Non ADA Gear > Rack Gear

AVID Eleven Rack Opinions

(1/6) > >>

Dante:
I'm not looking for more rack gear, but I did run across an Eleven Rack nearby at a reasonable price (which is rare in itself) so I'm considering it. Especially after reading all the reviews about running it directly into the PA (we use IEMs, which is nice).

IIRC, the big drag about these is that the mono (Left) output is on the front, while the second output (for stereo) is on the back (wtf?). Also, it appears to only work with ProTools, I use LOGIC. Hmmm...

Any other opinions?

rnolan:
That's always been the issue with Avid (digidesign), only works with their hardware/software.  Although the latest versions >=10 of ProTools (finally) support other I/O hardware.  So now you pay the big bucks for the software where as before you paid big for the hardware and they threw in the software.
I just realised someone I know has the Eleven Rack in his ProTools set up.  He seemed pretty happy with it.  It seems the AxeFX is the top dog in cloning at the moment, but not cheap. I'm happy with my MP2 set up but then I'm not trying to copy other tones these days (or ever really).

Dante:
As appealing as it sounds to bring a single unit to a gig and run it direct, I can do the same thing with my MP-2 + Quadraverb in a 2u rack (which I have). So, I kinda talked myself out of it.

The MP-2 cab sims do a respectable job, so I could see myself plugging straight into the snake and leaving the amp/cabs at home. I am not overly fond of the direct signal from the Classic though...maybe an ADA Cab Sim would help

rnolan:
Hey Dante, reducing/consolidating is always nice but don't sacrifice the sound (no clones... real tubes mmmm...). I've not played a Classic (for me MP1 and now MP2) but I do miss some aspects of the MP1 sound (which I assume is encapsulated in the Classic with some of the best later to be MP2 features, and the brown? classic users allude to).  In the end, I find I can do all I want with the MP2 (I've very much found "my" sound (with it/and previously the MP1, albeit different)) and a decent effect (my MP-2 + Quadraverb in a 2u rack (which I have)), is a kick ass rig which can go anywhere.  To me nothing beats cranking up with a good amp/cab(s), but I've not used IEMs.
Are the cab sims in the MP2 different from the Classic ? (I wouldn't have thought so) Anyway the cab sims in my MP2 do a great job.

Dante:
The IEMs make all the difference in the world. My ears no longer ring, and I haven't touched my vocal monitor in over a year, which makes for a very clear stage surface. I have to turn my amp up to 'gig levels' to get accurate tone, but running direct works fine.

The only noise on the stage itself is the drum set and the bass player's cab, which he also doesn't need, but we all like to feel it.

I have no idea if the cab sims are different between the MP-2 and the Classic, but they sound different and the inputs are different. One is xlr and the other is 1/4" - not sure if the Classic has balanced outputs with the 1/4" jacks, but as I said before, I am not overly fond of the Classic's direct out tone. Also, there is no switch on the Classic for different cab sims, as the MP-2 has the 2x12/4x12 options...you just get what you get with the Classic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version