ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: That's It, I'm Done.  (Read 13199 times)

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
That's It, I'm Done.
« on: Time Format »

I'm having a bonfire in my back yard tonight, and all my guitars will be going in it. 

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: That's It, I'm Done.
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Yep! She's ripping it up. I've seen a few of her videos on the tube.

It's nice to see that the newer generation still has a few kids interested in playing actual music instead of just making the guitar sound like an angry hornets nest.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

PrimalScream91

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Yep! She's ripping it up. I've seen a few of her videos on the tube.

It's nice to see that the newer generation still has a few kids interested in playing actual music instead of just making the guitar sound like an angry hornets nest.

Harley 8)

Agreed, when I was in High School and I'd talk to people about my favorite guitarists, at least half of them would turn their nose up because "if they're not on the list of 50 fastest guitar players, they're not worth listening to."

Sorry mate, but I'll take Lindsey Buckingham over Synyster Gates any day.
Guitars: Couple Gibsons, Couple Fenders, Couple Kramers, Couple others...
Amps: MP-1, MP-2, B200S, Couple Marshalls

vansinn

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Indeed, she's very very good. Didn't know of her, but 5 secs into the video, I said she's been trained from 5-6-7 years old in classic guitar, and quite so, I just discovered.

Now, no need for the bonfire ;)  I've seen several amazing young talents, and while they can play insanely fast with insane precision, most of them lack the intimacy and feelings repertoire - which is not meant in any negative way, as this is simply is a matter of the life experience they cannot possess at this age.

I'm not a specific fan of Zakk Wylde, but I do agree with what he said in an interview: "Whatever you do, man, you gotta have the blues with you, man" - which arguably may not be the emotion set most suitable for translating Ludvig van to electric guitar ;)  just sayin'..
And of course, to really learn guitar, learn to play slow. Listen to Jeff Beck.

What I mean with this is that while I do find such playing absolutely amazing, it easily starts getting boring, just like speed metal with endless cascades of sweeps and arpeggios.

This specific lovely young girl does express some of the above mentioned qualities. It's a fast-paced piece, and as such allows only brief moments for such, but I see her abilities on the finger/wrist vibratos. Very neat playing, indeed.

Another of my favorite girls is Sarah Longfield (AKA SaraShreds). Might be worth looking up her videos and dig "Building the Church" ;)
And Sarah compose quite a lot herself. I believe she decided to go the music academy way (she asked for advice on this over at sevenstring.org a couple years ago).

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

My nephew is going to be a much better guitarist than me very soon. He's my sister's son and I couldn't be happier or more proud.

He began formal training on violin at age 5, cello by 7, guitar by 9. He's 17 now, and is always pulling out something fantastic for me to learn when I see him at my parents' house (his grandparents). I always bring a guitar when I know he'll be there. Last time, we each brought our acoustics and he taught me "Wonderwall" by Oasis and I taught him "Never Tear Us Apart" by INXS. Any song is fair game, any genre, the kid's good. Country, Jazz, and yes, METAL. (you gotta hear the kid playing Satch Boogie - whoa  :o)

For high school graduation, he played "Take 5" (Dave Brubeck) in his Jazz ensemble and did an acoustic accompaniment for Green Day's "Best Time Of Your Life" with some girl from his school. During Take 5, he played a Schecter C-1 E/A that I gave him for Christmas a few years back. He likes using that guitar for Jazz, once again, I couldn't be more proud.

Now, I'm wondering which guitar to give him next ;)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Here's another version from a guy that did this a few years ago, his version is slightly better.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I agree with Vansin on this to some extent.

Who cares about these videos?  The internet is full of lots and lots of these insanely good Proficient  players doing things like this.  And you know I admire the skill and the talent it took to learn the music and play it so well.

But ultimately for me (now this is just my opinion) these videos are the most boring things I have ever had the misfortune of having to sit through.  The novelty wears off after about 1.30seconds.

The one with the girl must be doing the rounds as my friend and fellow band member sent it to me and said "wow check this out".

