Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Hi. I'm the new guy...

(1/3) > >>

herbyguitar:
In the beginning I wanted to play drums. I used to beat on cans, boxes... anything that made a noise. 5th grade I asked my parents for a drum set. The answer was a resounding "NO"! "Too loud"... "But why don't you play guitar"? ...OK. At that point a guitar was pretty cool too.

Fast forward several years. My dad said "You'll never make any money playing music". He was partially right. All through high school I played in bands but never made a dime. Then just out of school I played my first paying gig. I took my $50.00 and waved it in my dad's face. Then met up with a road band and played a Mid West circuit for several years.

A friend called me one day from Tacoma Washington. Wanted me to come up and play in a band with him. My adventures took a different route. Now I was playing a West Coast circuit. Did that for several years and decided to settle down in the SW corner of Missouri.

Got married (bought an MP1, Microtube 100, ART X-15, ADA split stack Digitech harmony machine...) and started a new life. Divorced, remarried, quit playing for 10 years (Gear went in storage).

Wife died. A year later a friend called and said "you need to play again Herby. I said "oh, OK". Bought a Carvin V3m and a Digitech 1101. Dug out my old Peavey 4x12 and my old ART Ultrafoot X-15. That was 5 years ago. About 3 weeks ago I bought a Mesa 2 fifty on Ebay and dug out my old MP1 and started working with it again. So it's been 15 years since I played with my MP1.

A little sterile and choppy but that's a very condensed description of my journey...

[edit] Forgot: I like Old Southern Rock, Country Rock, Old 70's and 80's Rock, Metal, Classical Metal. Newer Country, Bluegrass.....  My playing style is a mess of all sorts of different stuff. My favorite tone is a tight, articulate, woody tone. My favorite guitar is a Strat with a compound radius Exile neck (maple), stock SC pickups (tone knob on the bridge pickup), original FR lock. My other favorite guitar is a Strat with Warmoth neck (bubinga wood), Seymour Duncan YJM pickups (tone knob on the bridge pickup), original FR lock.

MikeB:
Hi Herby,
Welcome aboard. Thanks for the story. Sorry about the loss of your wife.
Not too long ago there was a run of batteries dying.  I guess thay are all getting to an age.  Yours may well be on its last legs too, so it might be a good idea to remedy that before you lose all your patches.  There are some threads in here about dumping your mp1 patches onto a computer and some about swapping batteries.
I hope you enjoy the reconnection with your mp1.
Cheerio,
Mike

rnolan:
Hey hg, welcome to the depot  :wave: , it's good to find out a little more about you and your playing styles, it will help guide some of our/my responses eg tube choice.
BTW, Mike has recently been through the MP1 modernisation path and his MP1 is sounding even better than when I bought it new in 1987 (ish).  Mike and I play in a band together these days (I use MP2s) so I get to hear it first hand  >:D
So any questions you have, we'll do our best to answer them.

Cheers Richard

Kim:
Hi and Welcome! :wave:

herbyguitar:
@MikeB : I don't feel tardy either  :)  Oh. I did the battery mod a couple days ago.

Back in the day I always wanted an old Marshall. I got my hands on a Marshall 200 head. Insanely loud. Piled blankets all over the speakers to make it tolerable. Had to run enough speakers as to not blow anything. A tech friend installed a master volume in it but it never really sounded right. Sold it...

Never had another Marshall. One day I decided "I'm gonna buy another Marshall but this time I'm gonna get one with a saddle on it". I was done riding bareback. That was around 1991 or so. I was at Musicians Friend in Springfield Missouri. The sales person said "You don't want a Marshall. I've got something that blows it away". I walked out with a lot of new ADA gear that day.

A mistake I made a couple years later was to trade my 2 ADA 2x12 cabs for a Peavey 4x12 cab, and instead of carrying 2 rack bags I got a 6 space rack. My reasoning was that I wanted to condense my gear so I didn't have so many pieces to carry. As time went on I realized the folly of trading 2 manageable cabs for one heavy beast. The 6 space rack wasn't too dang light either.

I was pretty happy with my rack setup though. I had (top to bottom) strip, NADY wireless, 2 processors, and my ADA pre and power amps.

All I have left of my ADA gear is the MP1. Now I wanna make it the dream amp I've always wanted and finally found. So now it's a matter of tweaking it... and that's why I'm here.

Great site and good people. I'm likin' this place.

[edit] : How do I find the version number on the MP1? Is it inside?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version