ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Introducing: Rnolan (aka Richard)  (Read 5900 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Introducing: Rnolan (aka Richard)
« on: Time Format »

Hi All, my name is Richard and I live in Canberra Australia. I got my first ADA MP1 somewhere around 1987 ish. I was playing in a rock original/covers band called the Queue.  I used to do guitar repairs for a couple of the music stores one of which was Pro Audio founded by Nunzio Gambale (Franks brother).  Nunz used to go to the NAMM show to check out what gear to import/distribute.  He had boogie already and added ADA and Tom Anderson guitars to his list.  When the first MP1s' arrived he got me to check it out, sound 1 the Marshall sound.  I was blown away and "had" to have one.  At the time I was running a complicated rig with a 1972 Marshall 50, A Marshall 100 keyboard head, a double 12 cab, a Quad box and a Rockman (split across the 2 Marshalls) for lead solos and a couple of effect pedals.
I simplified the rig going for MP1, Quadverb, Digitech IPS 33 smartshift, ADA B200s and a little 8 channel mixer to bring it all together.
When the MP2 came out I sold my MP1 rig to a friend and bought an MP2.  I kept the effects and bought a pair of ADA split stacks.  Pro Audio where building the cabs here under license and the only 8 ohm celetians (so I could have 4 ohm cabs) I could buy at the time were the boogie 90w 12s.
The rigs much the same today MP2 > Quadverb > Midiverb 4 > IPS 33 mixer although my B200s went crackle and pop on one channel so I bought a Carvin TS100 amp.  I picked up a single split stack and modified it to be stereo (16 ohm x 2) or mono (8 ohm) as this matches well with the TS100 or I can plug my old Marshall into it.  I can get away with just the one cab for rehearsals or small gigs.  I used to run a whole bunch of different patches for various songs but these days I use 3 sounds, clean, chunky rhythm /lead and my old rhythm sound more distorted lead.
Apart from playing/building/repairing guitars I'm also a sound engineer although these days my day job is ICT Security consultant.

Nice to have the forum back and catch up with some of the old crew but also meet some new members :-)
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
Re: Introducing: Nolan (aka Richard)
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Richard,

I hope you don't mind, I split your post into it's own topic so you have your own bit of Real Estate :)

Nice to see you again too

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Introducing: Rnolan (aka Richard)
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hi Dante, fine with me my friend, I'm between jobs at the moment so I've been trying to devote a bit more time to the depot and build up some content etc.
Thanks for getting it back on the grid :-)
Cheers R

W.Laturno

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hello Richard,

I recently took the plunge and picked up an MP-2 - So far so good ( asides from the other night grabbing a mono patch cord and plugging it into the quad switch and getting this really bad funk outta the gear - I thought a tube broke or something lol - rookie ).

Anyway, I wanted to ask ya if you find time, perhaps you could share some of your favorite patch's ? There is a separate area for MP-2 patches.....

cheers !

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hi W.Laturno.  Welcome to the land of ADA.  After all these years I still think the MP2 is the best valve pre-amp ever made.  I liked my MP1 also (as do many who visit this site :-) ).  I'll put my current 3 patches in the MP2 patches section.  There are a bunch of patches in my old MP1 that I ran up from scratch and refined over many gigs, I'll get its current owner to put them up as well as he hasn't changed any of them.
Cheers Richard
Pages: [1]   Go Up