ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Running ADA MP1 and JCM 2000 in Stereo = amazing  (Read 12474 times)

Chamai

Hi all, here's an excuse to show off my new setup.

I was down at the music store and saw a mint used switchazel pedal ABY pedal. So it suddenly came to my mind to try it out with my MP1 and JCM 2000. I always thought the MP1 was a little thin sounding but it has that 80's mid range that I can't get on my amps even with pre distortion eq and post and all that fun stuff. It sounds way too thin if i want that cheesy 80's mid range So I thought why not pair it up with a tube amp.

As soon as I hooked everything up, I got this huge sound. Even my wife commented on how great it sounds. and this was before I bothered re eqing everything. When running 2 amps with high gain, I really had to thin out the sound a little because I was getting too much low mids. It sounded huge, but muddy. This is where I had to sit down and really mess with my EQ pedal and rack EQ. here is how signal chain goes. (low volume settings, i got kids and wife)

guitar- KORG pitchblack tuner switchazel aby pedal- output 1: Ibanez TS9 - ADA MP1 - FX loop - Fostex 3120 spring reverb - ART 31 band EQ - Mosvalve poweramp - Orange 2x12
                                        output 2: Diamond compressor - MXR mirco amp - Earthquaker devices palisades overdrive - BOSS NS2 - JCM 2000 - FX loop- BOSS ce5 - MXR 10 band EQ - Fostex 3120 spring reverb - Rivera Rockcrusher attenuator - MESA 2X12

Patch setting on ADA B:0, M:-2 T:4 P:2 OD1:4.4 OD2:4.4    dip in EQ from 80hz down, -2 250hz, +1 1khz, +1 2.5khz. 8 o clock on presence knob on Mosvalve
settings on JCM 2000: P:5, T:5, M:4.5, B:5.5 red channel volume: 4, gain: 5.5.  -20 DB on Attenuator. -1 31.25hz, -1 16khz.

ADA is boosted with TS9 on 0 gain and volume @ 3 o clock
JCM 2000 is boosted with Palisades with 0 gain and volume @ 2 o clock

results:
cheesy 80's mids  from the MP1 and  the treble and bass from the JCM 2000. I find that setting the MP1 with low gain and boosting adds an extra layer of distortion giving me a more solid and focus thump. Using an attenuator allows me to cook those power tubes without going death on the JCM. By running 2 amps together, you can get the take characteristics of the amps and combine them. It is very tricky to balance the eq of the amps because you may get a frequency that overpowers other frequencies especially if both amps are somewhat similar since the ADA is based off a modded marshall.

« Last Edit: Time Format by Chamai »
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"

As soon as I hooked everything up, I got this huge sound. Even my wife commented on how great it sounds. and this was before I bothered re eqing everything. When running 2 amps with high gain, I really had to thin out the sound a little because I was getting too much low mids. It sounded huge, but muddy. This is where I had to sit down and really mess with my EQ pedal and rack EQ. here is how signal chain goes. (low volume settings, i got kids and wife)

Hey Chamai, it all good : all your gear is great and should sound awesome... but don't you think your wife is trying to convince you to stop buying gear (like mine is trying to do !)?  ;D
Anyway,do you set it up in every gig ?
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

Chamai

Hey Chamai, it all good : all your gear is great and should sound awesome... but don't you think your wife is trying to convince you to stop buying gear (like mine is trying to do !)?  ;D
Anyway,do you set it up in every gig ?

she's alright with gear as long as bills get paid. what she doesn't understand is why I can't just rock a combo and a few stompboxes like everyone else. i told her it's all about the 80's. even though I was born in 86.

all my stuff stays home coz i never gig as a guitarist. (i suck). And I doubt the sound guy would bother with a stereo setup. Even if he were to run mono, the volume on both amps needs to be perfect. i usually rock the drums and/or keyboard/piano. having 24 experience playing the piano and 13 years on drums i feel much more confident.

my G.A.S is kick in. found a Dean Markley 120 Signature head for sale. i am really curious

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rch/msg/5536806547.html
« Last Edit: Time Format by Kim »
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

That's a nice setup and some pretty good thinking  :thumb-up:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Nice rig, the Dean Markley would go well in that set up  :thumb-up: .  I'd be tempted to use it for the the other chan of the MP1 (I'm assuming you are just using one MP1 output ?? or are you already running the Mossvalve stereo ??). So then MP1 is in stereo (big difference BTW  :whoohoo!: ) and put the Marshall down the middle  >:D . Anyway lots of options.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Chamai

