ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you organize cables in your Rack Case ?  (Read 3083 times)

Hanneman213

I have 4 units in my rack case. It's completely looking like intestine and chaotic devil work. That means to me 4 power cables attached to a portable Multi Outlet power unit , at least 6 patch cables, 1 midi cable,1 speaker cable and I carry a heavy 110 to 220v voltage converter apart from this case.
After my show I try Huddle all things to space behind the case and close it with an intense effort.

So, How do you solve the power issue ? Any examples for powering all things together through a modification or with a useful device rather than this living room tv-hifi style multipower unit ?

Regards.
ESP Standart V>ADA MP2>TC G Major2>ADA Ampulator>Rocktron Velocity>Mesa Rectifier1x12

bunkyloo

• Tones for days with my ADA's !

A larger rack case and a rackmount power conditioner. Possibly one on wheels large enough to mount your power converter permanently on the bottom plywood and cover the front with cooling fans for everything. That's what I would do any how and obviously route the ac voltage and your converter from any and all audio path cables. Then again I am a fan of big racks! :headbanger:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey Hanneman213, lots of empathy here, it's an age old problem.  I've done various things over the years, my goal was always to have as little to carry and plug in as possible, I also run a 8 channel desk in my rack.  Initially I had it velcroed to the back lid so I just flipped it on top and left it all plugged in.
So there are a few strategies you could consider.  bunkyloos idea is a good one but it may not suit you  :dunno: and also has costs associated with it.Do you have front and rear rack rails ?  Having rear rack rails can help but not all racks have them. Power conditioners (e.g. Furman) typically have a bunch of power outlets which can help organise the AC.  Also they come in different formats of AC outlets either normal power style (though typically US style) or IEC which is more universal.  They also take up a rack space (at least), cost quite a bit, but can be mounted from the back (if you have rear rails).
It seems strange that very few rack cases have an easy way to include a power board.  Power boards come in various shapes and sizes (obviously) so getting one to fit, that accommodates all the different plugs and wall warts (which vary in width) you need is the trick.Mounting your step up tranny (voltage converter) to the bottom is a good idea, careful re weight distribution (as well as keeping away fro input leads etc).  I have one 4 RU rack with a step down (240 to 117) mounted on the bottom.  It's a plywood rack which looks custom made, I got it as part of a MP1 purchase, the MP1 is US model.
My main rack is a 8RU SKB.  Front rails only.  So I've used industrial strength Velcro to attach my small desk to the bottom.  I have a power strip (with just 1 overall on/off switch) velcroed vertically to the very back right hand side (looking from the back).  The Quadverb power supply is large so I have it velcroed to the bottom and side squeezed in between the mixer and the left hand side (its come loose lately so needs some attention  :facepalm: ).  All the various cables I've coiled up neatly and used cable ties to keep the coils in check.  I used to wind my 7 pin midi cable into the rack and leave it plugged in.  These days I keep it in a lead case (I have a small carry case like people use as carry-on on planes).  I also put my MXC, exp pedal and quad switch in the case (with some foam around them), speaker leads, input lead, small (triangle style) guitar stand strobo clip tuner, wrist bands, towel in this case.

Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: [1]   Go Up