ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is up, fellow ADA users!  (Read 5680 times)

Scheshevski

What is up, fellow ADA users!
« on: Time Format »

Hi,

Thought I'd say hello so that's what I'm doing.

I'm a middle aged guy from Helsinki, Finland and I play guitar in band as my beef supreme hobby. We play good old 70-80s stuff and during the years, my taste regarding guitar tone is all ADA and Marshall. I also prefer rack solutions and have never really understood the appeal of using many different pedals, but anyhow, whatever makes you happy I guess.

I think the quest for tone is much like the scene from Full Metal Jacket regarding rifles; "...there are many rifles, but this one is mine" :-) I fortunately have found "my tone" using ADA and Marshall and I really enjoy the situation. I no longer think the grass is greener. I can dial in my tone and leave it untouched for months. The only thing I do is tune my guitar when needed. I know some people like to tweak and fiddle with those knobs, but I don't. All I need is a smooth conservative classic distortion and those sweet mids to make my day, no concrete/steel distortion, no 7 strings or down tuning more than Eb etc.

I'm a gear junkie and I rarely sell anything, I just get more stuff, although I did sell a ADA w/ Voodoo mod to my buddy. That I now regret, it is a fine piece of equipment so I guess it's cool the thing is still in "the family"

Another thing I've noticed to be true is the old saying about "fingers". I have tried many pieces of equipment but there is a slight tendency for the gear to sound like the player using it, at least when settings are "normal".

In the future I will purchase another power amp (well two actually, since I need one at home also) and have two racks in working order.

Well, that all the ranting for now. I will probably not break any records regarding activity on the site, but I'll stop by every now and then.

Cheers,

Wayne Scheshevski
« Last Edit: Time Format by Scheshevski »
"Well, I don't know - wh-wh-... what're the hours?"

Guitars;
- Piece o shit modified Harley Benton w/ Tiger paint, Shaller whammy, Dimarzio Tone something and scalloped fretboard.
- Warmoth soloist w/ walnut body and ebony neck, reverse head stock and Dimarzio Air something n/b humbuckers.
- Warmoth VIP w/ blue transparent finish and n/b Duncan humbuckers.
- Warmoth YJM strat w/ 22 frets
- Warmoth Strat w/ Screamin Demon and Cool Rail
- Tokai Les Paul made in Japan w/ Duncan Full Shred and 59.
- Squier strat made in Japan w/ Duncan 59 in the bridge
- Piece o shit black strat w/ hot rails

Amps;
- ADA MP-1 Stock
- ADA MP-1 Stock
- ADA MP-1 3TM
- ADA MP-1 Classic
- Marshall JMP-1 w/ Folkesson mod
- Mesa 20/20 power amp
- Marshall MG 10

Cabs;
1x12 Mesa Thiele
1x12 Mesa Thiele

Effects;
- TC G-Major
- Alesis Midiverb 4
- Digitech RP 500

Floor board;
Piece o shit FCB1010 that is used for changing midi channels only, because, well you know if you ever tried one :-)

Tuning Eb, strings 9-46, picks 1,5mm Dunlops

And then a bunch of stuff like Eq, Hush, BBE, distortion pedals and such. I have a Precision copy and a Warwick combo but usually don't play bass, Shure/Sennheiser mics for backup vocals.

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
Re: What is up, fellow ADA users!
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

I think the quest for tone is much like the scene from Full Metal Jacket regarding rifles; "...there are many rifles, but this one is mine" :-) I fortunately have found "my tone" using ADA and Marshall and I really enjoy the situation. I no longer think the grass is greener. I can dial in my tone and leave it untouched for months. The only thing I do is tune my guitar when needed. I know some people like to tweak and fiddle with those knobs, but I don't. All I need is a smooth conservative classic distortion and those sweet mids to make my day, no concrete/steel distortion, no 7 strings or down tuning more than Eb etc.

+1!!!  :thumb-up:

BROTHER!!!  :bow:

Welcome to the Depot!  :thumb-up:
On the run again!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hey Wayne, welcome to the depot  :wave: , I did a slight edit on your post (in red). Hey, chime in when/if you feel like it  :thumb-up:
BTW my approach is very similar to yours, although after many years with the same tone(s) I'm staring to experiment a little again.  Mostly around different guitars and their particular PUs though, my main tones (MP-1 originally and now MP-2) I dialed in around my Anderson Pro-am with Ultrasonic PUs (which are quite flat freq response).  Dante (for example) sets up a bunch of patches for each of his guitars, makes sense.  And also I occasionally try some of the patches posted here, there are a few jems to be found.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Welcome to the depot  :thumb-up:

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hi Wayne,

Welcome to the Depot :thumb-up:
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Orkun

• 80s Hard Rock/Metal Forever
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Welcome to the depot  :headbanger:  :thumb-up: !

