ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Which cabinets do you use?  (Read 43741 times)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
Re: Which cabinets do you use?
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

It just occurred to me that I didn't mention what kind of cabs I'm using...NONE! ha ha  :lol:  I run direct these days.

That said, I have been running out of two 1x12 cabs since the early 90s (before that, I had two 4x12s and that was ridiculous). Just within the last couple years, I sold my old 1x12 cabs and picked up some Thiele ported cabs with EV Speakers (EVM12L and an EV Force). Each cab weighs about 50 pounds, the speaker magnet accounting for about 35 of those.

These are incredible cabs. When I bought them, I hooked up a single Thiele cab on one side and a 4x12 Jackson cab w/4 Vintage30s on the other = the Thiele sounded just as big and deep (the ports help a lot). I will never get rid of them, even though I'm not using them right now. I'll attach some pix later

El Chiguete

« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

... I sold my old 1x12 cabs and picked up some Thiele ported cabs with EV Speakers (EVM12L and an EV Force). Each cab weighs about 50 pounds, the speaker magnet accounting for about 35 of those.

What are those?
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

I started a thread about them a while back, with a link to plans for building them

Here's a pic
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

Buhz

« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

I have an old marshall with greenback ('74 i think). Sound amazing but i don't use it enough. Thinking of selling or putting the speaker in a custom 2x12 solid oak cab that i am building right now (yes pictures will follow when I am done)
I'm running an MP1 into a ADA B200s on one of my latest rigs. I scored an Egnater 2-12 tweaker cab a while back and haven't had a chance to even plug it up yet. I have 2 marshall 4-12 cabs as well. One is an all original 1967 slant w/ greenbacks in it, the other is a bottom cab from the 80's or so I scored off of CL. I rarely use the 67 due to wanting to save it for recording, as it is sweet w/ just an 80's JCM800 100 watt head. I'm looking for a deal on another 2-12 cab to be able to run stereo. The older cabs w/ the Greenbacks are really cool IMHO. Let me know if you get interested in parting w/ yours.

finstah

• Jurrie Rocks
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

It just occurred to me that I didn't mention what kind of cabs I'm using...NONE! ha ha  :lol:  I run direct these days.

Me too, I run direct into my AxeFX Ultra. For live, I would run that FOH and then have my Bogner Cubes in the back.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

I'm looking for a deal on another 2-12 cab to be able to run stereo. The older cabs w/ the Greenbacks are really cool IMHO. Let me know if you get interested in parting w/ yours.
There's a mob in Australia making greenback replicas, apparently very very close to the original (http://www.melbournemusiccentre.com.au/auxpage_lorantz/)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

John Mac

« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

I run two of the same bins as Dante (pictures a couple of posts earlier) and 2x12 mid range Fane design (angled left and right by about 15 degrees)  with my MB1 crossed over at around 300Hhz. With a good power plant moves plenty of air, has rich bottom end for 5 string basses and has a really crisp top end.
I currently use generic drivers. The 15 inch are P-Audio 200w about 10 years old  and the 12s are a similar type, also 200w but now around 20 years old.
Amazingly enough the use of a large power amp (behringer 3000epx) with hese speakers is little different to my ears compared to some JBL drivers I had a lend of. I think the key difference is the drivers I have are all better efficiency hence requiring less power to drive them and I use a large amp for headroom not volume.
Practice rig: whichever bass i grab first -> MB1 -> mixer -> EPX3000 -> Realistic Mach 1 Hifi speaker with JBL K150
Live rig: bass as above -> Shure PGX -> MB1 -> EPX30000 -> 2x TL bins + 2x Fane angled 2x12 mids crossed over at 250

Buhz

« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Touched base w/ an old friend last week I hadn't saw in a long time. He was dumping some gear, So I jumped on it.  MP1 (#3 for me)  an Ibanez noise gate, Ibanez EQ and a 4-12 Jackson bottom cab from back in the day, All for $250.  I have yet to plug it all up, Still sitting in my spare room for now. Crazy busy w/ travel and work. I can't wait to fire up the cab and see how it sounds. I did take the grill off the front and touch up some paint and wipe about 20 years worth of dust off the cab itself.  Ran into another old mutual friend and showed him my latest score. Turns out he had the 3 ADA pedal foot switch from back in the day. His MP1 was jacked form a shoop that closed and someone had yanked his ADA Tube amp from his room.  I swapped him an extra Boss Stereo Chorus pedal for all 3 of the ADA foot controllers.   :metal:

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

You sir, are a thief ^^

Nice score(s)!  :thumb-up:

Buhz

« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

You sir, are a thief ^^

Nice score(s)!  :thumb-up:
INDEED!  :metal:

RobbHell

« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

I use two VADER Cabinets. Loaded with Eminences. Very brutal.

Duke of Metal

« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

a Splawn 4x12 cab with 4 celestion 75s rewired with Marshall soundrunner 12awg speaker cable. 

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

Okay guys, I was just having some fun with the camera - no, not that kind of fun  :nono:

Here's a pic of both my live rigs (each in a 2u rack) and all my -current- rackmount amps.

One 2u rack has an MP2 w/a Boss GX-700, the other has an MP-1 Classic with another GX-700. The 'amp rack' has an ADA Microfet, an ADA Microtube 200, and my ADA T100s. The Tower of Power on top of my two 1x12 Thiele cabs.

There you have it - a monstrous rig with a footprint barely larger than a milk crate.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

Sooo this is what your audience wants to hear LOL  :thumb-up: or you can give them all ear buds ?
I don't know Dante, IEMs are a good idea, but there's nothing like real volume..IMHO
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

Sooo this is what your audience wants to hear LOL  :thumb-up: or you can give them all ear buds ?
I don't know Dante, IEMs are a good idea, but there's nothing like real volume..IMHO

I usually have the two 2u racks on top of my Boogie combo - there is plenty of volume there  :thumb-up:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up