ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tonewood  (Read 14008 times)

El Chiguete

Re: Tonewood
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

I kind of hate that guy doing all those videos, because he can be right in some of the stuff he says but his attitude sucks!!!
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

DorsetRatt

« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

I'll give it another go tomorrow to see if my opinion changes :dunno:

Well, same result for me again today. But this is based on the sound clips provided ... I would much prefer to have been there in person so that I could listen directly to how each example sounded through the amp.

I would have said the same before I got the JPLP. But it just sings even not plugged in, like Nigel (spinal tap) says, you can hear the sustain

When you say it just sings are referring to its tone, acoustic volume or sustain?
Preamps: MP-1, MP-1 Classic, MP-2, Soldano SP-77, Piranha
Guitars: Sutch Siran Headless, Palm Bay Tidalwave, ESP M-1, Gibson Flying V

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

I kind of hate that guy doing all those videos, because he can be right in some of the stuff he says but his attitude sucks!!!

Yes i find this too,about the attitude.

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

This guy has no future as luthier :
1st-the guitar he makes are ugly
2nd-the guitar he make have the same tone even when changing wood
3rd-his attitude is not comercial
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

When you say it just sings are referring to its tone, acoustic volume or sustain?

Kind of all 3 I suppose, not so much acc volume, but definitely tone and sustain.  And plugged in sounds even better. I was particularly taken with the quality of the tone and just how much sustain it had (compared to other guitars I have). The JPLP has a single piece mahogany body with book matched maple top. Does single piece make a difference ? or is it mostly the quality of the wood.
I believe it can make a difference what wood you use and various constructions (eg straight through neck/body etc) but nothing like as important as it is for acoustic instruments.

The first guitar I made from scratch (doing a guitar building course >35 years ago) Classical sized body (for even bass/treb reponse), has a western red cedar top (arched to 25' circle), sapeli (African) mahogany back neck and sides, back arched to 18' circle, Gaboon ebony FB and Indian rosewood bridge & binding. Peg head veneer ebony/maple/rosewood. Neck is "Spanish foot" join and LP scale length and widths (I made this to play acoustic solos in the studio). As Van said, sapeli is very well balanced (and lovely ribbon grains) so good for recording. Cedar develops it's tone very quickly then kind of stays that way, it's a bit softer than spruce.  Spruce generally takes years of playing to reach it's potential (a good example is the acoustic guitar on Jethro Tull albums (like Minstrel In the Gallery), melt me.....). For a live stage guitar you'd consider Rosewood back and sides as is crisper and projects well (or sugar maple ala most violins, chelos, etc which also generally sport a carved spruce top). Arching the top and back help volume and reduces standing waves.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

tomy

« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

I just wanted to get back to that topic... what's the goal ?
Does that mean you only need to purchase a fisrt price guitar and put on expensive PU's to get a good tone ? Is that enough ?

So you buy an Ibanez whatever Rg model for 200/300$ , put on
Dimarzio évolution... and ready to  go to kick Steve vai's tone

ARSENAL :

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Various things matter and will affect the tone. The wood has some affect IMO but not as much as the PUs and other hardware (particularly the bridge).  The strat upgrade I just did is much what you are saying, $200 guitar with crap (cheap) hardware.  The new bridge has given it lots more sustain and the new PUs bring it to life. New machine heads will stay in tune etc, it's a valid way to go as long as you never want to sell it, but you do generally get a better guitar if you spend the money.

El Chiguete

« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Yeha but he HAS to admit that different Woods do Sound different... Im not saying that one is better than the other or that one has more sustain or what not... Just that it add to the overal result that males your final tones from your fingers to the speakers (or even then mic and recording method). So for example if you want a night guitar start by having a bright wood in your guitar and go from there!
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

tomy

« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

Ok I agree with you : wood is not so important. And even you get Steve vai's PU signature model doesn't  mean Dimarzio sell Vai's  fingers with

ARSENAL :

vansinn

« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

In my #14 post, I depicted some of my observations over the years. I'm of course not saying this or that wood has no effect.
But consider this: Slab an inexpensive but decently working guitar in the hands of a known player, and I bet it'll sound pretty much like this player.
Now slab this player's fines factory custom workshop guitar in the hands of a mediocre/decent player, and compare the sound..
The term signature sound very much relates to the player's specific touch (and yes, the axe and gear of ocurse has it's influx too).

And the full disclosure: I'm such a sucker for African Kaya mahogany, Canadian and German flamed mountain maple, Macassar Ebony, Siberian Corinna, Hawaiian Koa, Indonesian bamboo (great for laminated necks) - and Brasilian MDF (great for laminated bodies) :bow:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

Some nice wood choices MJMP  :thumb-up:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

Some nice wood choices MJMP  :thumb-up:

What?I didn't say anything,you mean Vansinn?

Now i wouldn't compare a cheap guitar wth a good PU in it to an expensive guitar.A more expensive guitar will sound and play better mostly due to fact of better hardware and better wood work.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

Doh  :facepalm: , sorry MJMP, what was I thinking (drinking)

DorsetRatt

« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

Hey All, I've been reading the following article, useful information ...

http://www.frudua.com/sound_of_electric_guitar_wood.htm

but of course there's always the opposite view ...

http://www.guitarnation.com/articles/calkin.htm
« Last Edit: Time Format by DorsetRatt »
Preamps: MP-1, MP-1 Classic, MP-2, Soldano SP-77, Piranha
Guitars: Sutch Siran Headless, Palm Bay Tidalwave, ESP M-1, Gibson Flying V

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

vansinn

« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

Doh  :facepalm: , sorry MJMP, what was I thinking (drinking)

Aren't those two concepts really mutually exclusive :dunno:
Unless, of course, we consider Rory Gallagher's famous words from his Isle of Man concert:
Now, Whiskey will make you drowsy, but Gin can make you Think! - not speaking from [too much] personal experience.. :nono: :lol:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up