ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Downsizing...  (Read 17288 times)

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
Downsizing...
« on: Time Format »

Hey y'all...

since we (family) are slowly but surely getting ready to move from 220/240V Germany to 100V Land of the rising sun in June, I had to make up my mind about wether or not packing and shipping tons of racks and tube amps that are built/wired for 220V...thus making it necessary to get and add some kind of sufficiently spec'd voltage converter (Furman AR, Kikusui PCR1000M,...) adding even more weight (and spending $$$).
Talking weight...my Triaxis/2:90/MPX-G2 rig had a total of 75kg (just the shock mount rack plus gear inside)...add cabinets, footcontroller...get the point?!

Long story short....head or gut decision. Finally ended up selling both the big Boogie rig and my old and trusted Engl Savage SE head locally here in Germany to nice folks who travelled a couple of hundred km to test-drive and pick up / buy the stuff.

I been noodling around with modelers since 2009 (had a DigiTech GSP1101 back then), got an 11R early last year and got an AxeFX II XL+ last December.
I´ve been on a steep learning curve with especially the Fractal unit and was able to get reeeeeally close to my feels-at-home Boogie Mk and Engl tones. Add the surplus of top-notch quality effects, endless routing/parameter/... options.
So I also sold the 11R and finally the Axe II XL+ as well, but just because the AxeFX II is basically the exact same minus some more memory and peripheral connection possibilities (also, the Axe II can be found ~1000-1200€ cheaper than the XL+).

The final evolution of my present rig now consist of an AxeFX II (MkII) and a Roland FC200 (that I got for dirt cheap off the *bay).
The FC200 is a nice sturdy MIDI Controller with Expr Pedal and offers the possibility to hook up up to 6 additional Midi switches/controllers/Expression pedals.
I´ll use the built-in pedal for Master Vol and I´ll probably add another Mission Engineering SP-1 to control the Wah.

I had the chance to gig out with this setup recently, just either using the backline at the venue as poweramps/cabs, active monitors and/or going direct FOH.

Could´t be happier with the sound results, personally don´t even *feel* that big a difference to before, got compliments for my tone and sound don´t have to haul tons of stuff around anymore....

vansinn

Re: Downsizing...
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Which IR's are you using to get a Mesa vibe?  - assuming that's what you'd be after ;)

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Which IR's are you using to get a Mesa vibe?  - assuming that's what you'd be after ;)

Basically, I´m after whatever sounds good to me ;-) I tried a variety of UltraRes IRs (Ownhammer,....) but for the gain stuff I usually end up with the IR of a Traditional Boogie Recto 4x12 (not the oversized) captured with both an SM57 and a KSM313.
Alternate is an IR of an Engl 4x12 with V60
For the cleans it´s an IR of a 2x12 captured with a Beyer M160.

At the end of the day it´s what sounds best to me...so I mostly go by ear and not by name/description of the IR ;-)

El Chiguete

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

You went to the dark side! jeje
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

You went to the dark side! jeje

:lol:

But no I can see why you did this, practical and all.

Why didn't you give me a heads up on selling your gear booooooo!!  I would have bought the furman at the right price  :thumb-up: since I'm saving up for one.  If you did mention on here about selling gear and I missed it apologies.

Japan!!!!!!!!  :o  You will never get to see the band then  :( shame, would have been good to meet you SC
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hey RG,

I was contemplating on wether or not to sell the rig as a whole or strip it to its pieces and sell them individually... I decided against the latter and offered it as a whole package since all components were somewhat matched to each other.

Same for the Engl E660 which I sold together with the Z7 Interface....

Yeah, I saw your European dates...would have loved to come around and meet'n'greet.
So you gotta make sure you play the Tokyo Budokan or Loud Park ;))

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Oh man!!  May be next year we do Budokan!

So tell me, you have zero ADA stuff now?

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Here's a question, will a US MP1/2 etc work in Japan ?  I know ADA did separate transformers for US, Japan and then the rest (of us 240v folks). My "loose" understanding was Japan is 110v and the US is 117 - 120 ?

Hey RG, if my new job works out (fingers crossed, not confirmed yet), I'm going to come over in October and MJMP and I will come check you out  :thumb-up:

Hey SC, any idea roughly when you'll be in Australia ?
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Here's a question, will a US MP1/2 etc work in Japan ?  I know ADA did separate transformers for US, Japan and then the rest (of us 240v folks). My "loose" understanding was Japan is 110v and the US is 117 - 120 ?

Hey RG, if my new job works out (fingers crossed, not confirmed yet), I'm going to come over in October and MJMP and I will come check you out  :thumb-up:

Hey SC, any idea roughly when you'll be in Australia ?

Richard, you're coming over to Europe?  Why for?  lol  That's insanse if you come all this way to potentially watch me do a duff gig  :lol:  But at the same time you and MJMP being there would be cool  :thumb-up:  Jeez getting nervous already, can't let you guys down  :facepalm:

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Iirc, there is an extra transformer wire on some ADA stuff that is unused in the US version...isn't this the 100v lead for the Japan users?  No idea what the mains plug looks like over there,

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Japan is kinda tricky in terms of voltage.
Generally it´s 100V, but the current has 50Hz in Eastern Japan (Tokyo, Yokohama,....) and 60Hz in Western Japan (Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima,...)

The plugs and sockets are the same as US and most US appliances can be safely run in Japan (even though there is a delta of a couple of volts)

@RG: Yeah, I´m completely ADA-, Boogie-, Engl-,...-less right now.
All gear has found great new owners and good homes (buyers came over to my place to pick stuff up, chat, have a coffee,....)
I also only made this step since I now feel comfortable enough with the Fractal. As I mentioned earlier, I have been (and still am) on a steep learning curve with the AxeFX II as it´s certainly no plug'n'play thingy. But once I had figured some things (interactions between certain parameters, programming, mapping, routing,...) out I can get tones that are *almost* 1:1 to my former actual amps.
Getting the correct Boogie Mk and Engl tones was paramount, all other amps in there (and there´s plenty...the Friedman HBE e.g. is to die for btw....) are a nice surplus.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

here is a question for you SC  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

What is better?  ADA MP1/ Mesa Tri or Fractal?

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Sooooo subjective and very individual....

You don't wanna go there ....

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Hey Sc you could kept your ADA's,with the MDRT you can use it worldwide.I did this for customer,i added a 240/120V switch.So when he travels around he can still use his ADA's.Did this with his MB-1 and MP-1.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP,
I was aware of that...but all other gizzmos were 220/230/240V, so it would have meant some voltage regulator/transformer anyway....
I can happily live with what I have right now ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up