ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NCD!! New Cab Day  (Read 6848 times)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
NCD!! New Cab Day
« on: Time Format »

Hey folks,

I was dealing with the beam of sound issue in my two 1x12 cabs, just like Gerry and Richard, but rather than just cut some foam doughnuts, I bought a bigger cab!!! YAY! bigger is always better, right? It's a Hughes & Kettner Vortex cab.

What? I have to carry this thing? Crap.

Actually, it's lighter than most 4x12 cabs, despite it's large size. It is constructed out of particle board, which scared me at first. However, it's built really well, in that the front and back baffles are sealed in the tops/sides of the cab, giving it a tight punchy sound.  :thumb-up:

The things that sold me were: Tight punchy gains, shimmering CLEAR cleans, and the light weight. Oh, and the cheap price, I got it for $80 USD. As soon as I got it home, I took it apart, cleaned all the dust (and beer) off the cones, and rewired it for stereo (dual mono).

Samuraipanda

Re: NCD!! New Cab Day
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Sweet!!!! Great score.  :banana-rasta:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

What speakers are in there?

Wow 80 bucks is cheap!

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Nice!  That was a big selling point on my pair of 4x12 cabs as well....each one is a bit smaller than that standard-issue 4x12 (Marshall 1960 cab) and lighter than one as well.  That, and they were very inexpensive because they didn't happen to say Marshall anywhere on them.  ;)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Helluva deal!
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

They are Celestions, and they're V30 knockoffs, I think they're called Rockdriver Jr., and they are 60w each. I have them split, so I'm only sending 50w into 120w on each side. It's clean sounding, which is nice. It also has a punch like my ported 1x12s. What impresses me most is that I haven't changed a single patch to compensate for the coloration of my tone with a different cabinet. My patches sound the same.  :dunno:

Funny thing, this cab is lighter than my two 1x12s combined :)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

It must be the thin particleboard construction, which is a bit strange to me. I've always felt particleboard was heavier than plywood.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

It must be the thin particleboard construction, which is a bit strange to me. I've always felt particleboard was heavier than plywood.

Harley 8)

Me too. The walls of this cab are only 1/2" though, and most plywood cabs are 3/4", that could be it. Kind of a genius design, actually. When I took it apart I kept thinking how elegant the design is...for instance, how simple the grill is mounted. It's a flat piece of metal, that is bowed between a ridge at the top and bottom of the cab. You bend it, pop it in position, and only a couple screws (through the logo badge) hold the screen on. My Carvin cab had screws all the way around and it took FOREVER to take them all out. Crafty Germans

I can't wait to jam with a drummer but I have no gigs scheduled and no practices...gotta make some calls

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Great score Dante  :thumb-up: . I always liked having a quad box split into stereo
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: [1]   Go Up