ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP1 Line Output Level?  (Read 3841 times)

Dna^Yay

MP1 Line Output Level?
« on: Time Format »

I have been looking on the forum and in the manual to see what the output difference is between instrument and line level. I run my MP1 into an ENGL 930/60 power amp and the reason i wanted to know was there is a HI and LO gain switch at the back. Apart from the noticeable difference in volume, is there any benefit to setting the power amp to HI or LO in conjunction with the MP1?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: MP1 Line Output Level?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Dna^Yay, I can fell one of my gain structure diatribes coming on LoL. Short answer is yes. best is MP1 line level and ENGL input set to Hi.
Only the very early MP1's had inst /line  level switch. This was so they could plug into a poweramp (line level (best)) or a guitar amp (inst level) coz back then everyone one had a guitar amp but maybe couldn't afford an additional poweramp (so broader market and what was happening back then). To attain the inst level out, the signal has to be dropped from line level back down to inst level within the MP1. Yeah you can do that, it works, but is not good gain structure and will introduce more noise.  So the ENGL lets you adjust the poweramp sensitivity so you can plug in gadgets with only inst level out (e.g. the new MP Channel1 which is inst level out only, perfect candidate). Once the signal is at line level, it's best to keep it there. inst level is much more susceptible to RF interference etc. To run inst level from MP1 to ENGL input set to Lo introduces 2 more gain change stage changes, MP1 lowers internal Line level to inst level, ENGL then increases back to line level for poweramp inputs. So really you just add a bit more noise. However, if one or other "sounds" better to you for whatever reason, it will work.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: [1]   Go Up