ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: MP-1 Tone Signature Mod descriptions  (Read 25631 times)

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
MP-1 Tone Signature Mod descriptions
« on: Time Format »

Here are the notes I had compiled for these mods.  I gathered this info from a few sources, namely the creators of the mods and from a bit of testing of my own.

MP-1 MOD DESCRIPTIONS       1-2-04

MOD 1       (created by Mark Howell)

This mod gives the MP-1 a more traditional Marshall sound much like the JCM 800.  It basically turns the 4th gain stage into a cathode follower, which is a key concept of that "Marshall crunch" that most rock guitarists have preferred since the inception of the JCM 800.  Paired up with a good tube power amp, you would be hard pressed to hear the difference between the JCM 800 and this ADA equilivant. Seven MP-1 components are removed on the tube board (one of which is replaced),  3 traces are "jumped", and one more trace is cut. This mod is easily reversible, provided that the stock components and traces aren't damaged during removal (the cut trace will need to be "re-jumped" if reversing this modification).

Pros:
Great "classic rock" tone.
The MP-1's Clean Tube voicing will be much cleaner.
Much cheaper than buying the traditional JCM 800!

Cons:
Not enough gain to support the "metal" players.
MP-1 still has the fair amount of noise it already has in stock form.

MOD 2      (created by Mark Howell)

This mod adds diodes to the gain structure to create a "fuzzier" tone.   It should be pointed out that this idea gives a somewhat "sterile" sound to the MP-1, very much like adding a solid-state Overdrive pedal in front of your traditional tube amp.  It should be also pointed out that while the schematics for this mod "look good on paper" it may or may not be of any real benefit to most MP-1 users, since this mod makes the gain very "buzzy" and "harsh" and could be reminiscent of the guitar sound usually associated with "industrial" genres of music.

Pros:
Great sound for "industrial" players.

Cons:
Loses the "pureness" qualities of a tube preamp.

MOD 3        (created by Mark Howell)

This Mod brings a "rectified" quality to the tone signature of the MP-1, which is usually known for it's "hot-rodded Marshall" like characteristics.  The Tube Distortion voicing has a smoother, creamier overdrive.  Those looking to achieve a "Mesa/Boogie" or a "Soldano" type of a medium-level overdrive will find it here.  High-gain users will notice the lack of "cutting power"  when playing single-note leads. Also easily reversible.

Pros:
Brings the "rectifier" tone closer to MP-1 users, for those who desire that tone.
Makes the MP-1 much quieter, and eliminates most of the extranneous noise.
Individual notes in chords are easily heard.

Cons:
Brings the "rectifier" tone closer to MP-1 users (for those who do NOT desire that tone).
Single notes lose the "bite" that the stock MP-1 was known for.

MOD 3.1             (created by Mark Howell)

This is the first "Modded-Mod" for the MP-1.  It tries to bring back the attributes lost in the original MOD 3.    This mod shares most all of the features with the previous MOD 3, and is easy to do provided that the MOD 3 was already in place.
The gain level is brought up a bit over the previous version, and the single notes have more of the "bite" that was lost before.

Pros:
Brings the "rectifier" tone closer to MP-1 users, for those who desire that tone.
Makes the MP-1 much quieter, and eliminates most of the extranneous noise.
Individual notes in chords are easily heard.
Single notes have more "bite" than MOD 3

Cons:
Brings the "rectifier" tone closer to MP-1 users (for those who do NOT desire that tone).

MOD 3.666          (created by Hairston Bagg and Marshalljmp)

This mod is more extensive to perform, as it addresses some EQ issues on the motherboard, as well as modifications to the tube board.  The "Mesa" tone still shines through with this mod, and the available gain is VERY high (much higher than any Mesa equilivant). The Bass and Mid EQ points have the ability to be "customized" to each individual user through the creative use of adjustable internally located trimpots.
The mids can now be viciously scooped out if desired, and the bass frequency point can also be altered and "tuned" to the particular speaker cab being used.  This results in a very tight sounding bass "thump" instead of sounding "flubby". Combine this tight bass with the mids scooped out severely,  this mod will give the MP-1 a truly "evil" sound;  hence the name "MOD 3.666".  The Clean Tube voicing has more gain available, and thus produces a nice crunchy overdrive as well. 

Pros:
Tons and tons of gain.
Customizable EQ points for the Mids and Bass.
Clean Tube voicing gets very "crunchy".

Cons:
More gain equals more noise. You will need a gate for high gain mayhem.
The adjustable trimpots are designed for a "set and forget" situation.
Clean Tube voicing is even harder to achieve a truly "clean" tone.

MOD 4          (created by Hairston Bagg and Marshalljmp)

This mod retains the "Marshall" sound, but brings it to the "heavily modified Marshall" sound.  Those looking for those Zakk Wylde, George Lynch, and pre-Peavey-endorsed Eddie Van Halen tones should find all that here in this mod. Screaming leads, harmonics galore, and tight rythym sounds. This mod has not been completely released to the Do-it-Yourselfers as of this writing, but is currently available from Hairston as a service.

3TM             (created by Hairston Bagg and Marshalljmp)

This mod is considered VERY extensive, only because it requires a completely new redesigned tube board to allow 3 preamp tubes to be installed in the MP-1 instead of the 2 tubes it was designed and manufactured with.  The original conception of this mod is credited to the great (albeit elusive) Todd Langner, with Hairston and Marshalljmp working to make this mod available to nearly everyone.  Having a third tube gives the otherwise stock MP-1 some more usuable gain, and a even more "tube sounding" quality.

