ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yet - more help guys.........................  (Read 13645 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Yet - more help guys.........................
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Ahh, the fun begins, time for a quadverb (or similar)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Cool enough!   :thumb-up: 

What speakers in that cab?

I use the stock Peavey 5150 cabs for everything, have always loved the tone of those! Plus you can pick those up cheap because of how many people hate Peavey now since they shipped the entire operation to Korea!

I did have to rewire the cabs; the 5150 cabs did not have the stereo feature and I needed them to run at 8 Ohms because of the damn Boogie power amp  >:(

Ahh, the fun begins, time for a quadverb (or similar)

And yeah I loved the Quadverb but really loved the Quad GT because of the noisegate and graphic EQ  :thumb-up:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter

Samuraipanda

« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

[quote
 And yeah I loved the Quadverb but really loved the Quad GT because of the noisegate and graphic EQ  :thumb-up:
[/quote]

I originally had the Quadraverb and then switched to the GT for the exact same reason.

Now both are gone and I use the Boss GT-10 for all my effects.

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

[quote

I originally had the Quadraverb and then switched to the GT for the exact same reason.

Now both are gone and I use the Boss GT-10 for all my effects.
[/quote]

OK real good to know! I will look into that because the only effect I've ever used is a digital delay and a noise gate so rather than having to troll through Ebay or Reverb I'll will c heck that out Bro  :D
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, I find my "can't do without" effect is reverb, so except when I need/want a specific effect for something (which is rare these days) I just use some mild shortish stereo delay and some reverb (chamber seems to work well), so in my Quadverb:
FX  Quadverb:
Stereo Delay L 120ms/FB 26% R 240ms/FB 36%
Pitch Mode = Stereo Chorus, Squarewave, LFO Sp 01/ depth 63/ pitch FB 37%
Reverb = Chamber1 predelay 74ms/ Rev decay 50/ diffusion 6/ density 7

Also I've always used a small mixer with 3 Aux/Fx sends and run my rig (in stereo) much like a PA.  So Fx units are set to full wet and I mix them in via channels on the desk.

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, I find my "can't do without" effect is reverb, so except when I need/want a specific effect for something (which is rare these days) I just use some mild shortish stereo delay and some reverb (chamber seems to work well), so in my Quadverb:
FX  Quadverb:
Stereo Delay L 120ms/FB 26% R 240ms/FB 36%
Pitch Mode = Stereo Chorus, Squarewave, LFO Sp 01/ depth 63/ pitch FB 37%
Reverb = Chamber1 predelay 74ms/ Rev decay 50/ diffusion 6/ density 7

Also I've always used a small mixer with 3 Aux/Fx sends and run my rig (in stereo) much like a PA.  So Fx units are set to full wet and I mix them in via channels on the desk.

Hey Richard it has been too may years for me ( 91' - 2001' ) did or does the Quad color the tone of the MP-1 at all or a little? I really don't remember how transparent it is - share your thoughts  ;D
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, I always found the Quadverb to be nice and transparent, particularly in it's day, and not colour the sound.  Now over time A/D and D/A convertors and DSP have come a long way so some (but not all) of the more modern units are definitely better sonically.  I have a midiverb4 I picked up along the way, but I haven't bothered with it much.  The Quadverb is one of the most tweakable multi Fx I've seen, so many parameters and the manual is excellent, good explanations.  But probably a bit much detail for some.  I'd have to check, but I think the Quadverb has true analogue pass through of the direct signal (as does the Inteleflex).  This is important (to me) if you want to chain through it (referred to as the 4 cable method around here) ie MP-1 A/B out > Fx L/R in, Fx L/R out > poweramp and adjust the wet dry mix in the Fx.  Most modern units eg the TC GMaj A/D the signal on input so now it's all digital and D/A it on output so sound better when used with a small analogue mixer, Fx full wet and mixed in using Fx send/rtns.  Thus the analogue tube signal stays analogue all the way to the amp.  I tested this a while ago with MikeB (and there are some posts re our results).  Mike used an ART Split Mix to preserve the analogue MP-1 signal and mixed in hs GMaj.  Now while this does sound better, the difference isn't huge and most are happy to chain through their stereo multi Fx.

I was given a TC MOne XL (studio) reverb which I have in my studio rack, it definitely sounds better (but not from a colour perspective, both are nice and transparent).  The MOne has a patch called "for guitar" which has a mild delay and nice reverb.  Basically I just dial that up and get the gain right. It sounds superb.

