ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Neo speakers?  (Read 7367 times)

rickeb1

Neo speakers?
« on: Time Format »

I currently use a 2x12 cab that I am pretty happy with, but I still miss the sound that you really can only get from a good 4x12.  I gave up on the 4x12 mostly because my old back wouldn't allow me to carry them up and down flights of stairs anymore.  :( 

So, I keep hoping that someone will come out with some great-sounding, reasonably priced neodymium 12" speakers that would enable a 4x12 that I could actually carry by myself.  There seems to be some good neo options for bass players, but how about for guitar?  Is there such a thing, and is anyone here using neo speakers in their rig?

willem

Re: Neo speakers?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

I bought a pair of Celestion G12 Century Vintage speakers (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DE5YY4) in a Black Friday deal back in December to put in a pair of 1x12s I'm going to build next month. Haven't tried them yet, but I've heard good things about them. I'm not sure if they're worth the current price, which is more than twice what I paid.

Both Eminence and Weber also make neo guitar speakers.
ADA MP-1 | B200S | Carvin Valve Master | Orange Micro Terror | Carvin Redline bass pre-amp
80s-era Charvel and Kramer guitars
Presonus Firestudio Project | Studio One Pro

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

It's a hard one, bit like the comparison with older PA cabs (e.g. my very old EV 3 way TL, 15 re-coned, this box kicks arse). My Carvin LM 15 actives (hey light and easy, but lack the grunt  >:D . The physics of it all is mass (=weight = sore back  :facepalm: ) but makes a difference (not to mention cubic capacity of the box...).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Will a neo speaker make such as difference in weight?I know they are lighter but the weight of the wood will stay the same.So anybody has a comment on this?

willem

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

An unloaded 412 can weigh between 40-80lbs. Four Celestion greenbacks weigh 32lbs, four Gold/Blue alnicos weigh 38lbs. Four Celestion neos weigh 14lbs. So you might save 15-25lbs, but a 412 cab is still big and heavy.
ADA MP-1 | B200S | Carvin Valve Master | Orange Micro Terror | Carvin Redline bass pre-amp
80s-era Charvel and Kramer guitars
Presonus Firestudio Project | Studio One Pro

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Interesting topic, as MJMP says a big part of the weight is in the box, albeit modern powered boxes are made of plastic (very lite, buts IMO lite on (solid  >:D ) sound). I get that the neos are lighter (and anything to save weight is a boon) as long as they perform as well (or better) than other maganet types that's got to be a plus. For me, the neo thing was mostly in tweeters (which made sense), not so much bottom end or guitar cabs. I will say, when I put 500w up the arse of my old (also weighs more than Dante's car BTW) EV 3 way TL, it craps on the much newer active Carvin LM 15s.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Mmm okay that's a difference of around 6-11 kg which is actually more then i thought.
Pages: [1]   Go Up