ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NWD (New Wah Day)  (Read 6772 times)

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
NWD (New Wah Day)
« on: Time Format »

As mentioned in another thread, I have a new (to me) wah. It's a Dunlop Crybaby 535.   Not to be confused with the Dunlop Crybaby 535Q and I have no real idea what all the differences between them are other than by comparing pics of the two different units.  Information seems to be somewhat sparse about this 535, so YMMV. 

It has a 4 position knob switch on the side that appears to adjust the range of the wah, and a button for Boost.  The actual Boost level can be adjusted on the bottom of the pedal, and there are 2 LEDs at the top.  Green for Wah On, Red for Boost On.  I didn't get a good demo with it in the store (as stated in my Rant thread) but I bought it anyway as the price was just too good to pass up.  It did sound really good here at home, and tonight I'll give it a go at rehearsal with the big toys.

I didn't take pics of the wah yet, but did find a few good pics lifted from the net to use for now.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: NWD (New Wah Day)
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Mine is a first gen 535Q which works at 18V, later models worked on 9V.The later models also had a side switch to turn the boost on and off and the q and boost pots are on the side while mine are under the ground plate and I have no boost switch. Another difference is that the new ones are all SMD, mine is through hole.I also have a dimebag wah wich is more or less a 535Q with an extended range (but also 9V) and sometimes it clips when I use EMG's ,don't have that with the 18V 535Q.
No led's in mine and it has a 6 position range switch.

I did replace the original inductor with a red fasel at one point. Both are very good wah's with a lot of tone options but not as good as my dunlop rack wah.
« Last Edit: Time Format by MarshallJMP »

Kim

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Ah, I didn't bring it back home with me tonight otherwise I would've taken a pic of the inside.  Of course I looked in there and iirc it looked like there was a lot more stuff in there than what's in MJMP's 535q pic.   I'll get a pic this weekend.

But at rehearsal tonight.....OMG it sounded awesome!!   :banana-rock:  Or, at least it sounded like the sound I always had in my head and way more pronounced than the Morley Tremonti.  The Morley was just...meh.  I love that the Morley is Step On=On, Step Off=Off but it doesn't sweep down low enough.   I had a few issues with switching the Dunlop On and Off as quick as I needed (like I always had in the past with the traditional wah pedals)....maybe I just need to suck it up and get used to it...but if I could somehow get the Dunlop guts to work in the Morley chassis lol.

My plan for now is to try to use both wahs.  One for the quick On/Off in the higher registers, and the other for the real meaty wah sound I need in the lower registers.  I didn't bring an extra patch cord to use both tonight, but I'll set it up like that next rehearsal day after tomorrow.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Yeah the switching on the dunlop wah is not ideal. I have that problem too sometimes.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Do those Dunlop wahs still have a tone/volume pot? If so, that's what got me to stop using my ol' GCB95, and my Jimi Wah. I was tired of buying new pots when the old one got scratchy.

I'm not sure what sonic quality my Boss V-Wah is, but it's good enough for who it's for (bunch of drunks screaming Freebird), and there's no pot in there, so it never wears out. I can dial up a wah model (yes, it's kinda a little modeler and it's all digital) and adjust the wah range (usually very low - this thing has too much range) and I'm good. The one thing that got me about this wah, besides not needing to replace the pots, was the lower end range - very Satriani-esque. That's all I wanted

It's also got a boost (in the heel button) which is ideal for clean patches, not so for dirty ones.

One other added benefit: it's lightweight, great for a pedal board

Some rack wahs I've heard sound amazing, but for the money and convenience, this little pedal gives me several wahs to choose from on the fly. Also keep in mind, I use my wah primarily on clean funk tones (like some Bruno Mars, Michael Jackson, Prince's I Wanna Be Your Lover), only a couple heavily driven tones, like the solo in Let's Go Crazy by Prince. YMMV

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Mine do but I must say they still function good.The rack wah has a one in the pedal but it doesn't pass audio so it doesn't affect anything.

Kim

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I've never owned a Dunlop wah long enough for that pot to get bad.  lol
The Morley doesn't have that pot.  It's some kind of opto-electronic setup instead.  That was one of Morley's big selling points; there's no pot to get scratchy or go bad like the traditional styled wah pedal.  I think the old vintage ones still had them though and they were operated by a string iirc much like an old radio channel knob would turn the channel switcher and move the indicator across the panel?  Those vintage ones were HUGE btw.  Much bigger in size than the modern Morley pedals.

One thing I would change on this 535 is the location of the status LEDs.  They are at the front of the pedal away from me and hidden from view to me by both the rocker pedal itself and my foot.  I'd move them down towards me and maybe beside the rocker pedal so I can see them.  Shouldn't be too difficult to move them to a better spot.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

I've never owned a Dunlop wah long enough for that pot to get bad.  lol

shaddup kid, and get offa my lawn

I'd have to buy a new pot every year. Maybe I live in a dusty area - maybe I carry dust wherever I go

Kim

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Here's the pic of the inside. 

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

looks quite different from mine actually.

Kim

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Update: 

Well, I ended up selling the Dunlop 535 for the very reason I explained about the switching.  Just too darn awkward for me; I know people have used them like that just fine since the dawn of time, but I just can't seem to bond with that.  My Tremonti just keeps winning the day for me, and am enjoying it more than I used to.
Oh well, itwas fun.  I sold the 535 to buy another Rolls MidiBuddy so all is good.   :thumb-up:

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Good for you, givin it a try. I've done that with more gear than I can remember.

Look at the bright side, you got an extra midi controller out of the experiment  :thumb-up:
Pages: [1]   Go Up