ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bobby Gustafson's sound? (Overkill - The Years Of Decay)  (Read 8938 times)

Sensonic

Hi there!

I've had MP-1 for 28 years and MP-2 for 15 years.

I've always like Bobby Gustafson's guitar sound on Overkill's The Years Of Decay but just lately found out that he used MP-1 for recording that album.

Has anyone mastered Bobby's sound with his/her MP-1/MP-2?
If yes, could you please share the settings of that preset/patch?

I'm also looking for settings of other heavy sounds like John Petrucci, Dimebag Darrel etc. I've tried to search those ones but have found very little information/hints/tips about them. So where to look for those sounds/settings?

Thanks in advance!  :)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey Sensonic, welcome to the depot  :wave: .  There are members here who will no doubt be able to help. RG will roast me but I don't know much about any of those guys sounds  :facepalm: .  IIRC there was a post about John Petrucci tones  :dunno: .
Ok so you have MP-1 and M-2, both exceptionally capable units. You can also (obviously) try to reverse engineer the sounds you want (and along the way I dare say you'll find some of your own tones). Keep in mind the total sound has many variables, guitar/PUs (and very much how it's played ie fingers), Fxs, amps, cabs.... they all go to make up the tone.  You need to break it down to the various components.  One thing I would say when you run up patches on the MP-1/2 is do it at stage volume then turn it down.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.

I'm familiar with Bobby G' s work, as I first heard Overkill back when Taking Over came out, and I bought it on vinyl.  :thumb-up:

I did have that patch on my MP1 back when I had one, but the details that I remember are only that it was based directly from the #1 patch and tweaked from there.  Up around 7 or so on od1, and the rest was eq adjustment. Like Rnolan said, other things will affect the results...much magic and other studio witchery often comes into play and makes chasing certain sounds more difficult.  But what I had worked for me for the songs I played off the Taking Over album so they should get you a good place to start.

Since having the MP2, I have not really tried to get anyone else's sound.

Sensonic

Hey Sensonic, welcome to the depot  :wave: .  There are members here who will no doubt be able to help. RG will roast me but I don't know much about any of those guys sounds  :facepalm: .  IIRC there was a post about John Petrucci tones  :dunno: .
Ok so you have MP-1 and M-2, both exceptionally capable units. You can also (obviously) try to reverse engineer the sounds you want (and along the way I dare say you'll find some of your own tones). Keep in mind the total sound has many variables, guitar/PUs (and very much how it's played ie fingers), Fxs, amps, cabs.... they all go to make up the tone.  You need to break it down to the various components.  One thing I would say when you run up patches on the MP-1/2 is do it at stage volume then turn it down.

Thanks!  :)

If I remember correctly, I was registered to old Adadepot before it went down.
Just couldn't remember my login information anymore (whether they were valid anymore???) so I registered again.

Been listening to those old Overkill albums while working (don't like their newer stuff so much). I'm currently using MP-2 but MP-1 is still in my rack so maybe one day I'll use it again. Therefore I asked about Bobby's tone :)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Unfortunately we didn't get to preserve the old depot logins etc.  This is a totally new (a while ago now) site/forum started by Dante  :bow: (hey Dante, are your pockets wet yet LoL).
Well I've become (over many years now) a MP-2 devotee, I recently picked up a couple of MP-1s, and prior to that, a couple of MB-1s and started playing bass  >:D (well more seriously, and loving it  :thumb-up: ). I'd encourage you to fire up the MP-1, they are a thing unto themselves and, I must say, I loved firing one up again (I also get to play through MikeBs MP-1 at some rehearsals  :metal: and he gets a crack at my MB-1 bass rig and Alembic SC Brown bass).

One thing I remember from my long and very pleasant MP-1 days is they take a bit of tweaking to get/settle on what you want (MP-2 I found a bit less so, even though it's even more tweak able). While I was in a predominately covers band at the time, I very much developed my own tones with it (eg a jam I wrote may years ago (attached)). 
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

E!-limination  ;D Overkill, a great band. Loved them since they appeared on Metal Massacre 5 with Death Rider.

Now the sound on years of decay could be a MP-1 but also a JCM800.Either way it does have a boosted sound. But I guess you can get very close in sound with a MP-1 boosted with EQ (like a boss GE-7) with a reverse smile setting. I used to use this on my first MP-1 in the early 90's.You can get the perfect trash sound out of an MP-1 this way.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook

I never really got into Overkill despite my love of a million and 1 bands in this metal style.

I think to put the metal to the test (see what I did there?),  it's time to post some clips.  Whilst I do not have the GE-7 EQ I have an excellent Chinese (feeling the scrutiny right now  :facepalm:) copy Biyang!

And I've been lookin an excuse to crack it out recently so now is my chance right?  :thumb-up:

Hopefully have some clips up this weekend.

Personally I boost my stock MP1 with the Vintage Overdrive on my Boss GT5, no drive, and volume set to half way.  I get that extra chunk.  Essentially it's acting as a mid-hi mid boost in front of the MP1.  Sounds great to me.  But I wanna try the EQ out also.

MJMP how many db do you boost?  Just until it feels right? :headbanger:
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

In the mid range around 7dB
Pages: [1]   Go Up