That's a nice setup and some pretty good thinking  :thumb-up:

thank you sir. i am really enjoying this new setup. did a straight trade for a mesa dual rec for my vintage modern. i wasn't a huge fan of the vintage modern. it was too smooth sounding and muffled. traded my jcm 900 combo towards a new keyboard.
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

Chamai

Nice rig, the Dean Markley would go well in that set up  :thumb-up: .  I'd be tempted to use it for the the other chan of the MP1 (I'm assuming you are just using one MP1 output ?? or are you already running the Mossvalve stereo ??). So then MP1 is in stereo (big difference BTW  :whoohoo!: ) and put the Marshall down the middle  >:D . Anyway lots of options.

yea i really want that dean markley. wife for sure wouldn't let me pick it up and had to pay a bit of income tax this year which sucked. I am running mono on the MP1. i would love to try running it in stereo but then i would need another cab or have to rewire my cabs to stereo. have 50/50 of the sound from each amp makes it a lot easier to balance.
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento

Chamai, Nice rig  :thumb-up:   When people ask you where you play, just tell them you appear nightly in the dining room ;)

I tried like hell to get my sound man to run my rig in stereo. No go. The whole PA runs in mono anyway  :dunno: 

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"

Chamai, Nice rig  :thumb-up:   When people ask you where you play, just tell them you appear nightly in the dining room ;)  :thumb-up:

I tried like hell to get my sound man to run my rig in stereo. No go. The whole PA runs in mono anyway  :dunno:

yeah Dante, I like the idea : "I only play home because there is no F@€$$cking sound man on this earth good enough to get my stereo tone"  :thumb-up:

Most of sound man don't  want to bother with additional tracks " less is enough" :dunno:
« Last Edit: Time Format by tomy »
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

Chamai

thanks guys

i just bring my electric drumset to my gigs so i have complete control over volume. the rest of the band uses mic up small combos instead. we went to place small place that came with 100 watt half stacks and the sound guy wants to mic those up too. but their small bass combo does not get mic'ed. sounds amazing pushing a solid state bass amp that gets over powered by 2 mic'ed up stacks. and did i say the sound guy can't balance the volume on the 2 guitarists? i don't know how these guys get hired.
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Wow, seems lots of bad sound guys around (one reason I don't go to gigs much as the engineering is so poor and I just bitch about it all night, the young ones have nooo idea how to xross over a sub for example). Sounds like they are just lazy and don't give a F$$k

Hey TG, If I was your sound guy, I'd be hassling you to run stereo  :thumb-up: and I'd mic and di you.  I'd want you and the FOH to sound the absolute best I can make it (given whatever gear limitations I have to work with).

Before stereo digital FX everything was mono, then there's was the discussion/augment that stereo was no point in a large room (as stereo image is in the centre and not that wide). A load of crap I'd say, it's worth going stereo just for the FX (particularly reverb), then careful panning (eg right guitar a bit more in left FOH, and left guitar a bit more in right FOH etc), you have to blend it all together with the stage sound so everyone in the room gets a decent mix/sound, so it's not the same as sitting down in front of your home stereo in the right "sweet" spot, but it's lots better than mono  :thumb-up: >:D

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

Well it's always better to bring your own soundman.He knows the band and the sound needed.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento

Well it's always better to bring your own soundman.He knows the band and the sound needed.

AGREED  :thumb-up:

Our sound man is considered a part of the band, and he gets an even cut.  O0

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

Hey Chamai,

Nice rig there :thumb-up:

That Palisades Overdrive is made right here where I live. Carl is the mad scientist of sound effects boxes, and a funny guy to boot! That box can dial in anything from the old TS-808, to the heaviest grunge tones.

I never really have a problem with the sound men when I'm playing my stereo rigs. They usually mic me up with two mics when I'm playing my Fender combos, or two line outputs from my Microcab when I'm using my ADA stack. I just ask them to pan one channel hard left, and the other hard right, then they can EQ, and level it in with the rest of the band. That works well even with a mono PA setup. After all, they have all those extra channels for a reason :crazy:

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

A mono PA set up is stupid IMO and it won't sound as good if there are stereo sources (even just FX), if you have no choice well work with what you have, but it's never going to be stereo like you get at home, hence earlier comments...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up