ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Downsizing...  (Read 17294 times)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: Downsizing...
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Ok,so moving to Japan hé,how long are you going to stay there?or is it permanent?

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

4+ years...just came back from a house hunting trip and rented a nice house in the Tokyo 'burbs. Planning on moving in early June

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Is there a German base in Japan?

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

DAMN. Me likes the tiny rig!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, I've been wanting to come over for a while just to meet you guys and get out of Australia for a bit. Getting the finance required has been problematic with the way my contracts have been going but I'm hoping to make it this year. And seeing your gig would be a big plus  :thumb-up:

Hey MJMP, would be good to add the switch to the MDRT mod. 
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Sooooo subjective and very individual....

You don't wanna go there ....
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

A few people I know here have bought one.  One guy loves it but he doesn't play live. A guy I know who has used his live says he still prefers the tube input on his amp in a live context but it's great for studio.  I like that they use fractal algorithms and dedicated DSP chip.  I must go try one sometime.

Only downside with ADA preamps is their age IMO.  If I could buy a brand new MP2 tomorrow I would.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Sooooo subjective and very individual....

You don't wanna go there ....

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

That 5%  do you think you would get that if you were using real speaker cabs?

You already went half the route yourself...Logidy EPSI, correct?!

Ok I wouldn't equate that to half but may be that's just me,  I don't use the fake speakers live  :nono:

It's

preamp - FX unit - Power amp - guitar cabs - live

preamp - FX - Epsi - studio.....................................(well the room in the house where I do these things  :lol:)

However when I arrived here I was using half FRFR setup and I nearly went full FRFR.  Using the amp models on my Boss to go into clean amps but into real guitar cabs was what I was doing.

I'm only asking you because I see a trend in people getting rid of their pre's.  Just for the record though a trend that excludes myself.  For example I bought my 3TM of a guy who got........wait for it.............wait for it an Axe FX.

So I'm curious to know what the user of the top MFX unit around thinks in comparison, I'm not criticising or anything as impulses are enough to make me want to use them forever and ever recording wise so I believe in the power this technology has.  I have also talked about the possibility of touring with my EPSI as my speaker sound.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

;) I know how you use the EPSI, just exagerrated a bit with "half the way" ;)

Well, there's definitely gonna be no fanboy-polemic for either one side or the other from me.
What works for me / sounds good to me doesn't necessarily have to sound *good* to others.
I prefer the Boogie Mk typo gain texture/tone over anything else which resulted in building the Triaxis/2:90 rig and not an MP-1/Marshall rig.
But then, the Triaxis was the first trade-off in my sound pursuit as it's just a close proximity to my holy-grail IIC+ DRGX and MkIV Ch3.
If I'm happy and convinced with the result I personally don't care that much how I got there.
So the whole package does the trick for me. It sounds and feels as close to the real deal as I can judge myself (subjective, individual), is convenient, easy to set up, easy to lig around and (very important) consistent.
If I can achieve all that I couldn't care less on wether that's done with 1s and 0s, Tiger-Shark DSP chips, analog ICs, tubes or whatever.
Sound quality, tonal comfort zone and convenience. That about sums it up.
Almost forgot: the possibility to shape/alter any given amp model to my likings! Lets say I totally dig the Engl Savage overall, but to my personal taste I'd rather rather have it with 6L6 instead of the 6550 and bias them really hot for more sweetness, also reduce some poweramp negative feedback and give it more SAG for some more fluty spongyness....endless possibilities to fine-tune something that is otherwise in the real world limited by its given hardware and physics/electronic bounds....

But then you see, it took me almost half a year to get aquainted to all controls and parameters and to at least scratch the surface of all possibilities (ok, I didn't dive in there 24/7 as real life and family dictates some different priorities).
AND, after I finished the final book of "A Song Of Ice and Fire" I RTFM and the AxeFX Wiki ;)

If I manage to find some time in between preparations for our move to Japan I'll try and post some clips...
In the meantime you can check out the real awesome thrashy Act of Defiance "Birth and the Burial". Chris Broderick tracked exclusively with the Axe II
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

Yeah I know what you mean about diehards for one side and diehards for the other.

No shame in taking a year to work out the fractal.

It took me years to get amazing at the Boss GT line.  Honestly I bought the GT6 in 03.  Played about with it for a bit.  Then ditched it for like 3-4 years.  The I started working with it at home.  Then gravitated to using it live.  It made getting a GT8 and GT5 easy then as I understood the logic.  But There is still aspects I have no clue about like all the midi shit etc.  So I can see how it will be a learning curve.

