ADA Preamps > Original MP-1

Mod1 (Cathode follower) and Mod 4 mark II?

(1/7) > >>

jarrodthebobo:
Hey guys Ah was just wondering how each of these mods sound in comparison to the stock ADA mp-1. Ah can't seem to find any demos of these mods, and only very brief descriptions on what they sound like. Was wondering if anyone who's done these mods would be willing to give me a glimpse unto what these mods do to the sound?

Ah'm very interested in performing the cathode follower mod aswell as the mark II as ah'm always chasing that cranked plexi/jcm800 tone and am not always 100% satisfied with the stock ADA mp-1 tone (Although it is pretty close).

Ah'd love a demo, or just an in depth description of these mods! Thankyou!

-Jarrod

AxeHarmony:
the mod1 is browner grittier than the mod4 mk11 where the mod4 mk11 is a more modern higher gain saturated gain so YES you need to have both to cover all basis

and then make a 3.666 (but you need to switch patches for a good scooped rhythm tone and a good lead tone (secret - the 3,666 can make a nice lead tone, just dial it in from scratch, don't scoop tone...)

then get a 3TM

Done !     :metal:

trader144:
If I wanted to play and have od1 and od2 set around 2 to 3 for slightly gritty,  which is noticeable light distortion but not quite blues light, what mod would you recommend?

My mp-1 is stock and this level of distortion seems to be the worst sounding area from my mp-1.

Maybe I need to adjust or swap my trimpots. Tubes are new.

David

rnolan:
Hey David
First thing I'd do is get the GMaj mixed in in parallel, not chain through it, Try taking it out so MP1 > Amp > cabs and compare, the difference is quite distinct/noticeable/better.
What tubes are you using ? For the sounds I think you are chasing I'd go with some Mullard short plates.
Mod I'd recommend is buy MP2 unless you want 3TM shredder. I had MP1 initially, now MP2, recently got to use my original MP1 for a bit and wanted more gain (i.e. understood why 3TM). IMHO MP2 is a much better/improved unit than stock MP1.
Cheers R

trader144:
Rnolan
Great advice on the mullards!
I am using a pair of matched Ruby HG's.
I am stuck with mono on stage.

From reading, it sounds like a mullard I61 and I63 are the way to go and try first.
I need a warm clean sound, a great low distortion sound, and 5150 for solos.

Any more free advice on the mullards?

David

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version