Miscellaneous > Rants & Raves

Stabbed in the back? Or Not?

<< < (2/6) > >>

rnolan:
Hey RG, you feel how you feel about it, if you asked him to just be you for the couple of gigs, he should have done his "professional" best to do just that so I would be pissed about that aspect.  As for you ego, let it go, your a good guitarist and it's your music, from what you say he overplayed which, to me, detracts from his professionalism and as a person.  That he maybe thought elements in the songs could/should be different, that's not what he was "payed" to do, and he shouldn't have done that.  If he was trying to get your spot in the band, well as you say that's not happening so no need to feel threatened there.  If he was just trying to maximize his time "in the sun" and show case himself, understandable I spose but again very unprofessional. I assume this is the most exposure he's ever had ? so he was out to impress while he had a chance.  That you wanted the band to do the gigs is sensible, cancelling gigs is a severe career limiting move (unless you are a huge star).  Not that I've seen/heard him play but "such ability" isn't something I'd credit him with.  Grasping and delivering the rhythms and the essence and energy of the song is ability, chucking in sweep arpeggios, while sounding impressive, isn't ability, he's just rattling off stuff he's practiced over and over (look at me, look at me  :facepalm: , aren't I great).  Don't stay angry, his actions were puerile IMO, he hasn't got a patch on you, you care about the whole, he just cares about himself and what he can get out of it (which is unfortunate for him as he had the chance to do something really decent).  If I were you I'd never use him again, he had his chance.  But if you did (and you've done some work to get him up to speed) don't "ask" him to play things properly, tell him to.  You are paying him to stand in, so he should just do his job.  Anyway, my 2 cents worth.  :wave:

Soloist:
I agree with Richard.  I dont think the stand in was trying to show you up, or steal your slot in the band. However I do think he wanted to show off a bit, maybe to use some of that video footage as a "resume'" of sorts to land another gig, maybe his ego got in the way. Either way it was very uncool of him to do so. As Richard said that wasn't what he was paid to do. Your the man in your band, he was a temporary  stand in. I wouldn't waste the energy being upset. Piss on him, he just screwed himself out of any future fill ins for you.

Dante:
Richard brings up a good point; the Golden rule. The man with the gold, makes the rules. You are paying HIM. Tell him to play the songs right (or, never use him again).

rabidgerry:
May be he wasn’t trying to show me up or steal my spot, but it sure as hell felt like it, simply because he gave me the impression he was going to play things as close to me as possible.  I even think he extended a solo just so he could show off even more at one point.  I couldn’t believe that!

But I guess You are both right, not worth wasting my energy being angry at him.  I just didn’t think he would have done that, really trusted him.

And yes, I myself put money in to pay for this guy’s expenses, so yeah he’s takin advantage of the situation.  Perhaps he was trying to maximize his moment in the sun, but he didn’t focus on playing the songs the way they were supposed to be played and he played things differently in a way that made it seem like he could do a better job.

Hopefully I do not need another stand in, however in future if I do need one, I will not be asking him again so yeah this guy has burnt that bridge with me and it is a shame because he put the effort in initially.

I STILL reckon, he was trying to get us to expand to a four piece, I got hints of it at rehearsals when he would start playing stuff to whatever I was playing and it sounded good, but that aint happening for a number of reasons.

Kim:
That's a rough spot, mate.  I was wondering what was going on over there....

My take is that it does sound like he wants to try to convince someone that he needs to be a permanent member.  Blame him?  RBOTN is touring most of UK and getting worldwide recognition and a great band too.  Who wouldn't want a legit chance to get in on that?

But anyway....he was hired to do a job and do it properly. 

The singer in one of my old bands called me to ask if his new guitarist could talk to me about how stuff was played.  I said sure because it was the right thing to do. He later called and asked about how should he play the solos.  I told him he was free to be himself with them as long as they somewhat resembled the original because that's what I would have done in the same situation.  No egos to stroke, no egos to crush.  It's this reason I could never be in a hard rock/metal cover band.  I won't do the solos note for note but I won't add too much either. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version