ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: ADA Monster Rig  (Read 30316 times)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: ADA Monster Rig
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Actually 5881 tubes are only rated for 400V and not 700V.

I vote for the T100S

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Well, the MT200 does have the advantage of being lighter, and a single space unit as opposed to the B200S which is 14 lbs each and two rack spaces.
You wouldn't think that matters much in a 22U rack case unit you add up the weight.

Then there is the fact that my MT200's seem to be making a bit more hiss, so I think they may be due for a cap job.
   MJMP, do you agree?
   Speaking of MJMP, You seem to be an advocate of the 9005 Marshall Power amp. May I ask why that particular model stands out to you?

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Actually 5881 tubes are only rated for 400V and not 700V.

I vote for the T100S

I was quoting Mike Soldano on the 5881's. He says this is why he prefers them in the poweramp section of the SLO-100. IF I could find T100S, I'd jump on it.

Harley 8)
« Last Edit: Time Format by Harley Hexxe »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Never a bad idea to do this.Do they also hiss with nothing connected to the input?

What do you mean by "particular model"?

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

I thought you had a T100S?

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Sometimes I notice a slight hiss when I power them up, but that could be because I have the preamps plugged into them. I've never powered them up by themselves to see if that happens.

As for the 9005 Marshall, I've noticed you've recommended that one in a few posts, even over the 9200 series. You said you liked that one better. May I ask why? Is it the sound, or reliability?

Nope, I don't own a T100S. I wish I did, but they are few and far between. I have a couple of B200S'.

Harley 8)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

The 9005 sounds better and it has the output transformers from the old JCM800 50W amps.There are only 2 tube power amps I like from Marshall and it's the 9005 and the 20/20.Those newer 9100 and 9200 don't sound so good to me.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

The 9005 sounds better and it has the output transformers from the old JCM800 50W amps.There are only 2 tube power amps I like from Marshall and it's the 9005 and the 20/20.Those newer 9100 and 9200 don't sound so good to me.

Ahhh, now that is some useful information, and it gives me an idea what it would sound like with the Classic. Heck, even with the MP-2, and it's super gain structure, that might be useful for getting some more dynamics from the MP-2. Maybe lowering the gain in the MP-2 and driving the amp harder?

Harley 8)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, you don't see them often but a B500s would give you a single amp option (I've only ever seen one of these in my time), about the same power as 2 x B200s. Designed to do just what you are wanting  :thumb-up: ie run 2 stacks of ADA cabs  >:D
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP, is it possible to mod my B500b to be a B500s (ie same output per channel)? It's US voltage so would work for Harley.

Hey Harley, if it's easily doable (my B500b is at MJMPs and just been serviced), so could be a possibility ?

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard,

It's not about the power, it's about the tone!
   I had this conversation with the techs at ADA many years ago when they were up and running, and at the top of their game, and that was about why the older amps sounded so good. In the older amplifier designs, they built these great preamp circuits, that produced a strong signal. So much so, that if you turned up the preamp past a certain point, it would overload the input of the power amp section. This produced distortion as we all know, the technical definition of distortion for audio electronics is: the sound of circuitry in distress.
    So what we are doing with our gear is producing the distortion in the preamp, and trying to amplify that as cleanly as possible. That isn't what I want to do. That's why I'm looking at how other members here evaluate their setups with different power amps. Are they getting more of that natural response from the poweramp that they use? Does it sound more like a natural guitar amp rather than a digital simulation?
    You see, I believe the ADA preamps have a strong enough signal. Now, it's a matter of finding out if the non-ADA poweramps get this old school reaction from them.
   I'm intrigued with MJMP's suggestion of the Marshall 9005, and this is because I am very familiar with the JCM800 series tone. It's a good one. That's a reference I can relate to. I'm very particular about the amplifiers I like, and there aren't that many.
   For my clean tones, I like the old Fender amps, nothing can beat them. Marshall amps have a nice clean tone but different. But the true reaction from an amplifier that catches my attention, is when I plug my Stratocaster (stock), into it and turn up the guitar volume, and it begins to feedback in a musical way before I even start playing it. This tells me I have the right amp for my guitar! I've only experienced this with Fender, Marshall, Soldano, and ADA when plugged into certain poweramps and speakers.
   That's where I'm going with this rig.

Harley 8)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

Well the B200 and 500 had some kind of preamp in them but only on the early models,the later ones didn't have this anymore.
Now the pcb has the holes and traces for it but it's just not populated.But i must say I never saw one with the preamp.

@R Those B500's are all the same inside just the lettering on the outside is different.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP,

Now there might be a challenging project for you. With your experience and engineering skills, I'll bet you could design and build a power amp specifically tuned for ADA guitar preamps, that would out perform anything that's ever been made out there. It would probably outlast them too. Valve or solid state, I'll bet you could make it sing!
    I'd be wiling to roll the bones on that one :thumb-up:

Harley 8)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

(@R Those B500's are all the same inside just the lettering on the outside is different.)

So can the B500Bs 2 outputs be made the same rather than A - 385/4, 255/8, 127/16 and B - 275/4, 210/8, 105/16 ?
Also just checked the old spec sheets, seems the guitar version was a G500s A and B each 385/4, 250/8, 127/16 (My bad thought it was a B500s  :facepalm: )

@Harley, if you want some poweramp distortion then the ADA SS amps are probably not the best choice. Though last night I was thinking for 8 split stacks (4 left - 4 right) 2 x B200s would match well, one pair of split stacks for each B200s output, so in parallel, 4 ohms, maximum grunt  >:D (and I suspect would get your strat singing  :thumb-up: ).
Other wise it's tube options, they way MJMP does it is neat, wire one of his Marshall heads inputs direct to the poweramp.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

The G and B500 are the same amps,no difference between them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up