Non ADA Gear > Basses

Alembic basses

(1/14) > >>

tomy:
hi guys,
Here is a pic of my 1981 alembic bass serie II, wood work is incredible and I don't know if you can see, but there is red leds on the edge of the neck, of course it's an active bass and it goes with the little blue box at the bottom of the pix, you can also set it in stereo mode (1 PU per side) that's why at alembic forum they appreciate B500b, because this amp is stereo. I use it this way, stereo out : neck PU to first MB1, bridge PU to second MB1. MB1a to left in amp, MB1b to right right in amp. amp out A to 1x15 cab ada bassline, amp out B to 2x10 cab ada bassline.

It is a very specific way to set up gear. I would NOT recommend that to someone who's looking for a good standard bass tone : onboard preamp looks like a 747 dashboard (get lost sometime)

If I can recommend a "Bob's your uncle bass" for you Richard, it would be ;
-normal scale (easy to find strings)
-passive("F@@€€K ! I forgot to replace battery, and it was dead last time !")
-Good classic bass (precision/Jazz Bass... ) because easy to find replacing part (PU, fretless neck if you want to try...) In a lot of diferents brands Seymour Duncan, Bartolini, EMG, Di marzio.............................................etc

And it's just easy to set up in active

Jazz Bass has real thin neck, while precision's is thicker

If you're afraid with string tension, you take lighter strings ; easier to play and when you got Lou Ferrigno's hand, get bigger !

Check squire, as you're happy with your strat, you won't regret a squire Jazz Bass :thumb-up:

rabidgerry:
the bassist in the band I play in has a Squier jaguar bass.  It's good quality but I f**king loath the shape of the thing.

He never plays it since I told him it sucked hahahaha

He using a Peavey Zodiac and a Rockinbetter 4001.  Both good basses.

This has led to a bass discussion, perhaps this can be transferred to a new thread moderators?

rabidgerry:
That's a gorgeous bass Tomy, really like it.

Guy's use this thread to talk about basses, more in relation to Richard looking for a new one.

rnolan:
I do have a soft spot for Alembics, I played a few way back when, they were always very nice. Unfortunately quite expensive; but exceptional instruments.

Hey Tomy, I like Jazz necks, the bass I built years ago was a Maton EB4 (also very nice bass) body shape with Jazz neck dimensions and IIRC 33" scale. Very nice to play. So the B500b isn't quite the same as stereo, it has 2 separate channels but they have different output power, so as you run it, one channel for the top end and one for the bottom end, perfect for bass.

Hey RG, Yeah I'm not thrilled with the look of the Jaguars either, but they are quite good for the money. Up side is generally our bass players musicman sub lives at my place  :thumb-up:

tomy:

--- Quote from: rabidgerry on April 18, 2016, 06:09:12 AM ---the bassist in the band I play in has a Squier jaguar bass.  It's good quality but I f**king loath the shape of the thing.

He never plays it since I told him it sucked hahahaha

--- End quote ---

I really wonder why  ;D

How sweet you are !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version