I replied saying "I've seen people doing similar things and this is just another one of those videos and for me it's boring now".  She probably was trained from day one by who ever it was in her family who could afford to send her to lessons and good for her.  Not everyone gets those opportunities though and has all the time in the world to dedicate themselves to that one thing.  So I'm not really impressed.

Do not burn your f**king guitars, because in YOUR own right.................you are as good as her.

Also I bet she has never written a meaningful piece of music and or lyric in her life.  Bet she has never carried a 4 x 12" up two flights of stairs either and then had to play a show right after and had no sound check  :thumb-up:

Sorry if I am coming across negative guys, all power to her.

Would be good if she cracked a smile once in a while eh  :lol:
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

vansinn

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

I shall clarify my thoughts..

I most certainly care about those too-fast videos; mastering such speed with precision is highly desirable, and I most certainly hope to get time to rehearse such stuff later.
It's when it's being used through a whole play - and maybe becoming a trademark of that player - it starts getting tiresome.
Same with sweeps and arpeggios; lovely and elegant at times, but I get tired of watching Malmsteen diong it like endless orgasms (which otherwise I do not mind, hehe)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

I got tired of these kind of videos about 5 years ago.

I never get tired of some of Yngwies Malmsteens finest albums.  The 1st four of Rising Force's records are f**king immense.  And if he never wrote another good tune ever again, at least he's made those 4 albums..........which gets a little more kudos from me compared to an accurate and perfectly transcribed guitar version of some other composers music.

Thankfully Malmsteen has wrote other good albums since  :)

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Agreed; most of these vids ARE somewhat boring.  But, I am very happy that boys and girls at an early age are taking the time to learn and practice a musical instrument even if it isn't quite to that kind of degree. 

Nobody just wakes up one morning with this virtuoso-like ability to play this kind of music on a guitar.  This takes a serious amount of time, patience, dedication, and therefore some sacrifice....not much time to spend Ducklipping, Snapchatting, Instagramming, Facebooking, Pokemoning, Xboxing, and otherwise sitting around and walking around with their eyes glued to a handheld screen.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

yeah totally man that was a good comment.

However you're a great guitar player yourself so you definitely hold your head up high man if you ever walk into the same room as that chick.

Also sometimes I like a player who has learnt all by themselves, and by ear.  Like George Lynch, Jeff Beck, Clapton and many more including ME :lol:  Doing things by the book all the time can lead to limitations, well this is my view anyways.

MikeB

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Hey Gerry, I think you nailed when you said you wouldn't mind seeing her smile once in a while. That's what kind of spoiled it for me. Amazing playing but totally joyless. I think I'd rather watch EVH going ballistic with a huge grin on his face. I'd like to think that if I could play like that that I could get some pleasure out of it.
I don't feel tardy!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

All good comments here, but I think Kim comes closest to the heart of the matter with his last post about the girl taking the time to learn the instrument instead of becoming another intellectual casualty of todays technology.
    It's good to see that there are still some kids who do take the time to learn how to play an instrument instead of becoming absorbed with the psudo-synthesized syncopated rhythm loops, and electronica enhanced tracks, all of which are over-dubbed with tasteless rap lyrics. This kind of music industry sewage seems to be what is passing for music these days. Maybe one day, these technically-proficient players will actually ask themselves the question: What can I do with my skills on the guitar besides ripping through scales and modes as fast as I can?
    At that point, it's possible that one of them may actually write a new and fresh composition that incorporates some fantastic playing in a catchy melody that will stand the test of time.
   One can only hope :thumb-up:

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Have to respectfully disagree with ya Harley  :thumb-up:

I tip my hat to here outstanding effort and skill and all that, and I have already given credit for that throughout my posts but I'm not giving her credit for being that dedicated to something in this day and age because it's perhaps more difficult what with all the distractions of the modern world, that's a bullshit accolade.   

There are so many kids putting the time in doing this kind of thing.

But that's why it's boring now, it's just another youtube internet whizz on guitar.

It's very hard to stand out these days with anything, we are over exposed to everything because of the internet.  That's just the way it is.  We'll probably never have the heroes or ground breaking players that we used to have as everything has become diluted thanks to the internet.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

+1 Harley,Kim and RG.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up