ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: dealing with GAS  (Read 107595 times)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: dealing with GAS
« Reply #165 on: Time Format »

The price alone on this thing is waaaaaaaaaaayyyyy too high.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #166 on: Time Format »

The price alone on this thing is waaaaaaaaaaayyyyy too high.
+1 :thumb-up:
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Chamai

« Reply #167 on: Time Format »

Not sure what type of market they were trying to get into. Are is Roland really that stupid to come up with something like this? Googled that amp and seems no one actually bought one and posted any reviews online. I've never seen. One in our local stores as well. Maybe if they clear it out for 399, I may get one as a bed room amp. 1 watt solid state amp clipping. Yum
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #168 on: Time Format »

That's weird, I found reviews and they were favourable, but they complained about support from Boss about software or something I didn't understand.

I can't find any information about what the hell technology and spec the f**king thing is.

Seems weird.  I never even heard of its release.
Not sure what type of market they were trying to get into. Are is Roland really that stupid to come up with something like this? Googled that amp and seems no one actually bought one and posted any reviews online. I've never seen. One in our local stores as well. Maybe if they clear it out for 399, I may get one as a bed room amp. 1 watt solid state amp clipping. Yum
Not sure what you mean Chamai?

Given they've made amps and shit before to me it seems they've tried to blend the two ideas together, their amp modeling and their amps.

Still would love to know what the hell the f**king things is and how it works etc
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #169 on: Time Format »

That amp works on the tone capsule principle just like the combo versions they have out for a few years now

It's the same as these but with selectable output from 25 watts to 150 watts. They also require special designed speakers which are as expensive as the amp is.

Personally, I don't see this going very far for the price.

Chamai

« Reply #170 on: Time Format »

That's weird, I found reviews and they were favourable, but they complained about support from Boss about software or something I didn't understand.

I can't find any information about what the hell technology and spec the f**king thing is.

Seems weird.  I never even heard of its release.
Not sure what you mean Chamai?

Given they've made amps and shit before to me it seems they've tried to blend the two ideas together, their amp modeling and their amps.

Still would love to know what the hell the f**king things is and how it works etc

sorry, it was 2 am when i was typing that.

what i meant was what market was roland trying to target?
the guys who are tube snobs won't buy it
people who uses solid state won't spend that kind of money on an amp usually
there are guys who uses kempler and axe fx coz they want to amp modelling.

the waza has this weird 1 watt mode. not sure how it will work on solid state. it's most likely an emulation of some sort.
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #171 on: Time Format »

scored a Rocktron Velocity amp.....

Cool!  :thumb-up:   Is it the older 2U Velocity 300?  I had one of those....highly recommended as an SS rack poweramp.  The newer 1U Velocity poweramps I've heard not-so-good things about but never tried one of those myself.

I was trying the velocity for the first time today.

Tell me, do they need to warm up?

I got f**king nothing or rather a blurry noisy mess until a few minutes until it kicked in and was good for about 2 hours of playing today.  It concerned me there was no sound to start off, it's not tubes, why did it need to warm up?  Anyways

it's the shit!  Feels incredible.  Makes guitar sound awesome, and easier to play,  really hard to explain.  If you scoop all the mids out, it still sounded good, I was amazed!  This could be the best amp of all time for me and my set up.  It made everything really liquidy smooth, and I had all the power I had with my Harely Benton GPA400.

Even though it weighs a tonne!  for a 1U, I have to try and figure out how I can get this amp on a plane so I can tour with it.  It's awesome!

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #172 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, well really glad it's a great sound etc but it shouldn't take time to warm up, sure tubes need to come to temp but not SS.  In a SS amp that would indicate something not quite right and corrects itself when it gets warm  :dunno:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #173 on: Time Format »

I feared this!

That is (and I can't be sure until I test a non tube device straight into the amp) unless it was my preamp warming up?

I wish I had checked now by using my GT5 on-board digital preamp.  Had I done that I would have known no warming up and I should have signal right away!  Dam!

Well fingers crossed for me guy's I don't want to have to return the amp to the guy.  Not after I see the tone of the amp being a game changer for me.  If an amp makes playing guitar feel easier then I'm all for that.  Plenty of warmth too.

