ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: maybe looking for new audio interface  (Read 38269 times)

El Chiguete

Re: maybe looking for new audio interface
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Does this lose some of the nuances in this process? By that I mean, if I wash the audio through my reel to reel to get the tape compression and a bit of tape warmth, will that get lost in the conversion process?

My answer to that would be to check this thread I posted http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=1318.0...
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Hi Gang,

Okay, so now it comes down to a few choices. I've been looking at a few audio interfaces, and what I'm wanting to do is have at least 4 inputs that I can take from the mixing desk straight into the interface to go to the PC.
     I know the preferred DAW here is Steinberg, so I'm looking at the UR242 or the UR44. Both also include Cubase AI. Or would there be a better option for how I want to do this?

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

I wouldn't narrow it down to Steinberg only....SW wise there's lots of equal or better solutions than Cubase...Sonar, ProTools, Reaper,....just to name a few.
I can highly recommend the Focusrite Scarlett series of DAW USB audio interfaces, the 6i6 e.g. According to your preferences....
http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-6i6

Or if you wanna go pro, the 18i20
http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-18i20

Computer-wise, processing and calculating power (processor, sufficient RAM) and not too many apps running in the background is your friend ;)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

IMO i think Harley is better off with the UR44.It has 6 analog (4 mic 2 line) inputs (6i6 has 4 + 2 digital) and 4 out line out and 2 main outs.(6i6 has 4 line and 2 digital).The UR44 also has 192kHz while the 6i6 has 96kHz sampling.

And it has a build in DSP which also looks very good.The UR44 has a bit less latency.And you get cubase AI8 with it which is better then ableton live lite you get with the 6i6.And another advantage is cubase works well with the UR44 (which is build by yamaha),great driver support and overall support.

Now don't get me wrong focusrite is also very good (got a octopre hooked up with adat to my tascam DM-3200 and it works great),but for Harley's needs i guess the UR44/cubase combo will be better suited.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

I wouldn't narrow it down to Steinberg only....SW wise there's lots of equal or better solutions than Cubase...Sonar, ProTools, Reaper,....just to name a few.

I appreciate the suggestions here, but I'm only trying to get a good quality audio transfer into the laptop. I already have too much gear, so I'm trying to keep the cost down to a reasonable amount, with a minimum amount of equipment to add-on. I'm a firm believer in trying to use what I have on hand, rather than to ditch it all and start with a whole new setup.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

IMO i think Harley is better off with the UR44.It has 6 analog (4 mic 2 line) inputs (6i6 has 4 + 2 digital) and 4 out line out and 2 main outs.(6i6 has 4 line and 2 digital).The UR44 also has 192kHz while the 6i6 has 96kHz sampling.

I must have read that in a hurry then, because I'm actually looking for 4 line inputs. The Mic inputs aren't really that critical since I want to use the Mixing Desk to go to the interface. I'll have to go back and see if the input levels are switchable.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

These are 4 mic/line inputs so in total 6 line in.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP,

I thought they were. I've seen quite a few of them for sale in the used, and "Open Box" category online, and they are only going for a couple hundred dollars. That fits the budget. I also have two laptops to choose from as far as using for recording, This HP Envy dv6, which has Windows 8.1 on it, or an Acer Aspire that has Windows 7 on it. The Acer has a brand new 1 TB HD that I had installed in it, and I can upgrade the memory from 4Gig to 8Gig to make it faster. The HP already has 8Gig memory, and 500Gig HD in it, plus both have built in cams in them. That can come in handy for shooting home made videos, along with my Android phones and a video cam which I'm thinking I'd like to try to do in the studio.
   I have a lot of Adobe software for video editing that may only work up to Windows 7. So, the possibility of recording some good audio tracks and syncing them with video footage may be within reach.
   Hmmm....the possibilities are getting me excited :whoohoo!:

Thanks guys for all the help!!!

