ADA Preamps > Original MP-1

Muddy/Mushy bass - HELP!!

(1/5) > >>

Guitar_lamar:
Hey everyone! I just got a ADA MP-1 (again). I missed that killer sound. However, I don't remember that bass being so mushy. I've tried multiple types of tubes and nothing really mattered. I pretty much have to lower the gain so much to clean up/tighten up the bass that it's not usable for rock tones. Is there a component gone bad? Something I can replace??  I have the Bass at 2, Mids at -2, treble at 6 and presence at 8. OD1 at 8, OD2 at 7, master at 5.5.
Tubes: JJ HG in V1 and Electro Harmonix in V2. Playing a ESP horizon with Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge.

Any help would be appreciated!

THANKS!

Dante:
Try pulling that mid down more, like -10. It will probably allow you to turn up that bass a bit.

That said, it sounds like maybe your unit needs to see a doc ( :facepalm: )

Guitar_lamar:
Thanks, I'll give that a shot.A trip to the Docs might be more money then just getting another.  :(

rnolan:
I seem to remember that all my MP1 patches (when I had one) had the mid pull down quite a bit, no less than -4 and typically -6.  What amp and speakers are you using ?  Also speaker box placement may help, If the box is on the floor the bass can couple with the floor and increase the bass (as will putting it in a corner).  Raising it off the floor will de-couple it which "may" help.  Tube wise, I put Boogie STRs in my MP1, they still sound great.  I'm not sure if I'd follow the JJ with an EH, or use an EH at all (kinda higher gain fed into a lower gain tube which doesn't seem like good gain structure).  When I embarked on tube research a while ago the EH tubes were not highly regarded by it's all very subjective.  I settled on the New Sensor Mullard re-issues and love them.  A member of the old board tried them in his MP1 and loved them also (and he tried quite a few different tubes).
Hope you get it sorted  :wave:

herbyguitar:
I had the same issue. I don't remember my ADA being so mushy. I retired it about 12 years ago. Got it out about a week ago. Did the battery mod. Plugged it in and WTF??? Even with the mids pulled out. It still sounds good but the dang thing sounds so loose now. It was never this bad before. What in the world would cause it to do this?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version