ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: New rack complete!  (Read 58988 times)

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
Re: New rack complete!
« Reply #120 on: Time Format »

And next you guys need to try a MP-2  >:D , a very different beast... LoL

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

You're the Devil...  :lol:

Oh.....did we forget to warn you about him?!?  I hate when that happens :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
On the run again!

Iperfungus

« Reply #121 on: Time Format »

Yeah this has not been too much fun and I am now jealous of all of you that have proper working ADAs. My buddy Jason and I have officially stopped buying any more ADAs. My main unit I have called the Holy Grail is a complete mess ( see pic ) and is not useable. The gain even on 10 sounds like a Marshall JMP, kind of a mild overdrive and now in goes into this mod after a few minutes.

Anyway, I just realized that I have hijacked my own thread with all this repair related issues. Amazing how excited I was with my rack just a couple weeks back and now the only unit left without issues is the one I sent to Philippe.  :-[

Hey Bro...I'm very sad for all this f**king bad luck you had so far...it looks like you're taking part to a "Bad Luck with ADA stuff Championship"  :facepalm:
I was sure you fixed the Holy Grail gain issue with new tubes...  :dunno:

But never loose faith!
You sent a MP-1 to Phil and it will return to you as new for sure.

Look...I share Harley's view point about many, many sellers...they're liars and/or complete assholes in many cases.
And there's a lot of messed up stuff sold at crazy prices around.
I've been lucky with my MP-1, ok...but, aside from sellers, old stuff wears out in any case...and I'm going to send my MP-1 to MJMP as well for some service, change of old parts and some mods (a new tube board, noise mod and a MDRT tranny).
If you find a good unit, it worth: Philippe 100% knows what's to be done and how to do it.
You sent him a MP-1 and you've a MP-1++ back!  :metal:

Just wait for the MP-1 to come back to you...then you could plan to send your Holy Grail as well, if you cannot fix it.

« Last Edit: Time Format by Iperfungus »
On the run again!

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #122 on: Time Format »

Yeah this has not been too much fun and I am now jealous of all of you that have proper working ADAs. My buddy Jason and I have officially stopped buying any more ADAs. My main unit I have called the Holy Grail is a complete mess ( see pic ) and is not useable. The gain even on 10 sounds like a Marshall JMP, kind of a mild overdrive and now in goes into this mod after a few minutes.

Anyway, I just realized that I have hijacked my own thread with all this repair related issues. Amazing how excited I was with my rack just a couple weeks back and now the only unit left without issues is the one I sent to Philippe.  :-[

Hey Bro...I'm very sad for all this f**king bad luck you had so far...it looks like you're taking part to a "Bad Luck with ADA stuff Championship"  :facepalm:
I was sure you fixed the Holy Grail gain issue with new tubes...  :dunno:

But never loose faith!
You sent a MP-1 to Phil and it will return to you as new for sure.

Look...I share Harley's view point about many, many sellers...they're liars and/or complete assholes in many cases.
And there's a lot of messed up stuff sold at crazy prices around.
I've been lucky with my MP-1, ok...but, aside from sellers, old stuff wears out in any case...and I'm going to send my MP-1 to MJMP as well for some service, change of old parts and some mods (a new tube board, noise mod and a MDRT tranny).
If you find a good unit, it worth: Philippe 100% knows what's to be done and how to do it.
You sent him a MP-1 and you've a MP-1++ back!  :metal:

Just wait for the MP-1 to come back to you...then you could plan to send your Holy Grail as well, if you cannot fix it.

Yeah I will send my Holy Grail as soon as MJMP tells me he is ready Iperfungus. The Holy Grail one started with arriving after Christmas Dead On Arrival and I did the battery mod on it. Then after a month it started losing gain and I went down the tube rabbit hole and thought it was fixed. Then a few days ago the gain dropped completely off and then it went into the full error mod so it will need MJMPs love and mojo to bring it back to life.
Of all the other units including the one MJMP has right now my Holy Grail unit is the ONLY one I really care about because I have NEVER heard an MP-1 like this one!!!  :o All the other ones we have I just don't like their tone stacks plus dead choruses or knobs not functioning as well as bad jacks. But who knows, MJMP may be able to bring back some magic in each of those too!   ;D
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter

Iperfungus

« Reply #123 on: Time Format »

But who knows, MJMP may be able to bring back some magic in each of those too!   ;D

He will, I bet...  :thumb-up:
On the run again!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #124 on: Time Format »

But who knows, MJMP may be able to bring back some magic in each of those too!   ;D

He will, I bet...  :thumb-up:

I'll do my best  ;D

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #125 on: Time Format »

As SC posted before, if you get a reasonably decent unit, if you change out and modernise all the bits you can (tubes, caps, pots, transformer (go MDRT  >:D , opp amps), there's no reason why they wont work rock solid for another 15 years.  This is the path Mike has taken with his MP1 and (while he has a few bits left to do (e.g. all the rear jacks), it's working fine and sounding good  :whoohoo!: . On the up side DjC, when you get the unit back from MJMP, it will be good to go, and that should give you some relief from your frustration while you get the HG fixed.

