ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 45   Go Down

Author Topic: what are you listening to this week?  (Read 237518 times)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: what are you listening to this week?
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Checking out powerlord,like it alot so far,strange i never heard if this band before  :facepalm:

Also listening to blotted science,if you like spastic ink you should check these guys out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvy0skCDQbA

« Last Edit: Time Format by MarshallJMP »

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Yeah Powerlord aren't a well known group.  I think with a lot of metal I am getting into these days that is generally the case.  Once you get past the big name bands there is endless amounts of undiscovered fantastic heavy metal out there.

Checking out your link now

I discovered these guys a few weeks ago, again one album to their name but I think this is excellent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NynvZ-jIyEw

"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Checking out powerlord,like it alot so far,strange i never heard if this band before  :facepalm:

Also listening to blotted science,if you like spastic ink you should check these guys out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvy0skCDQbA

this song is crazy!!!  I like parts but some of the extreme drumming is so fast it becomes thin sounding to me, their are limits I think with speed and heaviness, a trade off occurs once you go too fast, plus the production has  a part to play with this.  Haha the song and video are crazy!!!  :lol:

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Hey rabidgerry, this kind of playing changes the production paradigm quite a bit. The notion of it's more important what you don't play (all at the same time preferably LOL) to leave those minute spaces you brain needs to stay sane and really enjoy music is being turned on its head (not that I agree or disagree, each to their own).
Anecdote: A friend rented out his PA/lights etc for a Thrash/Hardcore Screamo gig and asked me to mix (the first of 4 bands). I didn't know what sort of music it was, just said sure... So I mixed the first band, you could at least hear everything but I wasn't sure I'd done a decent mix (until later). My mates son usually mixes but had to bugger off, before he left, when I was doing drum sounds, he said turn kick eq +16db @ 4k, (normally I'd add a "little" 2k for kick), I asked why, he said otherwise you wont here it (so as you say extreme). The next 3 bands another guy mixed. I hadn't bothered with the drum noise gates, first thing he did was insert them and set them really aggressively (I now know why). But even with all that it was just noise. The last band were Red Shore (big here in that scene apparently), someone said the guitarist were really good in this band, well went down to the stage and watched their fingers, looked good, could'nt hear it though...
« Last Edit: Time Format by rnolan »
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Interesting rnolan, but I understand completely.  You need to make the production for that style of drumming sound a certain way or you will never hear it.  I actually was thinking perhaps that was a sequencer providing those drums?

For me, the extreme element defeats the purpose of the heaviness factor.  I personally detest anything resembling blast beat drumming and most yuck modern heavy music production.  I'm a snob, sure, but I don't care.  If a kick drum doesn't carry "weight" in the sound then to me it just sounds like a tight piece of plastic being slapped.  I didn't mean to get into this on this thread lol so apologies.

I would have went for 2khz also by the way :)  not 4khz???????

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Hey each to their own, it wouldn't exist if no one liked it and as a sound engineer, you adapt as required. My other bug bare is young sound guys seem to have no idea where to set the crossover point for subs (and you gotta have subs these days it seems  :crazy: ), so you get a doof doof dirge and the bass disappears in the mud they create, particularly the bottom E.

Anyway back to the thread, I've been revisiting Led Zep Houses of the Holey, in my younger days I pretty much just liked the rocky track The Ocean (made even more famous by the Beasty Boys), what an amazing album.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Yes each to their own as you say, I'm still a snob though  :whoohoo!:

I never got into Zepplin, some people find that weird because they come across as a "must like band" within rock, but I seem to find that a lot.  Like I'm not a Metallica or Slayer fan.

I always preferred Deep Purple between Zepplin and them but even then it wasn't enough to secure my interest really, just like the odd track from both bands mainly.  It amazes me how many Robert Plant clones there, even today.  I think younger bands forget that there was a man already who sang like that and people still remember him.  Anyways they are a great band, proper rock!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, One of my best friends and I were doing the DP/LZ comparison, (40 years ago LOL so I was 15(ish)), he liked Led Zep, I was a Deep Purple/blackmore nut. He'd say Plant was better than Gillan, I'd say Blackmore is better than Page... Those bands along with Slade, Statud Quo, Sabbath, Uriah Heap etc were my early experiences).
So I like quite a few of all their songs naturally  :wave: However, like you I'm not a big Metalica fan except I do a hybrid version of Pete Seagers Turn the page (partly based on their version i.e. rock it up a fair bit).
I hadn't noticed the Plant clones, but I have noticed that every female vocal sounds like Avril Lavien (and I assume he wasn't the first), lots of oral exciter and (I presume) pitch correction ?.
So what are your "liked" purple and zep tracks ? and why ?

The reason I got into playing rock guitar at all was down to Slade "Take Me Back Home", it came on the little transistor radio and I HAD to tun it up (hooked), later I worked out how to play smoke on the water on the bottom E of the guitar my older sister got for xmas, gone forever.  :facepalm: :whoohoo!:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

I like some of the well known tracks I guess.  I like Speedking, Blacknight, Highway Star to name a few.  I usually know them (pardon my ignorance) or have gotten familiar with them because bands I like have covered them on one of their albums.  Metal Church did Highway Star and Venom did Speedking :)  I just like "Blacknight" cause I know it.  I guess "Smoke on the Water"  is cool, the first riff I learnt to play with gain, boy was that a great feeling.  I thought that was the best feeling in the world back then.  Probably about 1997 lol

Zepplin I like "Heart Breaker", "Whole Lotta Love"

The reason I like em is riff's, I am a riff whore!!!  It's how I write my own music.  I build everything on it.  I am by no means fans of those bands that's just a few tracks I like.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

Hey RG me to I'm a riff "whore" tragic from way back also LOL,  if you can, have a listen to No No No / purple off Fireball, mmmm works for me ..

Nomes-Electronic

« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

Buckethead:  pike 71 Celery and pike 65 Hold Me Forever.  It's an addiction.
__
Steinberger GM4T
ADA MP-1 Classic
TC Electronic G Major 2
BBE 882i Sonic Maximizer
Mesa 50:50
Marshall 1960A 4x12

Peter H. Boer

• 2* MB-1 1*MP-1 + Jur's old Mod4Mk2
    • The Granny Attic
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

Witherscape - The New Tomorrow  :thumb-up:
Nothing beats MB-1s and MP-1s with MDRTs

http://www.thegrannyattic.com
http://www.Illumion.net
http://www.sote.nl

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

Both Bucket head and Witherscape  are nice bands,thanks for sharing.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

U.D.O Animal House

Metal Church - The Dark

Stainless Steel - Metal Machine
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

Rabid Bitch of the North, well drum and guitar tracks...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 45   Go Up