ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Power Amps - ( I hope this is the right spot for this )  (Read 11325 times)

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter

Well Folks this week I purchased the Mesa Boogie Stereo 2:50 power amp as a companion to my new ADA MP-1 rig, which everything should be here this week, I'll post pics when everything is setup and running.
 I chose that power amp mainly because of the being able to switch the power tubes from EL34's to 6L6s and find my new tone and voicing.

I'm very curious as to everyone thoughts on power amps, whether you use tube or solid state with your ADAs - just curious everyone's thoughts?  :D
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

Hi Dan,

I thought about one of those a while back, but decided against it because I believe that Mesa poweramps have a definite coloration to the tone of any preamp they may have through them, which is definitely a Mesa tone.
    Personally, I'm holding out for something along a more vintage tone quality, like a VHT 2/50/2, and if I can find one that I can afoord, an ADA T100S. The main preamp I want to use these on are the Classics I have, since I feel that falls into a more vintage tone than the MP-1 or MP-2.
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter

Hi Dan,

I thought about one of those a while back, but decided against it because I believe that Mesa poweramps have a definite coloration to the tone of any preamp they may have through them, which is definitely a Mesa tone.
    Personally, I'm holding out for something along a more vintage tone quality, like a VHT 2/50/2, and if I can find one that I can afoord, an ADA T100S. The main preamp I want to use these on are the Classics I have, since I feel that falls into a more vintage tone than the MP-1 or MP-2.

OK good to know Harley!
Back in the 91' when I had my first rack system the Mesa was the king and I had never checked anything else out really. The VHT stuff was on the market but no one dealt with it here in Vegas, only L.A. so that's what I went with. Once again though I'm gonna have to probably just pull the trigger and buy one when I get a little more money ( after this last week of buying two MP-1 and Mesa 2:50 ) check the VHT stuff.

Now as for the coloring, Harley can you describe that in any way? Like is it darker or how could explain it, if you don't mind Sir?  :D
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

Hi Dan,

I wouldn't call it darker or anything like that, it's more like the modern amps vs. the vintage ones. It's kind of like comparing a 1969 Marshall Plexi to a Mesa Dual Rectifier. They aren't even remotely like each other, The newer amps are much more aggresive, and have the ability to project much more distortion saturated tones with clarity, whereas if you tried to get that much gain from the older amps, it would sound much more like a carefully engineered fart.
   I think the Mesa power amps wouldn't retain that vintage type of tube compression, but I could be wrong. Like everything else when it comes to gear, it all boils down to what pleases your ears.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Well my take: boogie stuff sounds like boogie stuff, not a sound I like but obviously some do  :dunno: . And Roland stuff all has a "boxy" roland sound  :facepalm: . While there are many power amp possibilities out there, (and a crap load of posts on this topic elsewhere here), tried and true (for my part) is ADA B200s  :thumb-up: , Carvin TS100 (all tube and also EL34 or 6L6)  :metal: , or Carvin DCM 200L  :banana-rock: .  RG also has some good poweramps that he uses live.  What you want is clean, transparent and "guitar" friendly.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento

I can vouch for the B200s, T100s, and the MicroTube 200 being great candidates. I use my MT200 today, but if I find a B200s, I'll grab it (funds permitting).

BTW: Well Engineered Fart would be a great band name or song name

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter

OK really good to Folks and thanks you!
I just missed out on a mint condition Carvin TS100 ( chrome face ) and the guy only wanted $375!
The Mesa 2:50 will be here by Thursday so since it's already coming and I have a new set of EL34's and it's stock with 6L6s I will run it through it's paces. If anything, Boogie stuff seems to really hold it's value and I can return it or resell it.  :D
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

Yes, Mesa gear is pretty popular with the modern grind core crowd.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

I suspect the Messa 2:50 will work pretty well (not that I've tried one with ADA preamps, but others have.  Also the Peavy offerings are popular among our members. And boogie stuff does seem to hold its value.

I have a B200s (love it) and a Carvin TS100 (came with 6L6, though will also take EL34s) and it's a great amp, and most recently I bought a Carvin DCM200L (works fine with both MP-2 and MB-1 bass setup).  The DCM200 is very light and 1RU so good if you are space/weight challenged.  All the tube poweramps weigh allot (power transformer(s) output transformers).  The TS100 is quite a bit lighter though than some of the earlier tube amps.  IIRC the ADA T100s weighs more than Dante's (old) car LoL. Albeit a very nice amp and next to impossible to find.

I had a MT100 briefly, not my fav amp and it was US voltage  :facepalm: .

rADAr

Well Folks this week I purchased the Mesa Boogie Stereo 2:50 power amp as a companion to my new ADA MP-1 rig, which everything should be here this week, I'll post pics when everything is setup and running.
 I chose that power amp mainly because of the being able to switch the power tubes from EL34's to 6L6s and find my new tone and voicing.

I did not know that you could switch tubes from EL34 to 6L6 in the 2:50. This sparked my interest, because I love both EL34 and 6L6 tone. Is it possible to use 6L6 on one side, and EL34 on the other?
ADA MP-1 2.01 Stock
ADA MP-1 1.38 w/MRDT+2.01 upgrade

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

From the looks of it, I would say no because there is only one bias switch which means it controls all four power tubes. I think mixing tubes in that amp may cause damage if you run it that way.

rADAr

Yeah, you are probably right about that, Harley.

I know the Randall RT2/50 has this option to use 6L6 on one side, and EL34 on the other, but this amp is very rare and hard to find.
ADA MP-1 2.01 Stock
ADA MP-1 1.38 w/MRDT+2.01 upgrade

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

I think there may be a few others out there that have that option. Maybe even Carvin has one.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

You can run the Carvin TS100 with EL34s on one side and 6l6s in the other, Jerrod the bobo was into this idea.. but why ?? Ok so you can (and that's good enough reason to try) and it will no doubt have a subtle effect on the (stereo) soundscape.  My Carvin TS100 came with a nice set of GTs, and the output tubes are 6L6s.  When I swap them out I'll put in some EL34s, but the 6L6s work well as a nice clean transparent power amp (which suites MP1/2). Funny though, while I really like the TS100 I still prefer the B200s...

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

Well for me I like tube amps better for the MP-1.Although they also sound good on SS amps.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up