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, I always found the Quadverb to be nice and transparent, particularly in it's day, and not colour the sound.  Now over time A/D and D/A convertors and DSP have come a long way so some (but not all) of the more modern units are definitely better sonically.  I have a midiverb4 I picked up along the way, but I haven't bothered with it much.  The Quadverb is one of the most tweakable multi Fx I've seen, so many parameters and the manual is excellent, good explanations.  But probably a bit much detail for some.  I'd have to check, but I think the Quadverb has true analogue pass through of the direct signal (as does the Inteleflex).  This is important (to me) if you want to chain through it (referred to as the 4 cable method around here) ie MP-1 A/B out > Fx L/R in, Fx L/R out > poweramp and adjust the wet dry mix in the Fx.  Most modern units eg the TC GMaj A/D the signal on input so now it's all digital and D/A it on output so sound better when used with a small analogue mixer, Fx full wet and mixed in using Fx send/rtns.  Thus the analogue tube signal stays analogue all the way to the amp.  I tested this a while ago with MikeB (and there are some posts re our results).  Mike used an ART Split Mix to preserve the analogue MP-1 signal and mixed in hs GMaj.  Now while this does sound better, the difference isn't huge and most are happy to chain through their stereo multi Fx.

I was given a TC MOne XL (studio) reverb which I have in my studio rack, it definitely sounds better (but not from a colour perspective, both are nice and transparent).  The MOne has a patch called "for guitar" which has a mild delay and nice reverb.  Basically I just dial that up and get the gain right. It sounds superb.

Yes now that I have the perfect preamp and power amp it's gonna be a trick finding the perfect fx. But this is a great sugestion Richard and I will keep an eye out for a Quad on Ebay or Reverb - thank you for the info!  :D
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

Also consider a TC G Major...
I'm trading one in these days, instead of an older Quadraverb or Intellifex:

1) it has a noise gate and eq inside
2) it has stereo INs and stereo OUTs
3) you can buy it for a few money
4) it has a 2290-like delay inside (dynamic delay)
5) it should have an AD/DA conversion better than older stuff or good enough to be used in a chain without a line mixer (while the QV would require a line mixer)
6) it's plenty of effects
On the run again!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

The TC GMaj2 is a very nice gadget, also gives you midi CC control of master volume (and other things).  Down side is they AD the entire signal on input (as do many other modern devices) in which case they are "slightly better" used with a desk rather than chained through (but then you loose the master vol CC capability (and one reason Mike went back to chaining through his), which is not an issue with MP2, but is with MP1).  The Quadverb is probably a better candidate for chaining as I think it has true analogue (not AD converted) direct signal. BTW using a small desk with at least 2 FX sends is the easiest way to run a MP1 rig, so much easier to get the gain structure and FX mix right.  Also (IIRC SC told me this ?) the Intelliflex also has true analogue direct signal and they are great multi FX units.
Although, the TC MOne is a great unit (don't get the XL like I have, it's XLR in and out for studio use).  They are great sounding reverbs and also have all the other time based Fx including pitch shift (very versatile internal routing but only do 2 Fx at once).

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

I've got the G Major (not the GMaj2, the previous one) this evening.
I'm smiling...  :D :D :D

I'm very happy with this unit.
I connected MP-1 stereo outs directly to GMaj and then the multi FX to my amps.
This small stereo rig sounds very good and MP-1 tone is perfect, almost unchanged, more than with the Zoom 9150.
AD/DA conversion works fine within this unit, so I do not need a line mixer for my purposes.

The noise gate works fine also with clean tones, very natural, does not kill dyamic at all.

FXs...well...it's a TC toy...  :banana:

I will do more testing, but I'm happy already.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Iperfungus »
On the run again!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

The Fx in the GMaj are great and the AD/DA conversion is very high quality.  No wonder you are smiling  :whoohoo!: :thumb-up: . A happy Max  :banana:

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

The TC GMaj2 is a very nice gadget, also gives you midi CC control of master volume (and other things).  Down side is they AD the entire signal on input (as do many other modern devices) in which case they are "slightly better" used with a desk rather than chained through (but then you loose the master vol CC capability (and one reason Mike went back to chaining through his), which is not an issue with MP2, but is with MP1).  The Quadverb is probably a better candidate for chaining as I think it has true analogue (not AD converted) direct signal. BTW using a small desk with at least 2 FX sends is the easiest way to run a MP1 rig, so much easier to get the gain structure and FX mix right.  Also (IIRC SC told me this ?) the Intelliflex also has true analogue direct signal and they are great multi FX units.
Although, the TC MOne is a great unit (don't get the XL like I have, it's XLR in and out for studio use).  They are great sounding reverbs and also have all the other time based Fx including pitch shift (very versatile internal routing but only do 2 Fx at once).

