ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soldano sp77 earth problem? also how do you dial your poweramp  (Read 34775 times)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

Putting togheter a rack system is alot trial and error,sometimes it's better to isolate a device from the rack,sometimes it's better to not isolate it.I also spend alot of time putting togheter my rack.

The korg tuner are known for their groundloops,for me the headphone out of the mp-1 worked best.What you also can try is making a cable with one end of the ground loose,this can help sometimes.Or using a transformer so there's no galvanic connection.This should help the most.

gb

Putting togheter a rack system is alot trial and error,sometimes it's better to isolate a device from the rack,sometimes it's better to not isolate it.I also spend alot of time putting togheter my rack.

The korg tuner are known for their groundloops,for me the headphone out of the mp-1 worked best.What you also can try is making a cable with one end of the ground loose,this can help sometimes.Or using a transformer so there's no galvanic connection.This should help the most.

Thanks mate. Do you mean the power cable? Or the audio patch cable to the tuner?  what do you mean using a transformer?  Like a ebtech hum eliminator??
« Last Edit: Time Format by gb »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

Never disconnect the ground of the power connector!!!I mean the patch cable.
Yes something like the ebtech.

gb

Never disconnect the ground of the power connector!!!I mean the patch cable.
Yes something like the ebtech.

I thought so thats why I asked!!!..  so what do the ground lift buttons do or mean on the decimator and rack wah.. they stop the hum ..

Also by disconnecting the grnd on the latch lead doesnt rhat disconnect the signal then.. I assume 2 wires in the patch lead

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

Not 100% sure but they usually disconnect on one side the ground,same as i suggest with the cable.

No it won't since you also have a ground connection trough the ground.But one side needs to be connected else the shielding is gone.I would try this first since this is the cheapest solution.

gb

Not 100% sure but they usually disconnect on one side the ground,same as i suggest with the cable.

No it won't since you also have a ground connection trough the ground.But one side needs to be connected else the shielding is gone.I would try this first since this is the cheapest solution.

I tried this last night.. I disconnected the ground wire at one end thinking maybe it's grounded elsewhere.. and the hum was gone however the tuner was reporting a signal on the display something sharp.. I rhink from memory if I plucked a string it still showed the note but when I muted my guitar or volume down the display showed signal and diaplaying g and sharp  or something.. not sure why it would do that with the ground liftes off the audio lead. With ground on it went back to normal but humming.

Haha finicky little thing. 

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey George, all healed up I hope  :wave: MJMP's suggestion of using the headphone out is worth a try (turn the HF vol down though) as then there is no return (I'm assuming you plug your guitar into the tuner and tuner out to MP1??).  The downside of coming off the HF out is the signal is whatever patch you've selected and distorted tubes add lots of harmonics (why we like them  >:D ) which can upset some tuners making it hard to find the note (e.g. my IPS33 harmoniser has a distortion loop so it can get the signal straight from the guitar to "track" better).
You could also just plug into the tuner to tune and then plug into MP1 when your done (not go through the tuner thus not add hum)
Or better still, buy a Peterson Stroboclip see previous post, it's so much more accurate and no hum (no cables, clips on), best tuner I ever bought and I can tune my acoustics as well.
Cheers R
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

gb

Hey George, all healed up I hope  :wave: MJMP's suggestion of using the headphone out is worth a try (turn the HF vol down though) as then there is no return (I'm assuming you plug your guitar into the tuner and tuner out to MP1??).  The downside of coming off the HF out is the signal is whatever patch you've selected and distorted tubes add lots of harmonics (why we like them  >:D ) which can upset some tuners making it hard to find the note (e.g. my IPS33 harmoniser has a distortion loop so it can get the signal straight from the guitar to "track" better).
You could also just plug into the tuner to tune and then plug into MP1 when your done (not go through the tuner thus not add hum)
Or better still, buy a Peterson Stroboclip see previous post, it's so much more accurate and no hum (no cables, clips on), best tuner I ever bought and I can tune my acoustics as well.
Cheers R

hey mate getting there.. work isnt helping!! rather be home playing with rack gear.

no im not going into the tuner and then out .. its out of the signal chain. so just using an output. The soldano pre doesnt have a second form of output so all i can do is use the second dry output of the rack wah to the tuner.

saying that if i use the send on the ada mp1 i still get the bad ground loop.

saying THAT! i tried marshalljmps suggestion to use the headphones from the ada mp1 and this seemed to do the trick perfectly!!

however i would have liked to come out of dry output on the rack wah to facilitate any preamp. I simply cannot make up my mind between the sp77 and the ada mp1.. ill play through one and just fall in love then 10mins later ill plug into the other and fall in love with that. though i will admit.. hence why im on this forum .. is that the ada mp1 is very versatile in comparison though the sp77 has this edge over the mp1 though a 1 trick pony essentially haha.

all good .. im learning about it all. and will play around somemore with other combinations. Im pretty happy with the tuner and i like the big display and i can just turn around and look at it.

i appreciate both of your inputs and discussions and helping me !! cant believe i fixed the sp77 myself and learning heaps about racks in the process.

there will be more questions to come and im enjoying this journey.. the best thing of all is at home running in stereo between 2 quad boxes .. theres simply no other sound like it!! love it!! shame its not practical for live situations hahaha running a quad in stereo isnt the same with the speakers next to each other hehehe

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Good to hear, yeah work doesn't help but does help pay the bills (and buy toys  >:D ).
(running a quad in stereo isn't the same with the speakers next to each other), true, I put a bit of cardboard down the middle of my Yamaha quad box to run in stereo (helped a bit), I have one original split stack (an almost reasonable deal at Cash Convertors @ $170) with Celestion 75w 12s, I rewired it to be stereo or mono and I use it for rehearsals, it's not as good as 2 separate cabs (tends to flange (comb filter) a bit) but better than mono.  My 2 other split stacks were made here by Pro Audio under license, and have Boogie Celestions 90w 12s (Celestion do custom runs for various manufacturers), they are a bit middy (like all things Boogie IMHO).  I don't take them out so often since getting the other split stack, sick of lugging stuff....
Need to get your MP2 reliable (or pick up a good one), or you could run both the MP1 and sp77 and pick between them (a few ways you could do this) with different midi patches (even have both at once...).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up