ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which cabinets do you use?  (Read 43742 times)

finstah

• Jurrie Rocks
Re: Which cabinets do you use?
« Reply #45 on: Time Format »

I've got some Mullard EL-34's brand new in the box I bought from Doug's Tubes years ago that I'll sell ya if you're interested. Also have some old Telefunken EL-34's from my JCM800 days. For me, right now it's the KT-77's biased around 40-41.

Definitely look into a Weber tube biaser. Best investment I made to tweak tubes and experiment.

Sorry for the hijack.  :wave:

mike_mp-1

« Reply #46 on: Time Format »

Few years back needed a small cab to play around with, picked up a vintage Randall 2x12 cab, had white snake skin, looked cool, but dyed it black. Has older 1970-80s vintage Jensens in it, thought will blow these and put new ones in, plugged it in, and great sound and have not blown them yet.

I did add some insulation and got a bigger bottom and little bit tighter bass, great little cab.

Also use a Marshall 4x12 1960AV slash cab, voiced a little bit different, vintage 30s @ 60 watts a piece, sounds slightly different than the 1960A cabs, but identical cabs, with a slash badge.

I usually mic up one of these cabs with either a JCM 900 or older Riviera head and of course blend into front of the house mix.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #47 on: Time Format »

I play with these.  Amazing for the cash you pay for them new!!  I got two of the newer ones (on the left) that have specifically designed TurboSound speakers loaded in them for 160watts each cab.  I only got them last week  >:D

Great cabs IMO.  Non Fizzy!!

« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #48 on: Time Format »

I miss my old Crate Powerbloc

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #49 on: Time Format »

I have 3 powerblocks  :)  I think they are amazing.

I use two sometimes at gigs or else one.  Usually 2 since I turn up to shows and I may not have compatible cabs to run one PB in stereo. 

What is it like running an MP1 into a power block?  Has anyone ever tried?

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #50 on: Time Format »

Haven't tried it my self, seems Dante may have, from the pics on google search they should be fine with MP1. Basically any good clean transparent power amp should work well with Mp1/2.  If the power amp adds colour, then it's down to if you like what it adds....
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #51 on: Time Format »

From what i can tell it has a stereo line in on the back so the power block could be used as a power amp for the mp-1.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #52 on: Time Format »

When I had mine, I  was not using rack gear (sorry)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #53 on: Time Format »

Yup the power black has all kinds of inputs on the back.

If I want to bypass the built in speaker sim however I need to plug into the stereo RCA inputs (which I do).

There was me thinking the MP1 was may be best going into tubey sounding rack power amps or solid state power amps that are may be voiced for guitar (like rocktron velocity).  I was considering getting a velocity because of this, however if you guy's think MP1 will suit the power block then hell I'll give it a try.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #54 on: Time Format »

Hey RGerry, Mp1/2 work best and are designed to run into good clean transparent power amps that don't add any colour of any kind (not that you can't use them that way if you want), you dial up your sound in the MP1/2 and amplify (just add clean transparent volume). I notice a little more warmth with my all tube Carvin TS100 compared to the SS ADA B200s (great amp BTW).  If your power bloc thingies are good solid tranpaent amps that take a preamp line in they should work fine.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #55 on: Time Format »

Hey RGerry, Mp1/2 work best and are designed to run into good clean transparent power amps that don't add any colour of any kind (not that you can't use them that way if you want), you dial up your sound in the MP1/2 and amplify (just add clean transparent volume). I notice a little more warmth with my all tube Carvin TS100 compared to the SS ADA B200s (great amp BTW).  If your power bloc thingies are good solid tranpaent amps that take a preamp line in they should work fine.

that's cool rnolan, I'm in luck then :banana-trip:.  The Crate Power Block was designed to be the amp modeller guy's best friend. They were actually marketed at amp modeller users to provide 150 watts of clean power.  Of course there is a crap preamp in them but that was just a little extra.  It has some great features such as built in speaker sim and xlr out.  I just used it for clean power and my old Boss GT pedals sounded best through them.

I was thinking I would retire the powerblocks and buy a new poweramp for the Mp1 because I was under this impression that I'd need an amp geared toward guitar use like Marshall 8008 or Rocktron Velocity or even the Carvin TS100.

What are the ADA power amps like?  I only discovered one the other day by accident, not sure if is the model you mentioned.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #56 on: Time Format »

Hey RGerry, the ADA amps a very good albeit getting a little older.  My favourite is the B200s, SS 124w a side into 4 ohms 2 RU and not super heavey.  I still have one but I need to fix one channel.  In the meantime I need a power amp so I bought a Carvin TS100, I love it, it's a really good amp with MP1/2 (I'm using MP2) and the 50w a side is plently loud, I haven't run it past 3 o'clock. With MP1 and your style you'd probably like the presence knob (6khz boost), I don't use it though.  So highly recommend either of those options, the TS100 is heavy as is all tube, ADA made all tube amp awell, nice amp, MJMP and Dante have them but they are almost twice the weight of the Carvin (which you can buy new).  ADA also did a couple of hybrid amps, tubes controlling the output transistors, there's a MT100 and MT200. Others can comment on them, I had a US MT100 for a bit running off a step down transformer (240v 50hz here in Australia), it had a hum and didn't blow me away (Dante has it now, doesn't hum in the US (as far as I know) swapped him for his old B200s which has a 240 transformer now and going strong (mate of mine has it)). Sorry I digress.
Main consideration: clean and transparent best for MP1/2 let the preamp make the tone and just boost it.
Weight: you want to fly with it, light is better, then switching power supply SS amps are the go (e.g. Carvin DCM 200L (http://www.carvinguitars.com/manuals/DCM200L.pdf) and only 1 RU, but there are others)
Good tube poweramp: Tube = a little bit more warmth (is nice) but quite a bit more weight.  The ADA MT100/200 are 1 RU (and hybrid), most others are at least 2 RU and some 3 or 4 RU, but quite a few out there (Peavey, Boogie, Marshall, ENGL, Mosvalve etc)
But seems to me like your power blocks will work fine, just bypass the preamp section and run it in stereo.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #57 on: Time Format »

I tell ya what I will start a new topic in the amps section about this.

Before I do that, the powerblock is the size of a shoe and wieghts lighter than any other amp around.  The size if a SHOE!!!!!!!!!  I take two to gigs with me.  I own 3 of the, though cause I'm greedy.

Ok see you in the amps section  :wave:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up