Harley 8)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

You may need to be careful about drivers for W8.1, W7 has a much bigger footprint and support base for various devices.  You might consider putting a SSD in the Acer (so it will run like the clappers) and move the 1TB HDD into a USB3 removable chassis/cradle.  Adobe stuff will run much faster on SSD also.  Other advantage is you can back up to the external and make sure you never plug it in unless you are NOT connected to the internet (ransomeware protection).
Most gadgets with Mic/Line inputs use a dual purpose socket, XLR around the edge for mic and a 1/4 jack up the centre. And if you do all of your monitoring from the desk, you won't have latency issues.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

+1 on the SSD,best investment i ever made on all my pc's.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard, MJMP,

SSD? :dunno:

The Acer has only 4Ghz memory right now which is why I'd upgrade to 8. That's what the HP has in it. All the PC's  will automatically connect to the internet as soon as you power them up. but I can disconnect it. That is why I picked up the Acer, was because it has Windows 7.
    And yes, it was my intention to do all my monitoring from the desk, from at least 4 of the subgroup mixers. I want to come out of these subgroups and load the audio into the PC, then final the mix from there. At least that's how I'm picturing it in my mind. I don't know if that's the best way to do it, but it's a starting point.

Thanks again,

Harley 8)
'
« Last Edit: Time Format by Harley Hexxe »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP,

Thanks for the link. Now I remember looking at these. Very pricey, but I guess it would make sense. The trick will be if it's possible to convert the Acer to take a SSD. I'm not even sure if that model has a USB 3 port. I'll have to look that up.
   Sheesh, now the audio recording upgrade jumped from $200 to $700, and that doesn't include the memory upgrade  ???

Harley 8)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

Well memory is very cheap these days and SSDs are getting cheaper and with external storage don't have to be as big (e.g. http://staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=256gb%20ssd&spos=6) and they are direct replacements for the laptop 2.5" drives.
I generally use the channel direct outs into the I/O (as my desk has them and I'm not trying to submix) but the approach you are contemplating is sound (if you don't have direct outs on the channels), just puts another fader in between.  You can also make some cables to use the channel inserts as direct outs (although no fader control as comes just after the gain knob, but easy to adjust for that with I/O input levels (you still want the mixer gain as high as possible (before clip) so the channel still has good levels)).
So leads for channel direct out from insert jack:
Stereo (ring/tip/sleeve (RTS)) to mono jack (tip/sleeve (TS)), take the send (usually the tip of the RTS) to the tip of TS, bridge Tip and Ring of the RTS (so doesn't break the chain) and earth is earth (sleeve to sleeve). I had a Yamaha desk that had channel inserts but no direct outs and did it this way, works a treat.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard,

Yes, The memory is cheap these days, and that's not really a problem. I'm probably going to try it out with the HDD that I had installed in it before I contemplate swapping that out with a SSD. The SSD will require a conversion to work in this laptop. A 1 TB SSD is currently going for around $450 here, and the conversion kit is another $25.
    The reason I want to go from the submix channels is so that I can premix instruments like drums, and stereo guitar mixes, (sometimes I like to use two stereo channels for guitar to use effects separately, and then layer the mixes, to keep them more articulate. Example: Clean guitar with stereo chorus in one mix, and Crunch guitar with Ping-Pong Delay or Reverb in another mix, and mix the levels of each with each other until it sounds like I want to hear it).
    I already have TRS cables for patching in the channel inserts, but using this method to go to the I/O will bypass the channel EQ's, and each channel has 6 EQ frequencies, with selectable Pre or Post EQ, or if I choose, I have a switch on each channel to bypass the EQ altogether.
    Adding the effects to anything in the channel strips via the Aux sends and returns gives me a better rendering of the original sound with much less coloration from the effects in respect to the original tones. This applies to all the instruments/vocals that I want to put through the desk. In particular, I have a few favorite drum mixes that I like. One is to use a subtle Large Hall Reverb on the snare drum, (sometimes with Echo Repeat, and sometimes without), then add a Phaser, or Flanger to the toms for those John Bonham type drum fills. A slight mix of Plate Reverb on the cymbals gives me a bit more sparkle, and brightens up a dark drum sound. A clean, very low frequency Bass guitar tone will brighten up and become a bit more articulate with some chorus added to it. These are just a few examples of some of the tips I've picked up over the years in studios I've worked with.
     I don't know if I can get these same results with the software that comes with these audio interfaces, or how different it will sound in the final mix by attempting to do all these same things in a DAW, since I don't have much experience working with that method. I basically use the software to capture what I'm putting in to it. ie - replacing my reel to reels with a computer.
     Maybe I'm looking at this from the wrong point of view?

Harley 8)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up