Non ADA Gear > Rack Gear

Twin Tube GFX-1

<< < (2/30) > >>

Sparker:
Just got one of these, super-cheap from EB, ... but super high gain squealing as well (probably why super-cheap!!! Gotta love EB). Anyway, changed the 'hooting' tubes out and I'm really pleased with it, to my ears sounds like rich organic overdrive plus super high gain as well. Totally agree Digitech must have been checking out the ADA MP's when pushing this one out (weird with 2 transformers eh?). Strange none of their subsequent rack tube preamps sounded as good. Axe - I would like to hear more about your mods to this pre (I see the twisted wires to the tube board and the changed out caps), have you got any more mods in there? Got any schematics as well? I've emailed Digitech for some, but won't hold my breath.

Cheers

Mike

Sparker:
Digitech came good!! Got schematics if anyone needs them. Still loving this thing btw.

rnolan:
Go Sparker, good to hear, I've always had a soft spot for Digitech and my IPS33 has always been solid and still going strong 20+ years later...

Dante:
Whelp, here's an OLD bump...

I just picked up one of these GFX-1 units for less than $100. I figured, why not? It does not disappoint. I don't remember it sounding this good when I had one before.

When I brought it home, I could hear something inside rattling around....hmm... I opened up the case (each screw a new experience - lol) Man, it was dusty inside...and many loose screws. The tube board had three screws, one of which actually had a nut. DOH! I tightened that up as much as I could and it's much more solid now. The tubes were covered in dust and gunk - I wiped them off with a clean rag and found out they are Groove Tube GT 7025 tubes. Not particularly great in my Microtube power amp, but (from what I hear from Harley), they are good preamp toobs. Circa 1993-5 (I think - correct me if I'm wrong), they sound great.

I'm loving this thing and I'm gonna keep it as an emergency backup rig or a fly rig. Does it have what I NEED for a gig? Yes. Does it have everything I WANT for a gig? no...almost...

rnolan:
 :thumb-up: :whoohoo!:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version