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Welcome, Mr. Scheshevski (sp?)!!

I would like to ask you a couple things about your gear, because I too, sir, am a gear whore (no shame in that). Firstly, tell me about this Tokai LP you have. Tell me everything....send pictures. Please. I have a great appreciation for Japanese guitars, especially from the 70-80s era. I have some photos below to prove that claim.

Secondly, tell me how you like your Thieles. I had two, sold one. I use one for the small gigs, and a 4x12 for bigger stages. Not necessarily bigger shows, just bigger rooms I need to help fill. I found my Thieles kinda projecting in a single beam ----- straight out, not really filling the room. Hence, I sold one.

Welcome to the family, maybe you'll find your ol' preamp someday. Maybe, just maybe, you'll build another one that's better  :thumb-up:
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hey Wayne, nice equipment  :thumb-up:
Like Dante I am a gear whores as well :lol:  there's alot of us in who are. My question is on your JMP mod
 What exactly did it do to the tone? Oh yeah,  welcome!
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

Scheshevski

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Thank you all for your kind words!

The Thiele is a thing that originally came out of thinking small/compact. I wanted a quality 3U rack and a stereo out, that's all. So I got the MP1, TC and Mesa 20/20 through two Thiele 1x12s. I can place them a couple of feet apart and get a really satisfying "bigger" sound, or I can aim them in a way that makes it easier for the drummer and my self. Sometimes I use one as a monitor for myself and the other one for the rest of the band. Thieles works really well in a jam setting and smaller clubs. I was thinking about getting one 4x12 or two but I'm pretty happy with what I got. A 1x12 will have its limits but then again, it's just a 1x12.

The Folkesson mod. I can't remember how the JMP sounded before since the first thing I did was ship the thing to Tommy after I got it. The sound is really good with many different tone settings. If push come to shove, I'd say it's fuller and warmer but then again, it could just be a confirmation bias. Anyways, I am really happy with the thing.

The Tokai. I changed the original pickups to 59s but then I changed the bridge pickup to a Duncan Full Shred because I wanted the 59 on my "EVH" Squier strat and a little more bite on the Tokai. It has a pretty thick neck, at least compared to others I have tried. I'm a strat guy all the way so I'm not the right guy to talk about the Tokai but I have used it as my main guitar lately and it rocks alright. It fell down on the floor head first so I had the head stock repaired. I will change the pick up selector, machine heads etc, at some point, in order to get a more pro feel.
"Well, I don't know - wh-wh-... what're the hours?"

Guitars;
- Piece o shit modified Harley Benton w/ Tiger paint, Shaller whammy, Dimarzio Tone something and scalloped fretboard.
- Warmoth soloist w/ walnut body and ebony neck, reverse head stock and Dimarzio Air something n/b humbuckers.
- Warmoth VIP w/ blue transparent finish and n/b Duncan humbuckers.
- Warmoth YJM strat w/ 22 frets
- Warmoth Strat w/ Screamin Demon and Cool Rail
- Tokai Les Paul made in Japan w/ Duncan Full Shred and 59.
- Squier strat made in Japan w/ Duncan 59 in the bridge
- Piece o shit black strat w/ hot rails

Amps;
- ADA MP-1 Stock
- ADA MP-1 Stock
- ADA MP-1 3TM
- ADA MP-1 Classic
- Marshall JMP-1 w/ Folkesson mod
- Mesa 20/20 power amp
- Marshall MG 10

Cabs;
1x12 Mesa Thiele
1x12 Mesa Thiele

Effects;
- TC G-Major
- Alesis Midiverb 4
- Digitech RP 500

Floor board;
Piece o shit FCB1010 that is used for changing midi channels only, because, well you know if you ever tried one :-)

Tuning Eb, strings 9-46, picks 1,5mm Dunlops

And then a bunch of stuff like Eq, Hush, BBE, distortion pedals and such. I have a Precision copy and a Warwick combo but usually don't play bass, Shure/Sennheiser mics for backup vocals.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey Wayne, nice collection  :thumb-up: :whoohoo!:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Welcome, Wayne!
ADA and Rockman Heads