ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Power Conditioners  (Read 72376 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: Power Conditioners
« Reply #150 on: Time Format »

Yes RG I did listen to the clip. Night and day difference!!! Good work :thumb-up:
  Totally man, and I just recorded that using my phone held in front of a speaker cab.  Very pleased with the outcome!

I been reading up on these isolation transformers.  Still don't really understand how they do what they do.  I read that they actually attach boats to isolation transformers to stop them corroding whilst tied up in docks.  I dunno what the hell that's all about but hey!  Works form ground loops and galvanic corrosion.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #151 on: Time Format »

Isolation transformers are used on boats for safety reasons and also to prevent galvanic corrosion.

Here's more info about galvanic corrosion  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #152 on: Time Format »

Isolation transformers are used on boats for safety reasons and also to prevent galvanic corrosion.

Here's more info about galvanic corrosion  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion

Oh I know, I read that article when I stumbled upon that, I still don't understand that though as a lot of that jargon means nothing to me. 

When a ground loop is broken, where does the ground go?  Into the transformer?  Then the signal comping out of the transformer, the seperated signal, has no ground, so how come there is no noise from the lack of a shield? 

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #153 on: Time Format »

Galvanic corrosion is when you attach 2 different metals too each other and put them in a neutral elektrolyte then you will get a voltage difference in these 2 metals so one metal will have a higher potential that will break down this metal quicker then other. Like I said explanation in a nutshell and not 100% accurate.

As for the ground,well in your case on primairy side you have the ground of the GT-5 and on the secondairy side you have the ground of the preamp.The way an isolation transformer works is that in stead of flowing current through the wire you get a flow through a magnetic field so there's no actual connection between the 2 sides.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #154 on: Time Format »

@ MJMP

ahhhhhhhhhhh "black magic" then  :lol:

Yes these things are complicated as I can see from even your basic explanation.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #155 on: Time Format »

yes you could call it black magic  >:D

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #156 on: Time Format »

Update: (I know this thread has mutated from Powerconditioners to breaking ground loops but hey!)

Played three nights in a row, traveled 742miles, used the Art Clean Box II at every show!

Result?  I had a quieter rig than the guy from the band we were touring with (who had two huge framus heads and a tube screamer and some fancy expensive modualtion unit I can't remember the name off).

His rig was buzzy and noisey, my rig....................silent!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #157 on: Time Format »

Great!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #158 on: Time Format »

Isn't that a great feeling? :thumb-up:
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #159 on: Time Format »

yes it is indeed.  The ground loop was main noise artifact that I had to get rid off.  And killing it left me with the level of noise I would have minus the ground loop, which turns out to be little to none!!  Meaning all the time spent making good cables for myself and shielding guitars has paid off.

The dude in the band we were touring with, his rig was badly affected by lights from what I could hear.  He had the other kinda noise (not hum but the sorta buzz you get from like emf).  I didn't  :thumb-up:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #160 on: Time Format »

Well you learned so much you could start a business in optimizing gear  :lol:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #161 on: Time Format »

Good news RG  :thumb-up: , so what sort of PUs was the other guy using ?  And all the good work you did with cables and shielding etc is always worth it.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #162 on: Time Format »

hmmmmm I dunno Richard.  He had a Jackson, that's all I remember.

In this pic you can see his guitar.  No idea about the pups.  Could be the stock ones.  MJMP will know about the guitar or someone else who knows Jackson stuff, Soloist perhaps?
http://metal-on-metal.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Risen_Prophecy_live_11.jpg

No idea why he was getting noise.  Really nice fella.  Playing with that band in Ireland for another three dates at the end of the month as well!!!  Can't wait to loose weight via energetic stage performance yet again lol  Lost 4 pounds this weekend!  Not that I'm fat mind you.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #163 on: Time Format »

Could be a soloist x series ,these usually come with duncan designed PU's or a soloist pro (seymour duncan)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #164 on: Time Format »

Well they are humbuckers then (which was my main interest, as he has noise).  Maybe you can help him sort it out next gig you do with them ?
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up