ADA Preamps > Original MP-1

my new mp1 sounds like dudu

<< < (6/6)

Systematic Chaos:

--- Quote from: davidfugler on December 05, 2018, 03:26:57 PM ---think that could have anything to do with the thin sound? I was thinking of getting your transformer upgrade. what do you suggest I do?

--- End quote ---

Let me suggest a methodical approach here...

I'm with MJMP suspecting something in the PSU being the culprit for the power-up issues. Low and thin gain could be the old front jack and/or Diode D16 as well as some old dried out caps having gone far off specs.

To address all of the above:
- do the Noise Mod
- do the rear jack conversion Mod
- do the Battery Mod

That should get you back on track. Concerning the transformer: some prefer the smooth compressed sound of the original tranny, some prefer the added clarity of the MDRT.
If you get it up and running again with the 3 mods I mentionend you can still decide if you like what you're having or if you wanna add the MDRT.

Soldering is no witchcraft. The hardest/most difficult part soldering-wise of the mods I mentioned above is changing the U4 OpAmp (IMHO).
If you're uncertain you can do it, gather all parts for the mods and take it to an amp repair guy or (if you still have them in your neck of the woods) an old TV repair shop.
It's just swapping some resistors and caps and an OpAmp for newer better spec'd/higher quality parts. Desolder the old parts carefully while paying attention not to lift/burn any traces (less heat on the soldering iron is more!!). Clean everything nice and tidy with desoldering braid and PCB/Solder Flux cleaner, put in the new parts, make sure you get clean solder joints. Clean everything with Solder Flux cleaner again after the soldering job and you're golden.

davidfugler:
Thankyou. I will do those mods and see what happens. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version