ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wires for Speakers  (Read 5284 times)

McLeanAB

• Adam's Music
Wires for Speakers
« on: Time Format »

Hey all!

I have found a lovely old beat up Marshall 1960av cab with no speakers as a project to have as a stereo companion to my newly loaded Green/Creamback 1960av cab...

The only thing I need (besides speakers!!!) is a bit of speaker wires for the inside with the non-soldered/clip on ends... where can I find these?  I looked on Stewart-Macdonald, but can't seem to locate what I need!

Help a brother out?

- Adam
-Adam
ISP Theta Preamp, ISP Theta PRO, ISP Theta Combo and Vector 2x12 with Celestion Alnico Creams, and Charvel Wildcards with EMGs!

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
Re: Wires for Speakers
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

You can get speaker wire almost anywhere, Adam. Nothing fancy or special about it.  Heck even Mal-Wart and Sadio Rhack has it.  As far as the actual terminals go, if you use the cheap. crimp-on style LIKE THESE (also available at those big box stores) you're going to want to first strip the insulation off those so you can get a reliable crimp on them.  Soldering them as well might be better too.  But if you get terminals LIKE THESE, they are worthy and need no soldering if crimped properly. There's a SPECIAL TOOL for those better terminals, which I do have.

vansinn

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Have no comments on the clips.
WRT wires, as long as we're talking about such short length as in a box, no need to buy yourself poor.
However, avoid thin electrics (0-75) wire; use at least 1.5 square.
I always stay away from PVC isolated wire because the di-electrics (speeleng?) of the insulation can affect higher frequencies.
Get something with Teflon or poly-whatever-it's-named insulation. (I just love shiny Poly-Esther 8) )

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Just get some 1.5mm² or 15 AWG wire in black and red color and use a drill to twist the wires to give it a better look inside.
For me personally I don't like using terminals.I always solder my wires.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I use either 15 amp or 20 amp power cable (just cut off the outside insulation if you want separate bits), cheap easy works well
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: [1]   Go Up