:o Wow a lot of stuff in this post I'm not familiar with concerning the TC unit. Lots of new terms for me and features I have no clue about. Time for more ready  :???:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, rack mount (and some floor stomp like Fx gadgets) offer up allot of possibilities. So lots of choices how and what Fx you may (or may not) want to use.  They are very feature rich. One feature they share (and have for many years now) is they can be controlled by MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) albeit to varying degrees. I imagine you know something about MIDI ? Anyway the CC control stuff I posted about is part of the MIDI standard where some aspects of the unit can be controlled in real time (ie while your playing).  Later ADA software versions offered added support for some of this and the MP2 came with it inbuilt (to some extent) from the get go (it was all evolving at much the same time in history).
Upshot is, that some parameters of various midi controllable Fx devices can be adjusted while you play (CC = Continuous Control) eg Master Volume (you can assign a midi compatible CC expression pedal to move it up/down while playing), other parameters you can switch on/off with a CC controller (button).  So you can build a rack of toys, connect them to a midi controller (pedal) and not only change the patch they all go to at the press of "one" button but also change various parameters (on/off, louder/softer, wah etc).  Now the MP-1s midi capability is a bit limited (as in it has no CC capabilities). ADA added some CC capability to the MB-1 (the bass preamp) in the later firmware (EPROM) updates. And the MP-2 has a bunch of stuff you can control this way.
So units like the TC GMaj2 (multi guitar Fx unit) also has CC capabilities, one of which is Master Volume control (but this controls its output, so if you chain through it (MP-1 > GMaj > Amp) it can control the volume/signal to the poweramp), handy, and a big part of why Mike went back to patching his GMaj2 this way.

The whole A/D conversion thing is (to some extent) a pedantic (but justified) aside.  No matter how you convert analogue to digital (A/D) the digital is a sample/representation of the "true/real" signal. Of course this has to be converted back (D/A) to analogue to listen to it.  TC (who make the MOne I use and the GMAj Mike uses) make good gadgets.  However (and like many others in this space) the first thing the unit does is convert the "beautiful" analogue signal (coming from your MP-1) into digital so it can process it and then converts it back to analogue... Some of the older units eg Quadverb, Intelliflex etc maintained a direct undigitised (analogue pass through) route through the unit for the direct "analogue" signal. Does this sound better ? yes marginally, do you care ?, I do but up to you, however, it's good to understand what you are doing and why.

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, rack mount (and some floor stomp like Fx gadgets) offer up allot of possibilities. So lots of choices how and what Fx you may (or may not) want to use.  They are very feature rich. One feature they share (and have for many years now) is they can be controlled by MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) albeit to varying degrees. I imagine you know something about MIDI ? Anyway the CC control stuff I posted about is part of the MIDI standard where some aspects of the unit can be controlled in real time (ie while your playing).  Later ADA software versions offered added support for some of this and the MP2 came with it inbuilt (to some extent) from the get go (it was all evolving at much the same time in history).
Upshot is, that some parameters of various midi controllable Fx devices can be adjusted while you play (CC = Continuous Control) eg Master Volume (you can assign a midi compatible CC expression pedal to move it up/down while playing), other parameters you can switch on/off with a CC controller (button).  So you can build a rack of toys, connect them to a midi controller (pedal) and not only change the patch they all go to at the press of "one" button but also change various parameters (on/off, louder/softer, wah etc).  Now the MP-1s midi capability is a bit limited (as in it has no CC capabilities). ADA added some CC capability to the MB-1 (the bass preamp) in the later firmware (EPROM) updates. And the MP-2 has a bunch of stuff you can control this way.
So units like the TC GMaj2 (multi guitar Fx unit) also has CC capabilities, one of which is Master Volume control (but this controls its output, so if you chain through it (MP-1 > GMaj > Amp) it can control the volume/signal to the poweramp), handy, and a big part of why Mike went back to patching his GMaj2 this way.

The whole A/D conversion thing is (to some extent) a pedantic (but justified) aside.  No matter how you convert analogue to digital (A/D) the digital is a sample/representation of the "true/real" signal. Of course this has to be converted back (D/A) to analogue to listen to it.  TC (who make the MOne I use and the GMAj Mike uses) make good gadgets.  However (and like many others in this space) the first thing the unit does is convert the "beautiful" analogue signal (coming from your MP-1) into digital so it can process it and then converts it back to analogue... Some of the older units eg Quadverb, Intelliflex etc maintained a direct undigitised (analogue pass through) route through the unit for the direct "analogue" signal. Does this sound better ? yes marginally, do you care ?, I do but up to you, however, it's good to understand what you are doing and why.

Awesome Richard, real good break down of the is stuff - thank you!
 As, or if I go into these things I will refer back to these posts, thanks again!  :thumb-up:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up