ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP-1 - volume drop/chorus  (Read 4001 times)

Joe P.

MP-1 - volume drop/chorus
« on: Time Format »

Hi All - does anyone experience an ever so slight drop in volume level when engaging the chorus on the MP-1?  I'm talking a very slight drop, but definitely a noticeable change in level - not drastic though.  I have four (4) original MP-1's... three are V2 running the 2.01 firmware, and one (1) is V1 running the 1.38 firmware.  I've spent a lot of time with the T4 trimpot - still notice an ever so slight drop once the chorus is turned on regardless of where I set T4.  This happens on SS and both tube voices.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: MP-1 - volume drop/chorus
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Joe, are you running it in stereo ?  The stereo chorus is where the MP1 becomes (pseudo) stereo. My thought is that if you are running it in mono, the chorus will be directing some of the signal to the other channel (which in mono is not being used).  Try a pair of headphones (which will be stereo) and compare ?
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Joe P.

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hi! I'm running it in mono.  I forgot to mention in my post that I did try with my headphones and it sounds absolutely amazing... unreal!  Is there a specific output on the MP-1 that I should be using when running mono to get the best sound from the chorus and overall best sound from the unit?  From my guitar I usually just go straight in to the front input, then output "A" on the back to one of my B200s power amps...then to an EVH 2x12 cab... or a Peavey 5150 4x12 cab.  Very simple but gives me a world of tones.  I sometimes put some reverb/delays in between or in the loop like a Boss DD-3 or DD-6 or a Boss RV-70 rack reverb... but nothing that takes away from the original magic of the MP-1.  Thank you for your help!  :)   

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

It doesn't matter which output you use for mono,they will sound the same. Only if you use it in stereo you will be able to hear the difference. The way they do it is that after the effectloop the original signal is split into 2 signals,one signal gets mixed with the chorus signal,the other signal gets mixed with also the chorus signal but this chorus signal has a phase shift of 180°.

T4 has got nothing to do with gain,it's the bias voltage for the BBD chip. And it's best left alone if the chorus is working.

What does happen if you turn on the chorus the original signal is dropped in gain because else the signal would be higher due to the fact of the chorus signal mixed with the original signal.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

What does happen if you turn on the chorus the original signal is dropped in gain because else the signal would be higher due to the fact of the chorus signal mixed with the original signal.
So you get a very small vol drop (as you are experiencing) in mono ?.  So maybe use both cabs and run in stereo (you'll never go back to mono  >:D ).  If you are worried about different speakers on each channel, you could mod the Peavy 5150s wireing and make it a stereo cab  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: [1]   Go Up