Let's Get Technical > Troubleshooting Problems

MP1 - > Midiverb II -> UX2?

<< < (2/2)

Chip Roberts:
You cats know your stuff!  In that case, what I'm really looking for is just a MIDI foot controller, would something like this do?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322463771547?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

My reason for not getting the MC1 or MPC is because I want an all-in-one rackmounted pedalboard that can be removed from the rack and placed on stage without having to worry about other crap that I can lose.  The way I have it set up is a drawer with the tabs removed that normally stop it from sliding out all the way.  Velcroed on the drawer I have tuner, A/B, Boss Chorus, Flanger, Phase 90, Crybaby, and then a space for a 4 button MIDI footswitch.  Does anyone know if the ADA Quad switch can be used for this, or is it only meant to be used in tandem with an MC1?

The whole point of complexifying my rig is so I only have to make one trip to the car...

rnolan:
Hey Chip, yes that pedal will work with MP-1 but will only change the first 4 patches, well that's not entirely true, it sends out program change 1 to 4 (or more likely 0 to 3) unless you do the hold down for 3 seconds thing on it.  You could use the MP-1s midi mapping to have the MP-1 change to any internal patch when it receives those patch changes from the pedal (this is also reflected on the MP-1s midi out). Eg select patch 1 on pedal, map MP-1 to change to patch 30 (when it receives #1), MP-1s midi through send on #1, MP-1s midi out sends #30...  From the add it seems it also supports phantom power over a 7 pin midi lead with the wall wart in the back much the same as the ADA pedals.

Quad switch works with the ADA MXC pedal and just does on/off continuous control (CC).  The software for the Quad switch is in the MXC pedal.  MP-1 has no real time (CC) midi capability. I don't remember if the MVII has CC functionality  :dunno: but if you wanted to go that way you'd need a different pedal to the one in the eBay add, it only does patch change.

Harley Hexxe:
Hi Chip,

Yes that pedal will work for your MIDI program changes, but it seems like the limited controls will be cumbersome after time.

I would suggest that the first thing you do is figure out how many different tone patches you need with the MP-1 first,(i.e. how many sounds you need for your guitar from clean to distorted). This is where you need to do a bit of thinking and planning. First create all the guitar patches you will use in a live situation. Most players have three or four basic tones for their guitars. Then figure out which effects patches you want to use with each of the guitar tones you've created. Now when you have all of this completed, You can save all the guitar tones you created to the MP-1's Bank 1 which will be the first 10 patches you'll see when you power it up. You should be able to save your effects patches in the first 10 program change slots in the QV, and have the patch numbers match the patch numbers in the MP-1.
   With this setup, when you hit button 1 thru 4 on the footswitch, both the MP-1 and the QV with go to the same patch numbers. So you can set up four patches with effects, and four patches without them simply by editing the effects loop in or out in the MP-1. This would be the simplest way to organize this setup and have it work for you, all by having everything in the same bank. When you hold down the button for three seconds, it will give you presets 5 thru 8. (That's the part I would find cumbersome), then to go back to the original four, I believe you hold down the opposite button for 3 seconds.
   I had something similar early on when I got into MIDI with some Digitech gear I was using, and there was a two-button MIDI footswitch that operated like that. I didn't like it at all for a live situation, so I got rid of that stuff, and went pro all the way.
   I would recommend looking for the ADA MPC pedal which is much more compact than the MC-1 and will fit in your rack. Unless of course, you want to go with MIDI CC as Richard suggests, then the MXC, Quad switch and CCP, would help you. Of course there are other choices out there you can look for that have all of that in one package. You'd just have to pay attention to the physical dimensions to be sure it will fit in your case.

Harley 8)

Chip Roberts:
Awesome!  I played a Line 6 combo for years, only recently upgrading to the Spider Valve in 2015, and while I loved that amp (it has the Bogner tube preamp), it was way too heavy and didn't have built-in chorus, so it's just chilling at home right now.  Anyways, I always used the 4-button FBV Express, and if anything, four was the more than I needed.  The way I figure it I have 1 clean with a bit of delay, 2 hotter clean with a lot of delay, 3 dry dirty, 4 overdrive delay.  Boom.  I use my stompboxes for any other effects I want, mostly for wankage at best.  Thanks for all your help, dudes!  Expect more stupid questions coming from me throughout the board. 

Harley Hexxe:
The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version