Re HG unit, I agree with MJMP, could be power supply issue (which I may be having myself with my recently purchased 240 MP1, now he (the seller) told me it didn't work properly so no surprises there, the US MP1 he also sold me seems fine (as he said it was)). Try swapping in a transformer (known good one) from another unit, may do the trick  :dunno: .
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #126 on: Time Format »

I will ship an other transformer back with the mp-1 so Danny can try that out.

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #127 on: Time Format »

As SC posted before, if you get a reasonably decent unit, if you change out and modernise all the bits you can (tubes, caps, pots, transformer (go MDRT  >:D , opp amps), there's no reason why they wont work rock solid for another 15 years.  This is the path Mike has taken with his MP1 and (while he has a few bits left to do (e.g. all the rear jacks), it's working fine and sounding good  :whoohoo!: . On the up side DjC, when you get the unit back from MJMP, it will be good to go, and that should give you some relief from your frustration while you get the HG fixed.

Re HG unit, I agree with MJMP, could be power supply issue (which I may be having myself with my recently purchased 240 MP1, now he (the seller) told me it didn't work properly so no surprises there, the US MP1 he also sold me seems fine (as he said it was)). Try swapping in a transformer (known good one) from another unit, may do the trick  :dunno: .

Yes I already feel a lot of relief just having MJMP here to help out with these issues - and Richard that is even more reassuring that like you said, I can get another 15 years out of it  :banana:
 And during this process I have become somewhat skilled at servicing these units, ie. did the battery mod, chorus repair on one ( the other one not ) and swapped out the trans so when MJMP send the new unit back with the working transformer I will be able to hopefully get another one working  ;D
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #128 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, and don't forget you can put in a new improved MDRT transformer (well it's 2 transformers really). Now when Mike did this to his MP-1 I was a bit gobsmaked how much more open it sounded. Takes away the "boxyness" of the MP-1, but then that's not what everyone wants.  IIRC MJMP also has some original MP-1 transformers  :dunno: .  I say this with the view to refresh everything you can, Mike bought a new "MJMP" stock tube board, new board, tube sockets and the best modern components (as he wanted it to sound the same (ie didn't want 3 TM) but get refreshed).  Now MJMP can do a bunch of this for you while it/they are with him, but you need to ask for it.  He does his best to keep the costs down. IMHO, if you can afford it (and lets face it, it's not sheep stations or boogie prices), then get everything done while it's opened up on his bench... and thus have a "refurbished" unit.

Iperfungus

« Reply #129 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, and don't forget you can put in a new improved MDRT transformer (well it's 2 transformers really). Now when Mike did this to his MP-1 I was a bit gobsmaked how much more open it sounded. Takes away the "boxyness" of the MP-1, but then that's not what everyone wants.  IIRC MJMP also has some original MP-1 transformers  :dunno: .  I say this with the view to refresh everything you can, Mike bought a new "MJMP" stock tube board, new board, tube sockets and the best modern components (as he wanted it to sound the same (ie didn't want 3 TM) but get refreshed).  Now MJMP can do a bunch of this for you while it/they are with him, but you need to ask for it.  He does his best to keep the costs down. IMHO, if you can afford it (and lets face it, it's not sheep stations or boogie prices), then get everything done while it's opened up on his bench... and thus have a "refurbished" unit.

Is it possible that me and MikeB are relatives???  :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm going to let MJMP do the same things he did to his one to my MP-1.
I'm in the same mood: no 3TM, original tube board layout, better/newer components and the MDRT.
I'm very curious about MDRT tranny...when you give the right voltage to tubes you can hear them ALIVE.
On the run again!

