Let's Get Technical > Troubleshooting Problems

Rack grounding?

<< < (6/6)

Soloist:
Ok, so I hooked up my NS2 like MJMP has his pro G wired and the boss does not cut it that way. Totally smothers the tone. Oh well,  the way I have it routed seems to be the best option I have at the moment. It was worth a shot, you never know!

MarshallJMP:
@Gerry, I don't have much noise from the PU's but that's not so important, it just works a lot better with 2 gates, I guess it's hard to explain  ;D ,you need to try it and feel it, play it. I messed around with different gates for years until I finally found what I was looking for.

Years ago when I had the NS-2 I wired it up like that and it worked but yes it took away some tone.

rabidgerry:
I'm totally fine using the NS-50 which is a bit like an NS2.

I have the threshold around 45-50% (about 11-12 o clock).  This is totally adequate I find.  No noise and feedback is under control.  I still have more to play with as well with the threshold should I ever need it.  I run into the NS-50, the guitar in, then the output comes out and runs into the FX unit input.
Like this:

FX Send > Preamp In > Preamp Out 
                                                                                    /                                                      \
 Guitar > ns50 Guitar IN > ns50 Guitar Out > FX Input >                                              ns50 Input
                                                                                                                                             /
                                                  Cabs < Power Amp < FX Output < FX Return < ns50 Output           

Soloist:
Very similar Gerry. I run guitar> NS2 input. NS2 send> od's and eq pedals. Last pedal> NS2 return. NS2 output to amp input. Using the gate in my G Force after the preamp. Threshold on NS2 about 60% and the decay about 20%. All settings are very low on the g gforce gate. All quiet before it hits the front of the amp and all quiet after.

rabidgerry:
There are a number of other ways to hook mine up but honestly, my tone isn't being affected that much by the NS-50, and on the threshold I'm way above the point where light playing will suffer with the chitter MJMP mentioned in this thread earlier.

The two gates thing I have a theory might be beneficial in regards to guitar resonance that can sometime keep your normal single gate open long enough to allow feedback, where as if you have a gate before distortion also it's going to snub that lagging resonance on the head before it gets a chance to develop into something nasty.  Just a theory.

Hey Soloist, yeah that is similar my man, my rack noise gate is like the rack version of the ns-2,  couldn't say if it was better, I do rate it highly though.  Since my GX700 has built in noise reduction I suppose I could stick that on lightly somewhere, perhaps before the loop where my preamp is.

I also have a hush IICX I guess I could in theory use this like two gates since that is what it is  :lol:  Go into channel 1 and have that cover before any distortion then use channel II like normal.  I really like this Hush unit.  It's from 1989 or something but sounds awesome in my opinion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version