Pros:
Todd Langner-designed concept.
3 preamp tubes instead of 2.
Can now realize the full potential of the MP-1.
Replaces old tube board with a brand-new redesigned board.

Cons:
Replaces entire tube board. (which really isn't a bad thing!)

El Chiguete

Re: MP-1 Tone Signature Mod descriptions
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

GREAT mod guide to have in 1 place the description of all those modes in comparison!
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

What is heavier 3tm or MOD 3.666?  Just curious, have no intention of getting 3.666
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

What is heavier 3tm or MOD 3.666?  Just curious, have no intention of getting 3.666

I suppose it depends on what you would define as "heavier".   
EQ-wise, the MOD3.666 has the ability to scoop Mids a bit more than than usual and allows the user to "tune" it's Bass control frequency to whichever cab is being used. 
Gain-wise they both have more Gain than you might need.  An example of that might be that when I had the 3TM, I never even used the Tube Dist voicing; everything I needed to be "heavy" was handled right in the Tube Clean voicing.

jgd

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Does the 3TM only add gain?
Because what I would consider an improvement on my current MP 1, would be more tightness in the bass.
More of this cold, dead, metal-on-metal palmmute tightness.

(if that makes any sense...)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hi jgd,

The 3TM has LOADS of gain. The only way to get any clean sounds from it is with the SS voicing.
    I totally get what you mean by the palm-mute tightness, and it is possible with the 3TM to get close to the more modern low end 'chunk,' but you have to spend some time with the EQ and the OD1 and OD2 to get the right balance.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

jgd

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Ok, thanks.
Well, I actually don't need LOADS of gain.
I think the stock MP 1 had more than enough gain.
I never get these "more gain kinda mods" anyhow.
I mean, come who puts the gain on 10 anyhow.
I currently have OD1 on something like 4.4/4.6 and OD2 on 5.
That, with EMG's, and the original tubes, is enough gain for me.
I found out that keepin' OD1 somewhere around 4, also adds tightness in the bass.

I really bought it for a Metallica-ish tone. (Master, Justice, Black era).
And that tone doesn't have that much gain anyhow, you know, just enough.
Keepin'the character of the guitar clear and open.

So, thanks.
If the 3TM bring a bit more tightness, thats awesome.
Im gonna try one out somewehere next week, at MarshallJMP's place.
« Last Edit: Time Format by jgd »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

You can change the bass centre frequency to be a bit lower (which sounds like it may help get the tone you want), there's some posts elsewhere hear about that but if you are going to MJMPs, take your MP1 with you and ask him about it.  Be good to get him to check it out for you as well...
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Hey jgd,

I agree with Richard, if you are going over to MJMP's place, then HE is the one who can tell you exactly the state of your MP-1. There is no one better for that :thumb-up:

As for the more gain mods, I guess it's a matter of taste. I also believe there is plenty of gain in a stock MP-1, but I have a 3TM also. So the way I'm using that is with my MP-1 in the same rack, and if I'm in a song that has a dirty rhythm part and want to go to a solo over that and have the solo cut through the mix, I use the 3TM. It's similar to my two smaller racks which have a Classic in one, and MP-2 in the other.
   Honestly, I could get by with the MP-2 instead of the 3TM for super high gain. It does everything from vintage gain to modern, and all points in between.

Harley 8)

jgd

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

What are the effects tone-wise?
So besides apparantly buckets of gain?
Is it also an improvement tone-wise?

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Tone wise you get a tighter sound,the original mp-1 tends to get muddy and noisy when you use higher gain settings (OD's above6.0),the 3TM won't. Also although the 3TM has more gain it's less noisy.

Like Harley says the tube clean is gone but it's turned into a brown channel,sounds a bit fatter then the tube distortion and has a bit less gain.I usually use it with OD1 set fairly low, between 2.0 and 3.0 and OD2 between 5.0 and 7.0.This will give sounds from ACDC to some hair metal sounds (boosted marshall).

But I can show you all that when you come over.  >:D

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Like Harley says the tube clean is gone but it's turned into a brown channel,sounds a bit fatter then the tube distortion and has a bit less gain.I usually use it with OD1 set fairly low, between 2.0 and 3.0 and OD2 between 5.0 and 7.0.This will give sounds from ACDC to some hair metal sounds (boosted marshall).

Brown channel?  Compared to the Classic, and the MP-2, the Brown Tube voicings in those will go clean, and remain fairly clean even when you max out the OD1 and OD2. Kind of like a dirty rhythm tone, but smoother. The 3TM has a lot more distortion than that in the former Clean tube voicing, and the Distortion voicing is downright obnoxious. A lot more hair on both of them.

Maybe Matt set them too high when he worked on it? :dunno:

Harley 8)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

I don't know anything about a 3TM, but I will say that the Brown channel in the Classic is NOT the brown channel in the MP-2 (FYI).

So MJMP...which brown channel sound were you referring to?

jgd

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

But I can show you all that when you come over.  >:D

YES!  :thumb-up:
Im actually very much looking forward to that!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

I don't know anything about a 3TM, but I will say that the Brown channel in the Classic is NOT the brown channel in the MP-2 (FYI).

So MJMP...which brown channel sound were you referring to?

I know that's right Dante, and I'm sure MJMP does too since he has all the above :lol:  I can also say the 3TM doesn't sound like either of those. At least, mine doesn't.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up