Non ADA Gear > Rack Gear

Peavey TubeFEX

(1/3) > >>

Dante:
Since we got off topic about my Behringer preamp that I picked up for emergency purposes, I thought i'd start a new thread about this unit. I also have the proprietary foot controller, which is connected with an 8 pin midi cable for phantom power. You can use a 5-pin, but you'll have to power the pedal board with a wall wart, just like the ADA footswitches.

I just went through the presets in this thing and now realize two things:

* The harmonizer was a new effect when this came out, and was used a bit too much
* My memory serves me well = this thing is a beast, and a damn good standalone unit (preamp and effects)
The skinny: This unit has two tubes, much like the ADA units. It has four knobs for controlling your tone on the fly (very cool). It has a cache card, that I have not explored yet, but I'm told it is handy. I haven't figured out how to save/move patches around yet, but that's next on my list. Right now, I'm just enjoying diddling the knobs on patches as I scroll through.

The footswitch is gigantic, and sturdy. Built like a tank, and heavy. If it were a couple inches narrower, it'd fit into a rack (but it's about 2 rack units tall).

Here's a pic of the unit, paired only with an ADA MicroFET amp. Pay no attention to the 4u rack on the floor, that's my main rig (with the Behringer) until I get my ADA preamps fixed. I have not been happy with the MicroFET, but it appears to be good enough for the Peavey. I've also attached the manual, to explain what this thing does

rabidgerry:
So I got my unit and played about with it for 30-40mins.  It's not for me.  As awesome as I think it sounded, it was the feel of the unit that I don't like.  It felt alien to me.  So something I have been chasing for a while I am now going to sell on.  Crazy how I didn't like it.  Guess I'm sticking with my Peavey Rockmasters/MP1s over this unit.

The FX were great, and the tube tone, but I felt there was no attack, much like when a compressor is used and you soften the attack on it.  Not for me.  Selling on guys.  I feel this unit if for another type of player, but not me.  I could hang onto it for studio, but I have a good setup that feels and sounds excellent to my ears so I shall stick with all my other gear.  When I got this I was expecting a Rockmaster with FX.  I didn't get that really.

Dante:
I can relate to that, it does feel a bit strange, but it sounds great. I'll get used to the feel, but it's only temporary anyway. Honestly, the Behringer is doing a great job for now.

This Peavey though, it's a different animal, much like (but nothing like) the MP2. Very complicated, way more features than buttons to access them. I started reading the manual, it opened a lot of new doors, and has also caused some newfound confusion. I'm only partway through it, and I have all day to play with it. I'm not going outside.

Dante:
Okay, i have this dialed in now...it only took 4 hours -lol-

You basically have a 4-voice unit here: Clean | Crunch | Lead | Ultra
Clean = ADA Solid State clean
Crunch = ADA Brown sound (sort of)
Lead = ADA MP-2 high gain settings (sort of )
Ultra = the noisy voices in the MP-2 (ultra high gain etc.)

The usual array of guitar effects; Compressor, Distortion, Overdrive, Chorus, Delay, Hum Filter, Pitch Shift (1&2-?), Reverb, 5-band EQ, 3-band EQ with sweeping Mid, 4-band parametric EQ, Classic EQ, Auto pan, Envelope filter, Coil tap -?, Exciter, Speaker Sim, Stereo Sim, Noise Gate and something called a 'splitter' whatever that is.

You can have up to 9 effects in a string....NINE. wow... The factory presets have harmonizer on top of harmonizer, which confuses the sh** outta me right there. I use a path like this;  Amp voicing / Noise reduction / EQ / Chorus&Modulation FX / Reverb / Delay. That's six...so I guess I can see the idea of having nine...just in case. I suppose I could double up delays/reverbs etc...but I like my stuff clear.... I like to hear the notes. I also like to taste my food, not cover it with sauce.

I have a bank set up with: clean | clean wet | clean solo | classic crunch | modern crunch | metal | dirty solo | dirty solo w/big delay. That leaves me two patches for special song-specific effects. It'll work for a gig as it is, I'm covered until my ADAs are fixed.

Systematic Chaos:
Sounds good... reminds me a tad bit of the Digitech 2101/2112/2120 units. These also have 2 12AX7 and a wide (and soundwise top-notch) array of FX.
They pop up quite often here in JPN (2120) for as little as 100$

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version