we see a real bare bone rig like this.
If it's found out why the Fx allegedly sounds better than the normal Outs, you could fix this and opt for simply plugging a basic reverb pedal into the loop - this is what I currently do on my MP-2.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Downside of using the fx send is that you can't use the build in analog chorus of the MP-1.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, it's a valid patching idea as (in the MP-1) the Fx send output comes just after the tube section & eq and is still in mono.  It will be affected by the send return level knob (which is a ~unity gain knob ie as you turn up the send it decreases the return (and visa versa), this is designed so adding things in the loop doesn't stuff your gain structure (what goes in is what comes out level/volts wise (albeit modified/added to by Fxs). As MJMP says you then loose the rest of the MP-1 circuit, after the Fx return it feeds the "stereo" chorus, from this point on (after the chorus)  the MP-1 is in "pseudo" stereo. At the end of the day, it's whatever sound you want.  You can also take the headphone out direct to poweramp (or better sound card/PC input).  The headphone has very rudimentary cab simulation (reduces the top end a bit with a couple of capacitors) and this is in stereo and after the chorus.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

vansinn

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Downside of using the fx send is that you can't use the build in analog chorus of the MP-1.

Well.. then here's a crazy idea:
The 2:50 amp is stereo, so rewire the cab as a split-stack, run the MP-1 loop Send to one amp channel, and the MP-1 Out to the other amp channel.  Do beware of wiring the cab for proper Ohm's!
Might produce a cool sound, you never know..

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Nice little rig you got there, DJC!  :whoohoo!:

You need a multi fx in that spare rack space (buy moar!! lol )

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Hey guys!
 Been real busy buying more MP-1s for back up  :banana:

Yeah I know it's crazy the way I run my rig, I did the same thing 20 years ago. Here's the trick for me - running out of the send it's a real hot signal and a single cable that goes into my noisegate/delay pedal then a Y plug into the 2:50. When I engage the chorus it adds a fatness and dimension WITHOUT the washing of the chorus effect itself. You can hear and feel the depth, kind of like an imager.

If any of you would like to try this give it a shot - the send straight into your power amp! It may surprise you how amp like it is and responds like a head. Not everyone will like that because of losing your stereo options but I love the "amp" feel and just want loud mean power and tone with a little delay for my sound.
 But it may be a fun experiment for some of you - just shaing guys  :D
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Yep still at it - adding more cabinets now! :headbanger:
Decided to keep the other great working/sounding MP-1 aside to build a second rack this spring - or sooner!
Thanks guys always for your help, this wouldn't be possible without all of your input   :D
 :thumb-up:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

This means WALL OF SOUND, Dan!
Very good job bro!  :whoohoo!:

For the 2nd rack, consider a GMaj and a B200s....  :banana-guitar:
On the run again!

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Lookin' Good!!  :thumb-up:

I hope you're not married, because if you are, you're gonna be buying drapes or towels or bedroom sets to counter what you're spending on yourself  :lol:

Iperfungus

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Lookin' Good!!  :thumb-up:

I hope you're not married, because if you are, you're gonna be buying drapes or towels or bedroom sets to counter what you're spending on yourself  :lol:

Useless.
THEY know what you're going to do in the same second you think about it for the very first time.
And you will pay for that.
Wives are cruel beings from the outer space.
Dangerous ones.  :green-banana-smiley-emoticon:
On the run again!

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Well I will confess, I married an angel - married 23 years and she really supports what I love to do and hopes I get to see my dreams come true one day  :homer:
I have always put my family first and saved for my gear however this time my best friend came into some serious money and has sponsored my new rig!  :banana-guitar: It's amazing to have some great friends and family  :)

Now this, getting a few more pieces and the rack is still growing  :whoohoo!:
Got the Rane ME30 31 band EQ - AMAZING!!! And cut the mids that I wanted down slightly and now I'm golden!
Except for the TC fx or Quad or....................................Still trying to decide  ;D
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Iperfungus

« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

I see your point Danny and I share it.
My wife as well does the same...I've to be honest.  :thumb-up:
We married 17 years ago and she always supported my main hobby...also she suggested me to have a training with a serious and well known italian guitar maker to start my small activity with guitars and basses repair and setup (and I did it...).
I just miss a friend into serious money who would sponsor my gear, but I do not want to recriminate about this...  :lol:

Now...about growing racks full of crack gear, this is a dangerous place full of very dangerous people.  :banana:
And I love it!!!  :banana-rock:

I did not complete my first new rack yet (but missing stuff is coming fast!) and I'm building a second one.  :facepalm:
I already have the Zoom 9150...all alone now...with his dedicated 8050 MIDI controller and FP-01 expression pedal...should I sell it? Why?
It's easier to buy a Marshall Valvestate 8008 power amp, a 2U rack case and a Behringer FCB1010 MIDI controller for some nuts.  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Damage done.  :whoohoo!:

Go look for a TC GMaj, bro.  :banana-upsidedown:
On the run again!

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

I see your point Danny and I share it.
My wife as well does the same...I've to be honest.  :thumb-up:
We married 17 years ago and she always supported my main hobby...also she suggested me to have a training with a serious and well known italian guitar maker to start my small activity with guitars and basses repair and setup (and I did it...).
I just miss a friend into serious money who would sponsor my gear, but I do not want to recriminate about this...  :lol:

Now...about growing racks full of crack gear, this is a dangerous place full of very dangerous people.  :banana:
And I love it!!!  :banana-rock:

yeah I'm very lucky to have the amazing wife I have - I have several friends that wound up divorced over there musical gear and pursuits!  :lol:

And yes I'm keeping this rack really simple and now that I'm getting ready to try the Mid Mod I may not even need the EQ in there - but still FX ;D
 So I'm gathering intel on that still  ;D

I did not complete my first new rack yet (but missing stuff is coming fast!) and I'm building a second one.  :facepalm:
I already have the Zoom 9150...all alone now...with his dedicated 8050 MIDI controller and FP-01 expression pedal...should I sell it? Why?
It's easier to buy a Marshall Valvestate 8008 power amp, a 2U rack case and a Behringer FCB1010 MIDI controller for some nuts.  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Damage done.  :whoohoo!:

Go look for a TC GMaj, bro.  :banana-upsidedown:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

:whoohoo!: wow you guys are on a serious roll, now on your journey, keep in mind your gain structure  :thumb-up: .
Now switching is coming up, I use an ADA MXC midi pedal (7 pin midi lead, power comes from wall wart plugged into ADA preamp) and an ADA expression pedal (for real time CC control of stuff and an ADA quad switch for on/off CC control of stuff). And yes there are many other midi control pedals available (the Behringer FCB1010 being (a very versatile) one of them).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up