ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Watts and Ohms and Cabs and Oh My!  (Read 23783 times)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: Watts and Ohms and Cabs and Oh My!
« Reply #45 on: Time Format »

Dante,

I agree with you completely on running a single box in stereo. The stereo ambient speaker frequencies will cancel each other out if they are in phase with each other and make it harder for guitar to cut through in the mix. That was something I first learned about when I got my G-K 250ML.
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #46 on: Time Format »

When I split my old yamaha quad box I put a bit of cardboard down the middle which helped a bit and sounded great with my old MP1 setup (desk, Quadverb, B200s).  The split stack I have split into stereo/mono gets a bit flangy with the MP2 rig but sounds fine when Mike uses it at rehearsals with his MP1 rig.  Separate cabs are definitely the go  :thumb-up: (with at least a gap between them as wide as the widest cab to break the infinite baffle), but more to lug  :facepalm: .
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #47 on: Time Format »

Richard,

At 45 lbs per split stack cab, that's a lot less fuss than a 4x12 cab any way you slice it. :))
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

vansinn

« Reply #48 on: Time Format »

Dante,

I agree with you completely on running a single box in stereo. The stereo ambient speaker frequencies will cancel each other out if they are in phase with each other and make it harder for guitar to cut through in the mix. That was something I first learned about when I got my G-K 250ML.

I don't have a split stack setup (using emulation into studio monitors), but once had a Roland Jazz Chorus, so at least some experiences.
The Roland chorus was build to have no phasing-out problems, and produced a lovely ambient yet still localized effect.

I can see this phasing issue with a split-stack with i.e. the MP-2, which isn't really true stereo, but rather a mono chorus going to one side, and the other side simply tapping the mono chorus through a 180 deg phase reverse.
While this does generate the lovely effect we all know, even with spaced-apart speakers, the out-phasing gets horrible when physically moving across the sound scape.

My Digitech TSR-24S generates proper true stereo effects, including chorus, flange and multipole chorus.
I'm getting tired of the studio monitor setup, starting to desire a split-stack setup.
If so, I'll simply convert my MP-2 chorus to TrueMono ;) purely to thicken the plot, so to speak, and use the TSR mono-in stereo-return in the MP-2 loop for generating true stereo effects.
« Last Edit: Time Format by vansinn »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #49 on: Time Format »

Thicken the plot with the chorus is how I used to run my MP1.  Depth on 100 and rate 0.0
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up