ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: dealing with GAS  (Read 106396 times)

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
Re: dealing with GAS
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

I used to try to justify some GAS purchases by telling myself "I could always sell it later and get my money back."   Boy, what a laugh.  :amaze: Every single time that scenario comes up, I end up taking it in the shorts.  I can't even come close to breaking even; I just lose money in every deal all the f**king time and I'm sick of it.  So, I better really really really want something before I hit that Buy button.

I'm at a point now anyway where I really can't buy any more gear unless something else gets sold off to make room for it financially.  $25 here and there is fine but $100+ stuff has to go through my financial manager for approval.   ;)  The odds are 100 to 1 that my request is denied because there is always bills that need to be paid first.

The stuff I look at longingly without buying is mostly nostalgia stuff.  The first "shred" guitar I ever owned is on Reverb...the first Jackson guitar I owned.....my first tube amp......all for super stupid cheap prices, too.  But as much as I think about possibly getting those items again (just to have them for old time sake) I just can't afford to go around pulling the trigger on stuff like that.  I'm not a music store/warehouse.  And I don't want to keep hoarding shit just to have a backup for my backup's backup. 2 of anything will be plenty.

The stuff I have took a long time to get.  A little here, little there, sell this to put towards that, upgrade a little, move stuff around, buy something else to eventually sell to get ____   Right now (near future) I'm only looking to change that Volume pedal I have to one that doesn't take up quite so much space on a pedalboard like Morley's do.  (I see they have a new line of smaller footprint stuff now).  Then I just want to add the EHX C9 pedal to my pedalboard and that's it.  Other than that, my rack is absolutely awesome the way it is right now.  My speaker cabs and choice of drivers inside are perfect for me and for what I'm using them for.  I have never owned or played through a better sounding rig in my whole life. 

Now if I should play and somehow win a lottery.....then I'll start up a warehouse of music gear.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

I used to try to justify some GAS purchases by telling myself "I could always sell it later and get my money back."   Boy, what a laugh.  :amaze: Every single time that scenario comes up, I end up taking it in the shorts.  I can't even come close to breaking even; I just lose money in every deal all the f**king time and I'm sick of it.  So, I better really really really want something before I hit that Buy button.

True, I do the same and I'm guilty of the same thing.  But I do eventually shift something, so in the long run it balances out.  I used to have two Boss GT6 pedals and two Boss GT8's.  I got rid of them eventually but I had already started buying rack gear even though I still had those units.

I really shouldn't buy anything at all, no more guitars.   I need to shift two or three. Ok so I bought another MP1 yesterday (my other one still has that humming problem) so I got that to act as substitute whilst I get the other one looked at.  So kinda excessive but also slightly practical in a small way.

Once I finish this album I'll get all the gear that needs modified and repaired sorted but right now I don't have time to open these things up and fiddle about for hours in the evening, it's all work during the day, album work at night.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

So.... it seems popular opinion agrees that G.A.S. is more about buying things we don't really need as opposed to buying the tools we have to have to get the job done.

In my case, where I'm currently dropping a fair amount of cash into the gear I feel I need to cover all my recording criteria, I guess that wouldn't exactly be considered G.A.S. I have recently discovered that the computer desk I've been using is no longer going to work as far as mixing goes, and I've resolved to replace it with something more suitable to the task.
   I looked into studio work stations and producer stations, but either the affordable ones are too small, or not practically designed, and the larger ones are WAYYYYY too expensive, and out of the question. So I shopped around online and found a 60"x 24" Credenza styled desk for around $100, Two 8U studio racks for $104 each, and isolation stands for the studio monitors at around $109 each, and an articulating Keyboard/mouse tray for around $80. So for under $600, I can put together a workstation that I can expand on later if I want to, that is set up exactly as I want it to be. That's $200 under the closest thing I could find online that is prefabricated for such a purpose.
   I'm also looking at a cheap 5-string bass guitar that I'll need to lay down some bass tracks with, so I don't consider that G.A.S. either.
   What I would consider to be G.A.S. would be my desire to buy an old Fender Stratocaster Elite, like the ones I used to own. I had two of them, but sold them to get into the Ibanez Jem guitars, which I eventually got tired of, and got rid of. but I have always regretted selling the Elites. No other Strat could get the sounds that those could, and I couldn't help but notice how I seem to try to do that with the Strats I have now. Don't get me wrong, each one I have sounds great in it's own right, but nothing like the Elites. I've been watching them come up on ebay, and have come close to pulling the trigger a couple of times, but I held back. Right now, there is a sunburst one that is exactly like one that I used to have, but he's asking about $500 too much for it. Maybe because he's in Canada. However, one of these days, one of those is going to come up for sale, and G.A.S. is going to take over...and you guys know the rest.
    For right now, I'm going to make do with what I have, but I can't help but wonder how the Elite will sound through the Classic, since it makes my current Strats sound great.

Just sharing a few thoughts here...
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Well I might add that for me GAS is also the urge to keep buying stuff.  Not just the actual act, it's the urge to keep wanting more and more stuff beyond my actual needs.  Hands up who is like me?   :crazy:

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

I'll be the first to admit I always have the urge to buy stuff, I'm just getting better about not pulling the trigger.

Focusing on my recording gear right now is where my money is going.

Zilthy

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

My most recent experience of GAS was getting a digital piano.  I do not consider that GAS, as I did actually need one to be able to learn and play the classical music I am working on.  I suppose a case could be made that is was GAS because I already did have a couple of keyboards, but neither one had some capabilities that are required. (No partial sustain, no soft pedal, no sostanudo pedal, no escapement, and a few other things).

After having it for 3 weeks, trading it in (full price) to upgrade to the top of the line model (Which had the exact same keyboard, sound engine, pedals, etc) but had bigger, better speakers and was shiny, now that was GAS.

Now I just need to stop looking at pianos that cost more than my car.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Nice !

Chamai

« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

For me, i GAS amps. i don't really need anymore amps. jcm 800, adamp1 . 2 amps that i will never sell.

but i gas high quality fx units big time. scored a pcm81 few months ago. i was going to order my fulltone 80's chorus. but few things set me back a bit. so i am ordering it next friday. My wife is asking me do i really need to spend 1200 bucks on a chorus effect. i said YES,

i told myself if i see any amps i like, i will pass. even if it's a crazy deal. i need to complete my 80's rig. i am missing 2 mono delays and 2 more cabs. and i am pretty much done. switchers and mixers can come later. parametric eq will come last.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Chamai »
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

1200 bucks wow that's a lot of GAS  ;D

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

The only Chorus I would spend that much on would be the TC Electronic 1210. It's the only one worth it IMHO

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

My third MP1 arrived today, lets hope it's in good working order!!!  You can never tell with these things on ebay anymore, particularly with vague sellers who don't actually know anything about said unit they are selling.

Anyways, that's my GAS for this month, no need for this and basically I should have fixed my MDRT version as opposed to just buying another one.  I wil get round to fixing the other one, then perhaps modify the one I bought today to Mod 4 MKII.  May be  8)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

Hey G, keep us updated how it goes with the MP-1!

Chamai

« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

1200 bucks wow that's a lot of GAS  ;D

tried many different chorus pedals. nothing really wowed me. i know this is exactly what i need.  there are also a few HH powers amps on my local craigslist.. gassing hardddd.
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

made a video using the new MP1. Seems in good shape and sounds great to my ears.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, sounds good so far, nice playing BTW  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23   Go Up