I think this is where I am at with preamps.  It's not as simple as a stomp box amp guy but it's not full blown mega programmeville either with multiple amps and things used.  My setup is a few patches I like on the preamp, some buttons and a external footswitch programmed on an MFX to turn of and on effects simultaneously and stereo set up and that's its.  Some might say my set up is complex but these sort of people are usually people with the most basic setup.  I'm sure there is a lot more complex than my stuff.  But the point of all this yackin is I feel I wouldn't use an AXE FX to it's full capacity and it almost would be a waste.  Hell I doubt I'll ever have 128 saved settings on my MP1's.  Although as time goes on and songs get written you sometimes need to find a new patch to suit.  With the rockmaster I have no ability to save settings, I just leave it as it, and dial the MFX setting up around the basic tone set by that preamp.  The EPSI for example, I stick with one or two impules.  I get lost surfing through the 100's I have saved.  However I might have a go looking for a scumback impulse as I liked Els tone in his mahogony project.  Tried a few fane impulses as well the other week, nothing neating the JBM K120 at the moment though.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

Y'know, when I picked up my first GX-700, I used it alone as a preamp. It's all solid state, it got me about 85% of the way there - haha. But, it did some things more tubey than my ADAs, like cleaning up better with the volume knob  :dunno:  How'd they do that?

My point being, I can be a complete tube snob at times, and I was still getting good results without the toobs. In a pinch, I could use just the GX-700 if the ADA went down and vice versa. It's good enough for who it's for - bunch of drunk clowns screaming Freebird! If the convenience, reliability, and consistency are all there, I'd definitely be swayed to a 95% alternative.

Of course, I'm actually getting to about 90% now with the GT-8 and it's pretty dang portable and durable, just not so consistent.......yet......I'm getting there. Once done, I'll have a combo/pedalboard rig that is much smaller than the full stereo rig, and still smaller than carrying a pedalboard with a rack.

Let's get small

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

It's good enough for who it's for - bunch of drunk clowns screaming Freebird! If the convenience, reliability, and consistency are all there, I'd definitely be swayed to a 95% alternative.

I nearly pissed my pants reading this line.  I was that drunk clown shouting "freebird"  :lol:

Anyways, the GX700 is a good unit.  Analogue drives section.  May be that is linked to the input some how and makes for a nicer clean up when rolling back the volume? 

Dante, do you use the wha in the GX700?  Since this is basically my GT5 in rack I was thinking of starting to use it.  When I tried it the other week for fun, it sounded pretty good, and analoguey.  Perhaps is going through some of the same circuitry that is responsible for the distortions??? hhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm,  anyways what you think of the wha on that unit?  ^-^

I was getting good results with my Boss GT6 so I know where your coming from.. If anything my experience with Boss units for so long has schooled me in many ways and prepared me for running pre's.  There is a show we did last year and I'm still running the GT5 for my actual distortion tone, with was an Od boosting one of the digital pres it has and some chorus.  I thought that sounded shit hot!!  I wouldn't fully ditch the onboard stuff, not if I can still get some great sounds.

Back to the down sizing point.
There is nothing wrong with it at all.  In fact may have to leave my rack shit at home when it comes to touring  >:(  Which means it's going to be GT5 + power amp + cabs (supplied by venue).  I went to holland last year with this setup.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

Anyways, the GX700 is a good unit.  Analogue drives section.  May be that is linked to the input some how and makes for a nicer clean up when rolling back the volume? 

Dante, do you use the wha in the GX700?  Since this is basically my GT5 in rack I was thinking of starting to use it.  When I tried it the other week for fun, it sounded pretty good, and analoguey.  Perhaps is going through some of the same circuitry that is responsible for the distortions??? hhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm,  anyways what you think of the wha on that unit?  ^-^

The analog drives could be what makes that possible...doesn't the ADA pre do that too? I don't know, just asking

I have not tried the wah, I have a V-wah that has a million different sounds and a dirt box inside, so I use that. I seem to like the Vox Wah sound and the clean booster in that thing. I will give the wah a go in my GX-700, but i'll need to find my ADA expression pedal - lol - I think it's in the box for my wah pedal.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

Yeah Dante, try that out and see what it's like.

I kinda thought the GT5 was good.  Better than what I had thought initially, and a nice couple of options to boot, like frequencey adjustment and mix control, autowha.  GX700 bound to have similar.  I should know really since I own a GX700 too lol.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up