ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New MP-1 owner. Need help!  (Read 12135 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: New MP-1 owner. Need help!
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Good tube article posted here (http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=546.0) and more here (http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=547.0) to help get you head around it. :crazy:
« Last Edit: Time Format by rnolan »
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Aren't the spax7 specially made for lower noise than traditional 12ax7's? In other words, I don't mind other brands, particularly mullard, but the spax7 has a different design from what I understand to be extra low noise.

Hello Aramism, :wave: and welcome,

that's the way I understood all the info on the spax7. I run them in my MP1, JMP1 and Voodu Valve. To me they sound great clean and driven hard. :metal: They also come with a "sheath" covering them which is suppose to cut down on vibration and other microphonic noises. I did try the str-12ax7-a's but to my ears the spax7 had much more definition and clarity.
Mullard's also sound great in there, GT's not so much, kinda fizzy

I had a similar noise issue (not the siren part though) I ended up swapping the power transformer out of another MP1 I use for parts and it cleaned right up. Maybe someone else could chime in on that...MJMP, rnolan, mike b? Any of you have a power transformer issue before?
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Hey Soloist, As far as I'm aware the spax7 is just the best of the batch (found to be most stable) so they wrap it with an additional shrink wrap shielding (for even less microphonics and to differentiate them from the other STR 12AX7-As) (if you take off the shrink wrap, they are the same as a STR, just tested to find the best of the bunch). Hey they are great tubes but they are the same design as the STRs (which are typically very high end JJs). They are also a very short plate design so again less microphonics (good for bass amps or combos where speaker box vibration can affect the tubes at high volume).  If you pick the very best and most stable from a batch of Mullards or Sovtects or Tung Sols or Tads or JJs etc you achieve much the same result from a noise/microphonics perspective (which is what most decent tube vendors/stores do anyway). They also cost double the price of other new tubes and are quite "2D". And for all the testing, they can still fail in 2 minutes and there goes $55  :facepalm: .

I haven't had a transformer issue (MP1 or MP2) although MJMP advised the original MP1 transformer isn't as good as it could be. Hence the MDRT was designed (by Machinator from the old board) and built. We haven't put an MDRT into MikeBs MP1 yet but will soon.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Usually the original transformer start to hum but this is a mechanical hum.

aramism

« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Hey guys sorry for the long break got caught up with a bunch of projects. Anyway, I'm back into the swing of things. I just left this alone for now and used other amps to finish those projects but now am returning to it so I'm gonna re-evaluate all this and revisit my mp-1. I re-racked it in my control room as opposed to out all messy in my live room. So I'll read all the replies again and keep everyone posted. I need to do some general service, get it as quiet as possible, pick preamp tubes, and get some killer sparkly clean sounds!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Ok keep us updated !
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up