ADA Preamps > Original MP-1

Muddy/Mushy bass - HELP!!

<< < (2/5) > >>

rnolan:
Hey herbyguitar, hard to say, depends what you mean by lose  :dunno: .  My initial thoughts are:
Tubes - they go off over time but with use, not just sitting there.  Anyway a new set of nice tight tubes never hurts and often sorts it out.
Caps - the electrolytic capacitors dry up over time (with or without use) so the MP1 noise mod is well worth doing and tends to "tighten" the unit up
MDRT - this replacement transformer (available from MJMP) really makes a difference.  It makes sense to do the noise mod and MDRT at the same time as, IIRC, the MDRT mod requires some cap changes on the tube board
Rear jack mod - this replaces the front and rear input jacks, the front jack gets the most wear over time and needs to be replaced from time to time.

My friend MikeB did these mods and the unit is now like new, but a bit better from the MDRT.  Tube wise, he's using a Boogie STR (so a JJ) in V1 and a Mullard short plate in V2 (or is it the other way around ?)

rabidgerry:
I thought the bass was always loose, hence why people use a boost of sorts in front like I do on my stock units?

I don't think I could use without a boost to play heavy metal.  Perhaps I could for some songs, but the boost tightens it up big time!

rnolan:
Hey RG, I never noticed the bass being particularly loose when I used MP1, though I scooped the mids allot and they were always -ve, I never boosted them (IIRC you use and get good results with some mid boost, maybe this is compensating for the additional bass boost  :dunno: ), eq is all give and take.. and, in the end, whatever works.  And I wasn't playing much (if any) metal, more just hard rock.

rabidgerry:
RN you're playing very different styles to myself so perhaps you didn't notice a loose low end, but it's something I noticed right away.  MP1 is probably acceptable for hard rock

The extra gain stage totally sorts this issue.  For me I'd call it more "flubby" bass.  And no amount of distortion fixes it.  You need the boost unless you have a 3tm on the MP1.  It adds that extra layer as I call it thickens it up to give more "chunk".  I'm not getting into boost discussion here as it's already discussed on other threads, but I am just saying that my way to tighten up the bass is to have an EQ or OD from my FX pedal on in front.

I never have the mids on my MP1 down anywhere near as low (aren't we anti scooped mids on this board???  :lol:)

Also the volume drop is crazy doing that.  I might try it for a laugh but surely it's thin as f*ck scooping the mids?

--- Quote from: rnolan on October 12, 2017, 01:58:41 AM ---Hey RG, I never noticed the bass being particularly loose when I used MP1, though I scooped the mids allot and they were always -ve, I never boosted them (IIRC you use and get good results with some mid boost, maybe this is compensating for the additional bass boost  :dunno: ), eq is all give and take.. and, in the end, whatever works.  And I wasn't playing much (if any) metal, more just hard rock.

--- End quote ---
  No usually an OD from my Boss GT5 (it's analogue).  Obviously you need to set you patch accordingly.

herbyguitar:
I tried putting a tube screamer in front. I pulled down the gains to about 3 and ran the screamer @ around 75%. I also pulled down the EQs to zero except the mids which I ran @ -4. Ran a parametric in the effects loop set at +3db @ 80hz medium band. -3db @ 3.35khz wide band. +3db @ 4.25khz wide band.... seemed to get me close to where I want to be but still not tight enough for my taste. It's been years since I stopped using the MP1 and I don't recall why but this flubby bass problem may be the reason I retired it...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version