ADA Preamps > MB-1

MB-1 for guitar? Oh yeah..

<< < (2/4) > >>

rnolan:
Hey Harley, 2 entry level basses worth checking out (IMO) are the Squire Jag (short scale) and the Music man Subs (5 string looks better than the 4 string).  There's a bunch of posts I made about them when a friend decided to get into bass playing, he bought the Jag first then gravitated to the sub.  But these days there's so much choice....

Samuraipanda:
Hey Harley,
I've had lots of good bass tones from my Ibanez soundgear Bass from the late 80's early 90's. really good active preamp on board. $80.00 on Craigslist.

Dante:

--- Quote from: Samuraipanda on September 26, 2016, 07:49:01 AM ---Hey Harley,
I've had lots of good bass tones from my Ibanez soundgear Bass from the late 80's early 90's. really good active preamp on board. $80.00 on Craigslist.

--- End quote ---
I have a Soundgear too, they play very nice and the active EQ is HOT.  :thumb-up:

vansinn:
The Harley Benton 5-string fretless is quite good - and dirt cheap.

Harley Hexxe:
Hey Gang,

Thanks for the suggestions, I've already checked out some of those and here's what I've figured out so far:

@ Richard, I've looked at Squires and MIM Fender Jazz and P-Basses, and came to the same conclusion about both; The hardware as well as the electronics would be something I'd end up replacing on either one. New bridge, tuners, and better pots, along with DiMarzio stacked humbuckers. In the end, the cost would be almost as much as the American Standard series, which I'd still replace the pickups on anyway.
    The Sterling Ray series basses also have a flimsy bridge on them, and I'm not too sure about the active electronics. The Stingray basses have a Mid-cut adjustment as well as high and low, but MusicMan seems to have the best active electronics on bass guitars out of all of them. (Not counting high-end basses like Alembic and similar brands).

@ Panda and Dante, one of the bass players I worked with in Toxxsick a few years ago, had one of those Soundgear basses, and it didn't really sound as good as his passive bass in a live band mix, I don't know why. He played through a Hardke bi-amped system, and it didn't really have any clarity on the high end EQ, plus there was a noticeable hum with that bass when he plugged it in, so he didn't use it much. I suppose it could have had a short in the circuit somewhere, but I'm not looking for another technical puzzle to solve.

@ Vansinn, a fretless is a cool unique sound to be sure, but that's the beauty of the MB-1, it already has a factory preset to make an electric bass sound like a fretless, so that eliminates an extra instrument if you need that sound.

One of my concerns about an active circuit in a bass in the MB-1 would be if I added gain to a preset, would I get an electronic hum with it? That includes any bass with an active EQ or preamp that takes a 9 volt battery.

Harley 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version