ADA Power Amps > Microfet

Microfet 100

(1/8) > >>

Harley Hexxe:
Hey Dante,

I just noticed in your signature, that you have a Microfet listed in there. What is your appraisal of that power amp compared to the Microtube or the B200S?

Harley 8)

Dante:
I seem to remember it sounding good, but mine only works in one side. Also if my memory serves me, it's a delicate unit...breaks easy. I didn't trust it, so it's a backup to my backup, in storage.

I haven't used it in years, it's in a 2u rack with my old Quadraverb. You want me to pull it out and give you an updated opinion? Maybe I'll get all motivated and try to fix the broken side.

Dante

Harley Hexxe:
 No Dante,

I think you already told me what I needed to know about it now, and that would be these two things:

1) If it's that delicate, then it won't make any difference in a shock mounted rack. It just won't hold up to being moved around to more than a gig or two before it ends up in a repair shop.

2) It may have sounded good, but apparently not good enough to motivate you to get it fixed when you heard it. So from that I'm kind of getting a mental sound image of a MT100, without the presence control, which is just clean, un-altered amplification to the preamp sound.

The B200S still leads the way in solid-state guitar amplification.

Thanks Dante :thumb-up:

Dante:
I'd say your assessment is spot on  :thumb-up:

I did already have my B200s when I got the MicroFet, so I never really needed it. One of the channesl (I think chB) died shortly after I started gigging with it. I remember I used it with a Peavey TransTube, probably the best sounding preamp I've heard... after an ADA of course. It must not have been very remarkable a power amp, because I put it in storage.

That said, I took it out of storage just now. Man, the rack is brand new, I should really swap out this one for the 2u that I'm giggin with - that thing is TRASHED  ;D  As soon as I opened the case a memory came rushing back. There was a stripped out rack screw holding it in. I could not get that damn screw out. I ended up using a cold chisel and a BFH to pound it into submission. Needless to say, that chewed up the corner of the rack ear pretty good. As soon as I saw that chewed rack ear, I remembered the fun time I had trying to get that screw loose.

Since my MT200 is sounding puny in chB and since I have an extra rack space in my 4u rack anyway, I'm going to put the MicroFet in there and compare it with the MT200 using my MP-1 Classic and two 1x12 Thiele cabs. This should provide a pretty good A/B comparison, which is always fun for gear geeks like us

Party on Wayne, Party on Garth - Schwiiiingg

Harley Hexxe:
Dante,

It sounds like from your description, that the case they built the Microfet into, is the same case they built the MT100. That's a flimsy design to begin with, and my only beef with the MT 100 apart from the fact that one channel always seems to go out on them. I do like the sound of the MT 100 better than the 200, but they're just not reliable. Maybe we'll figure out what that flaw might be one day, but for now, all my MT 100's will remain in storage boxes.

Harley 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version