I guess when roctron labelled the circuit inside the "reactance circuit" they weren't joking.  No wonder the dam thing is so heavy!  Nearly 9kg for a 1u.  Must something substantial in there!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #174 on: Time Format »

Hey Gerry,

This was the first time you fired up the amp, as you stated. Try it again after everything has cooled down, and see if it repeats what it did. It's also possible that this particular amp may not have been in use for quite some time before you bought it. That may have an effect on the circuitry, i.e. Filter caps may need to balance out before functioning properly, etc. Big caps can get a little squirrely  if they discharge all their voltage, then suddenly get a full charge again.

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #175 on: Time Format »

I guess when roctron labelled the circuit inside the "reactance circuit" they weren't joking.  No wonder the dam thing is so heavy!  Nearly 9kg for a 1u.  Must something substantial in there!

My older 2U version had a huge torroidal transformer in there that was a very large part of the weight of the amp.  I'm guessing whatever transformer might be in yours is what's making the whole thing heavy.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #176 on: Time Format »

Well the main weight in an SS poweramp is the power supply (transformer), so it would seem it has lots of gusto (9kg  :facepalm: , do you have enough power to feed it ?)  Though a B200s is 7.25 kgs, but the G500s is 10.5kgs (and a tube amp would be even more).

Anyway that aside, how long warm up ??, if it's your preamp then it will be the same for all your amps, as you are saying this is unusual, then it seems something poweramp related ? Now maybe it's something related to building up the appropriate amount of herbivorous in the poweramp  :dunno: , I think unlikely though but MJMP or others may be able to throw some light on it.  One question, how many watts is it and how much power does it need (are you feeding it the amount of malted barley it wants and quickly enough ?, I suspect you are and there shouldn't be an issue but worth noting).

My (unfortunate) suspicion is there is something in the amp that is coming good when it gets warm, or it should be up to full vol very quickly (it doesn't have to warm up tubes...).  With SS amps, you press the go button and they work..

Edit: What Harley is saying makes sense, give it a few goes, it may settle down, the good thing is you really like the tone (and that's the most important).  You could also re-flow it (hey can't hurt).
« Last Edit: Time Format by rnolan »

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #177 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard,

That makes perfect sense too, a cold solder joint! I didn't think of that one. Good idea.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #178 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, it really came home for me when my B200s started to crackle ( and really loud  :facepalm: ), I got a tech to look at it, and nahh, still the same, he had another go, told me is wasn't worth me getting him to change every component to fix it, WTF, then MJMP told me he had the same issue once and re flowing all the power caps etc fixed it but hey why not re flow the whole thing.. now this is not a big deal with a B200s, they are relatively simple amps, and easy to work on, and woh hey, it all came good and is still pumping  :whoohoo!: . Hey shit happens over time, lots of vibrations, hot/cold etc. Sometimes (not always), a re-flow can fix it.. but if done correctly, it can't hurt.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #179 on: Time Format »

Ok well it came on when I switched it on, but the sound was a lot quieter than it should have been for a 300watt amp at half volume plugged into 4  2x12" cabs.

Anyways the first time I didn't keep it on for it to come good.  I switched it off and plugged in my other amp because I needed to rehearse and not mess about.  So yesterday had  go with it and the same thing happened when I had turned it on.  Sound, but weak and strange sounding.  Then I'd say about 60-120 seconds it cleared and got very, very loud and I immediately had to turn down to about a 1/3 of the volume knob (it was at half) as I was standing beside it and it was dangerously loud for my hearing.

Then I played with it for about 2-3 hours without issue.

Reason I brought up my preamp being the issue, because sometimes my peavey rockmaster doesn't like to come on right away due to dirty contacts through the multiple FX loops it has.  Sometimes I need to plug patch cables in and out to get it working.  Sometimes I don't, sometimes it comes on right away, sometimes it doesn't, but does after a few seconds.

Harley the amp I dunno when last used, they guy who sold it to me I think was using it up until fairly recent.  It did take a right in a padded box in a plane from England to Northern Ireland.  But I dunno if that would have affected it so much since it had 1" thick dense foam lining the box it was in.  May be, how knows?

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23   Go Up