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #130 on: Time Format »

Well I certainly like the way you think Richard  ;D such great ideas really  :thumb-up:
Hmmmm - OK you just threw another log onto the fire Richard.........especially with the MJMP stock tube board!!
You should be MJMPs manager  :banana:

But you are on to something here for sure - thank you Richard!  :D
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #131 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, some say I think (and talk) too much  :facepalm: LoL. But like many here I have a passion for ADA gear and, as it get older, we are faced with the "well what else is there  :dunno: " question.  This came home to me a while ago when I thought about it, if my MP-2 dies WTF can I get that even gets close to it  :facepalm: . So I started acquiring MP-2s  >:D , much like what you are doing with MP1s but apart from one screwed up purchase attempted with "Joe Perry" where I didn't get the goods  :facepalm: , all the units I bought work (and all sound different even with the same tubes etc).

I don't think MJMP needs me to manage him LoL (or would want me to (he has a wife for that LoL)), but I have no problem highly recommending him and pointing people in his direction, I don't know of anyone else with his knowledge of ADA gear and also with a good range of modernised bits you can use to refurbish your unit. And all power to him (along with immeasurable thanks) for getting the MDRTs made at a price we can afford and a range of sub board PCBs etc.

The tube board came up when Mike was refurbishing his MP1, so you could remove and install new gold plated tube sockets (highly recommended by SC IIRC and makes sense, they do corrode/gather dust whatever).  Or you can (as Mike discovered) get a brand new (stock circuit) tube board populated with the best (modern construction) components and not burn your fingers LoL from MJMP.  I have a bunch of gold plated tube sockets sitting in the drawer to replace the ones in my MP2s.  Not a trivial job in MP2 though (hence still in the drawer, but I'll get to it one day). Wait till you see inside a MP2, there's not an inch/mm of space left...

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #132 on: Time Format »

Hey R, I'm touched  ;D

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #133 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, some say I think (and talk) too much  :facepalm: LoL. But like many here I have a passion for ADA gear and, as it get older, we are faced with the "well what else is there  :dunno: " question.  This came home to me a while ago when I thought about it, if my MP-2 dies WTF can I get that even gets close to it  :facepalm: . So I started acquiring MP-2s  >:D , much like what you are doing with MP1s but apart from one screwed up purchase attempted with "Joe Perry" where I didn't get the goods  :facepalm: , all the units I bought work (and all sound different even with the same tubes etc).

I don't think MJMP needs me to manage him LoL (or would want me to (he has a wife for that LoL)), but I have no problem highly recommending him and pointing people in his direction, I don't know of anyone else with his knowledge of ADA gear and also with a good range of modernised bits you can use to refurbish your unit. And all power to him (along with immeasurable thanks) for getting the MDRTs made at a price we can afford and a range of sub board PCBs etc.

The tube board came up when Mike was refurbishing his MP1, so you could remove and install new gold plated tube sockets (highly recommended by SC IIRC and makes sense, they do corrode/gather dust whatever).  Or you can (as Mike discovered) get a brand new (stock circuit) tube board populated with the best (modern construction) components and not burn your fingers LoL from MJMP.  I have a bunch of gold plated tube sockets sitting in the drawer to replace the ones in my MP2s.  Not a trivial job in MP2 though (hence still in the drawer, but I'll get to it one day). Wait till you see inside a MP2, there's not an inch/mm of space left...

Very interesting about the gold plated sockets - just curious how much a tube board with those already on it would cost??

And a key point you mentioned Richard - " (and all sound different even with the same tubes etc) " this is the thing that surprised me the most! Jason and I bought 9 MP-1s total ( one damaged in shipping so I never got to hear ) so 8 and they might as well have been different companies as far as the how radically different the tone stacks are in these units  :o.

My wife and I were at breakfast the other day and she seems to recollect that I had between 20 and 25 MP-1s back in the early to mid 90s and I know for certain of all those only two ever sounded the same and I built my A and B racks around those two. So I'm still hoping to find a close sounding pair to do the same now.  :D
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #134 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, the new tube board (IIRC) isn't particularly expensive ( I reiterate, get it done while MJMP has it  :thumb-up: and at least try the MDRT in one of the units (preferably the one you put the new tube board in (IIRC there's also a resistor change required on the tube board for the MDRT install  :dunno: )), The MDRT is a much better transformer (well really it's 2 transformers combined into the footprint). Actually, they way to go IMHO is to get MJMP to do all the MP1 Ultra+ mods without the 3TM (unless of course you want a serious 3TM gain monster  >:D LoL).

I was also very surprised by the sound difference in the various units (MP2s). Of them all the US model I bought is the "sweetest", go figure  :dunno: .

Hey MJMP, I know you are a humble soul but you deserve the kudos  :wave:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up