Miscellaneous > Rants & Raves

2018 pretty cool so far.

(1/2) > >>

Kim:
Hey so far so good.   Lot of stuff happened in the last few months and I've been busy with all that and haven't had as much opportunity to hang out here as I should and would. 

Had a housing dilemma last fall; the people we rented from for the last 5 years decided they needed to sell their house.  No way were we going to buy it because A: it needed so much more fixing than it was worth, B: we already paid for half of it in Rent anyway so why would we buy it at 1 plus one half of the selling price?   So we had to really scramble to find somewhere else to live and fast.  Would've been nice if they had told us early in the year so we had time for this shit, but noooo.....
Long story short, we were just sick and tired of moving whenever the owners needed us to move so we took the leap and bought our own damn house in the next town over!  :whoohoo!:  And it's damn nice.  We'll pay for it for the rest of our lives, but nobody gets to tell us to pack our shit and beat it.  (unless there's a foreclosure of course) 

I actually have a room now just for all my Home Studio, Music, and Electronics Stuff!  Super stoked!

And the band.  Well, we had to sack the drummer.  This fuggin guy..... You'd think that a musician who wants to continue being a "musician" would actually learn the material and play consistently within 2 years and not insist on just bullshitting his way through it all like it's Improv Hour.  You'd think he could stay behind the kit and be ready to play instead of getting out after every song to roll a cigarette, drink a beer, and hit a pipe. You'd think that someone insisting on doing backing vocals would actually be able to sing and stop messing with the board at the beginning of every practice to do a 10 minute soundcheck just for his backing vocals.  You'd think that he would not blow off scheduled rehearsals to go to parties or  go jam with some other band.   Bah.  Myself and the bassist/vocalist just kept trying to get him to come around and see the light but it just wasn't gonna happen with this guy and we simply could not be bothered to spend another minute trying with him.  Fired and Done.

The very next day (honest!) we met another local drummer who was very excited for the chance to join us.  Did an interview, seemed like a cool guy, showed us some of his chops, and gave him cds of our material to learn.  Less than a month later, he is ready for the real audition (tonight!) :banana-trip:  Fingers crossed that he did what he said he would, is as confidant about it as he says he is, and is already ready to go.  I'll keep you posted.

So.  My first Rants and Raves in 2018.   :thumb-up:

rnolan:
Hey Kim, good to have you back on board, I'm currently in moving mode and not enjoying it at all.  Tomorrow I have to get ruthless and throw a bunch of stuff in the garbage skip I hired, I've been here 10 years and the garage is full of stuff I haven't even looked at in all that time.  Top it off it will be 38 deg C (~ 100 deg F) tomorrow... And worse I haven't found a place to move to yet  :facepalm:

Fingers crossed the new drummer works out  :whoohoo!:

rabidgerry:
don't f~~kin start me on drummers.  Played last night and our guy played the set much to slow.  Of course this f~~ks me up as I'm looking to bring it to the crowd and there we are playing like we're 65!  Kills me.  Makes me hate our shows when the drummer is just unable to know what speed a f~~kin song goes.  I haven't enjoyed a gig we have played since August at our launch show.  He doesn't practice, and has no real love of drumming so go figure why there are always problems with him.  Why don't se get rid?  Because where I live is bad enough to get replacements, and no one would ever want to play in a band doing what we do because it's not the trend so we're stuck with it!  I nearly quit after the London show as well because of it, we were dreadful and again it's me worrying about drums makes me make mistakes and then it's all just shit!  Our manager then said to me after I said "I can't do this anymore"..........................."this is your only shot, do you want to give that up?  Everything you've been working toward these last few years will be wasted if you stop now".

So go figure why I chose to stay.

herbyguitar:
I have a fabulous drummer. He's very good. He loves to play too... he needs to make more money so he's always blowing us off to go do DJ work because it pays better.
In this area (rural) bass players and drummers are extremely hard to find.

Kim:

--- Quote from: herbyguitar on January 06, 2018, 04:09:22 PM ---In this area (rural) bass players and drummers are extremely hard to find.

--- End quote ---

Right with ya there, Herby.  Here in the "No Coast" we just doesn't seem to have the available players that the East and West Coast areas might be known for.   Everybody and their brother plays guitar.  So very few play bass and there's even less drummers.  If I could go back and do it again.....I'd be a drummer or a bassist and I'd never be without a job. 

1.  It gets worse if you're doing original music. 
2.  Then a bit worse after that if you're doing original music that isn't the trend. 
3.  Now a touch worse if it's original Metal music that doesn't sound like Slayer, Slipknot, Trivium, Avenged Sevenfold or some brutal Death Metal. 
The good players want to do covers only, and the trendy covers at that because apparently "there's money in it".  No soul or real satisfaction but they might get some pocket money.

Musician:  Someone who loads $5,000 worth of gear into a $500 car to drive 150 miles for $50.   

^ The struggle is real.   :facepalm:   You just don't realize how much money is invested with the thought going in that "I'm not in it for the money".   

So back to the Drum Audition.   I can say it went better than I expected! This guy set up just a tiny kit for the audition/jam (he has several kits of various sizes  :o) and just KILLED it!  He only had a short time to prep and learn but was still getting it right.  Remember, the last guy was in the band for 2 years and still couldn't remember "who starts this one?" or where he was at in the song half the time.  Stan and I were just grinning like idiots through the songs because they went so well and just felt perfect.
Hopefully we can continue to move forward now.  There's new songs to write, new places to play, new opportunities to be had.  All of that had to stay on the back burner previously until the Drummer got sorted, but we believe this new guy is up for it.   :banana-rock:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version