Non ADA Gear > Rack Gear

Matrix Poweramps opinion?

(1/4) > >>

WickedBlade:
Hey guys,

I've been itching for a Matrix poweramp for a long time, but since they are not-so-cheap and hard to get (you gotta special order them here) I'm quite reluctant to take this leap of faith. Any opinion or hands-on experience would be awesome.

So, according to Matrix Amps, their GT line is specially designed to emulate the 'tube feel', in a compact, lightweight, and robust package. Kind of like the mosfets of old.

My concern is that in this day and age, most people who use these poweramps have been using them with some kind of modeller (Axe-FX in particular), whereas I would use one with my trusty MP-1. I'm currently using a Mesa 50/50 power amp (old model) but the weight is a major drawback, so I'm looking for modern alternatives. I do want to keep the tube feel, of course.
So I'm worried that the Matrix stuff would be too modeller oriented (and maybe to hifi?) and not so good with traditional preamps. Also, I noticed that their amps don't have any presence control, and I find that this is an essential part of tweaking my tone, so this gets me worried of not being able to cut through the mix. I'm aware that the MP-1 has its own Presence control, but that can't be used for tweaking depending on the gig place's acoustics.

So, has anyone ever tried one? What did you think?

PS: I considered the Rocktron Velocity for a time but there's no unanimity on their value. Also, I would prefer something new, so no MosValve or ADA stuff for me. But suggestions are welcome.

El Chiguete:
Interesting thread... I'll like to hear hands on comments too.

guitarbed:
I have a Matrix GT1500 fxbd. I play it with my Soldano X88R (but VHT BB for live).
I'm looking to lighten a system to go Repeat. The sound is good but it is not as good than a tube amp (i compared with Mesa 20/20 and VHT BB). I expect this week to a MP2 to lighten more. I will tell you if it works well.

rnolan:
You might give the Carvin amps a try.  I bought a TS100 all tube 2RU includes presence knob. Very nice (new) amp and I like it allot but, like all valve power amps, it's not lite so I gave it it's own 2 RU rack.  I know of someone who uses a 1 RU Carvin (http://www.carvinworld.com/products/DCM200L) which apparently works well with tube preamps.  Small (1 RU) very lite, clean and transparent but no presence knob.

WickedBlade:
I'm not sure who you're adressing exactly, rnolan (since I already have a tube poweramp and guitarbed says he wants to lighten his rig), but thank you for mentioning poweramp alternatives anyway  :)

Just for the record, I've already heard good things about Carvin, but their products are hard to come by where I live (France).

Anyway, I guess that Matrix stuff isn't the tube alternative I was hoping for, so I'll have to keep the heavy poweramp for now, unless someone comes by and suggests a nice, light-though-powerful poweramp, that is.

EDIT: I hadn't realized that the 1U Carvin poweramp was not tube-based, my bad. Sadly, they are still hard to come by for me... But thanks for mentioning them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version