ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi from England  (Read 7030 times)

Explorer84

• Astronaut and famous Hollywood stunt squirrel
Hi from England
« on: Time Format »

Hi all, firstly I want to take this opportunity to thank Dante for bringing the forum back to life  ;D

I'm 50 years old, I live in England, a long time Ada user,

I bought my first MP1 brand new in 1989 and have collected a few more over the years, my original MP1 is a little bit tired these days, with broken sockets and such, so probably ready for a nice mod or two ;D , it's still the sweetest sounding first gen MP1 that I own,

these days my 'go to' preamp is my MP1 Classic, just sounds incredible, I use it with a Marshall 9100 stereo Tube power amp into a 1960 Marshall 4 x 12 loaded with Eminence Lynch Super V12 speakers

effects: currently using a TC Electronic G-Major 2, but eagerly awaiting the release of the Fractal Audio FX8

btw my user name is inspired by my favorite guitar, my 1984 Gibson Explorer
« Last Edit: Time Format by Explorer84 »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: it's back! and so am I ;D
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Explorer84, welcome to the resurrected depot (Dante  :bow: ), Like your set up. If you are chaining through (4 cable method) the TC, chek out some of the posts from me and MikeB re running it in parallel, it sounds quite a bit better  :thumb-up: .
Cheers Richard
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Explorer84

Re: it's back! and so am I ;D
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hey Explorer84, welcome to the resurrected depot (Dante  :bow: ), Like your set up. If you are chaining through (4 cable method) the TC, chek out some of the posts from me and MikeB re running it in parallel, it sounds quite a bit better  :thumb-up: .
Cheers Richard

I'm currently using the TC between my MP1 and power amp, and I have to say just having the G-major connected is a massive tone suck, very disappointing for a TC unit, so I might take a look at your posts :)

I borrowed a friends Axe FX II and used it just for effects between the ADA and power amp, it sounded great, it didn't change the sound of my MP1 at all, very impressive sound quality,

the thing that impresses me about the FX8 (apart from being less than half the price of the Axe FX) is that it has two independent effects circuits, one between guitar and preamp, and one for  between preamp and power amp (or effects loop in a regular tube amp) so very practical for 4 cable method use,

Fractals stomp box models are great, perfect for getting a bit more gain on the Brown channel in front of the MP1 Classic,

and well the harmonizer and spacial effects, reverb, delay etc are just lush

there's only one FX8 video up on youtube so far, he's using it with his Friedman BE100 tube amp, sounds great  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-cfAckn254

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Hi from England
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

The TC GMaj isn't a bad unit, but with MP1 chained through it, the first thing that happens is it converts your great tube analogue signal into digital.
I don't mind digital fx units, but it sounds much better if you keep an analogue signal chain to poweramp (and some dig fx have true analogue pass through) and mix them in (in parallel, not series). The other post talks about how you can do it with a cheap(ish) ART Slip mix (all in stereo). It works and works well...BTW
Cheers R

Explorer84

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

The TC GMaj isn't a bad unit, but with MP1 chained through it, the first thing that happens is it converts your great tube analogue signal into digital.

That's what impressed me so much about Fractal's audio processing, I couldn't hear any difference in the sound going direct from preamp to power amp, and having the Axe FX in between,

I like the idea of having the option to use synth modeling and other effects where you don't necessarily want to hear the direct guitar in the mix, if the FX8 has the same audio quality as the Axe FX then I think it will be a winner

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hey man!!  Welcome to the board. You must the be closest person to me on this board, where abouts in England you from?  I'm over in Belfast flying the MP1 flag  :)  Got two myself but they're soon gonna be supped up to the max with some mods.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Welcome Explorer84, nice to have you aboard!

My favorite guitar is my 83 Explorer ;) and my favorite preamp is my Classic. That said, I have a strong sentimental link with my MP-2 as well. Either one serves me well and I bound back/forth.

Let's see some pix of that wonderful guitar you got man! Here's a pic of mine

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Nice Dante  >:D

Explorer84

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Welcome Explorer84, nice to have you aboard!

My favorite guitar is my 83 Explorer ;) and my favorite preamp is my Classic. That said, I have a strong sentimental link with my MP-2 as well. Either one serves me well and I bound back/forth.

Let's see some pix of that wonderful guitar you got man! Here's a pic of mine

here it is, it's had a few mods over the years,

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

:whoohoo!: nice  :thumb-up: now I want one LOL

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

My case looks EXACTLY like that ;)

Nice axe!!

Explorer84

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Can you believe that the Explorer and the V first came out in 1958, way before rock and metal  ???

I saw The Scorpions Matthias Jabs play one at the first Monsters of Rock festival in 1980 at Castle Donnington in England, I knew I had to have one!, waited another 4 agonising years to get this one, I was 19, it cost me every penny I had, so worth it! :metal:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Showing my age but sort of yeah, lots of nice things from that era, like Gibson 57 PUs and the reissues (I've got 2) rust like the originals LOL. This is back when instruments were hand made (ish), many these days are computer profile routed... It's changed allot (where's my walking stick..LOL)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Can you believe that the Explorer and the V first came out in 1958, way before rock and metal  ???

I saw The Scorpions Matthias Jabs play one at the first Monsters of Rock festival in 1980 at Castle Donnington in England, I knew I had to have one!, waited another 4 agonising years to get this one, I was 19, it cost me every penny I had, so worth it! :metal:

We ought to be twins...I bought mine because of Matthias Jabs too! (I was a huge Scorps fan in the early 80s) As soon as I joined the US Military, I started making a steady check with no bills, so I saved $750 to buy mine :)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante, I assume you had a different hair cut back then then LOL.
Pages: [1]   Go Up