ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery-less mod  (Read 22008 times)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: Battery-less mod
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Great, let me know if you have any questions should you find one and are not sure about something.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

OK this seals the deal for me then Marshall JMP - the ability to download and save on the  V2 versions is huge to me. Those are the ones I'll look for from now on!  :green-banana-smiley-emoticon:
Hey Dannyjoe, it's not the MP1 hardware version that has the added program save and restore.  You can (and we do) put a v2.01 EPROM in our V1 MP1s so we can do this.  It's the added midi/sysex functionality in the later EPROM version that you need.  So if you find V1 MP1s for a good price, you can always update the EPROM.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

OK thank you rnolan!
  I will keep this in mind because I have put the word out that I'm looking for MP-1s to build up my cache again so if I have repair issues. I will contact you or someone on the forum here :D
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Ahh a cache of MP1s  :whoohoo!: , what could be better ?  hmm, a cache of MP2s  >:D ,  you haven't discovered them yet it seems ?  And then there's the MP1 Classic, I don't have one (yet), but I daresay I'll get one (or 2) someday LoL. From what the Classic owner members say, it could become my goto guit preamp ???  And I'm loving my MB1s, awesome bass preamp  :thumb-up: .

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

I'm kind of thinking I should at least have one more MP-1 that's stock, but not at the prices I'm seeing on Evil-bay, they're just not worth that much.

I'll definitely stand by my Classics though...the closest thing to Plexi that ADA ever came up with, and I'll put it up against any of the boutique amps that are out there trying to copy and hot-rod the Plexi design. (Friedman, Metropoulos, Reeves, Mezzabarba, etc.)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, how many classics do you have ?? maybe we could swap ? I have a US stock MP-1  :dunno:

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard,

I have two, one working, one not, but I plan to fix that ASAP. I doubt if I would let go of one, because again I would want to have a back up.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, I understand  :thumb-up: . Let me know though, or if you see one..

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard, there aren't many of those on Evil-bay, and they are way too expensive most of the time. If I see one near Australia, I'll be sure to let you know.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

Thanks Harley  :thumb-up:

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

Ahh a cache of MP1s  :whoohoo!: , what could be better ?  hmm, a cache of MP2s  >:D ,  you haven't discovered them yet it seems ?  And then there's the MP1 Classic, I don't have one (yet), but I daresay I'll get one (or 2) someday LoL. From what the Classic owner members say, it could become my goto guit preamp ???  And I'm loving my MB1s, awesome bass preamp  :thumb-up: .

Well Richard back in 94' I believe was when ADA unveiled the MP2 I was one of the first guys here in Vegas to purchase one. I was extremely interested in the noise gate among other things. At the time it seemed a completely different voicing and I found the gate fluttered or what I called respirated and I ended up having to still use the Rocktron Hush.
 So When the MP-1 Classic came out I bought that too and still again the gate problem for me and a departure from the MP-1 tone.
However with all the info and mods and upgrades you all speak of on here I may to revisit these other units.

So a quick question for anyone wanting to chime in - Did/do either the MP2 or Classic have settings or patches that are based on the MP-1 and is there a fix for the sputtering gate?  :)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

Hi Dan,

The MP-2 came out in 1989, and I know there is a chip upgrade for it that also helps solve the gate chatter issue, but I haven't heard of one for the Classic though. I've never had a problem with noise gate chatter on the Classic.
    I believe MJMP has the upgrade for the MP-2, or knows where to get them.

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

Hi Dan,

The MP-2 came out in 1989, and I know there is a chip upgrade for it that also helps solve the gate chatter issue, but I haven't heard of one for the Classic though. I've never had a problem with noise gate chatter on the Classic.
    I believe MJMP has the upgrade for the MP-2, or knows where to get them.

Wow my memory these days LOL! Then was it the Classic that came out in 94" Harley? I have lost track. Though this is good about the upgrade for the gate. Do you think you can get the same tones out of the later models as the MP-1 or are they different voicings?
 I wish I had a way to try this stuff out and hear the different versions of ADAs. Other than buying them which will cost a lot of money, I'll have to try and find other Depot members hopefully on the US West Coast to maybe sometime hook up.
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

Hey Dan,

Yes, it was around 93-84 when the Classic came out and the MP-1 was discontinued. The classic replaced the original, but they don't sound the same for the most part.
    The Classic has an added voice they called "Brown" tube voicing. There were some other notable differences in the Classic. It also had a built in noise gate, Stereo effects loops, and Direct outputs on the back with a selectable cab emulation.
    The Classic retained the ease of editing and storing presets that you had with the original MP-1, but I find the Chorus is much more subtle than the original and the MP-2.
   To my ears, the Classic doesn't have as much low end range as the original, but it's overdrives are much smoother and it's very responsive to your pick attack, so you could be in a well overdriven gain setting, but clean it up by softening your pick attack and /or rolling your guitar volume knob back. It's very dynamic and responsive, like a vintage amp should be.

Dante and Gibsonrich are out on the Left Coast, and a few others, we're all over the map! :lol:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

In the MP2, early on there was a resistor change to fix gate chatter, most MP2s seem to already have this fixed (R612 was it ?)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up